Job TitleGraduate Student Specialist IV
AgencyTexas A&M University
DepartmentGraduate And Professional Studies
Proposed Minimum SalaryCommensurate
Job LocationCollege Station, Texas
What we believe
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values .
Who we are
Texas A&M University's Office of Graduate and Professional Studies (OGAPS) strives to enhance graduate experiences and development of all students, personally and professionally, foster and facilitate interdisciplinary/intercollegiate graduate programs and research activities, provide the highest quality support services to advance creative scholarship and scientific inquiry, and foster an inclusive climate which respects all individuals and their unique contributions. Our vision to achieve recognition as a leader in support of graduate education through innovation, exceptional service, and commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit our website: https://ogaps.tamu.edu/
The Academic Affairs Recruiting Office assisted with the creation and posting of this job requisition for the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies.
What we want
The Office of Graduate and Professional Studies is looking for a Graduate Student Specialist IV to provide support to the Thesis & Dissertation office by focusing on student services. The successful applicant will have specialized skills for advising graduate students/faculty/staff on various aspects of graduate student progress to degree; have familiarity with official University forms; and provide detailed information on and refer students to University resources that can assist in meeting their needs or solving their issues. The individual will coordinate projects, provide programming and outreach, coordinate workflow for pre- and post-clearance processes, perform editorial activities, assist with daily work tasks, and supervise student workers (when applicable). Finally, the individual will be able to work well in a team environment.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two years of experience in office administration or project management
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree
- Experience working in higher education, desktop publishing, training, supervising, and workflow management systems
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of American English usage and grammar
- Excellent oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively and diplomatically with staff and external clientele
- Working knowledge of PDF, spreadsheet, presentation, and word processing software programs
- Ability to plan and organize effectively
- Familiar with standard styles, such as Chicago Manual of Style, MLA, and APA
- Ability to multi task and work cooperatively with others
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of TAMUS Policies and Regulations and Texas A&M University Rules
- Effectively and efficiently performs thorough and accurate review and processing activities of theses, dissertations, and records of study under direction, and in collaboration with other office staff
- Provides timely and accurate dissemination of review feedback to student authors to facilitate manuscript revisions
- Accurately and consistently applies and interprets University requirements for graduate degree programs
- Communicates regularly with students, faculty, and staff regarding specific degree requirements related to degree clearance, as it pertains to thesis/dissertation/record of study clearance
- Reviews and processes required forms for students in COMPASS and other OGAPS systems, related to degree milestone tracking and completion
- Advises on graduate deadline dates
- Provides feedback to graduate students
- Advises graduate students on how to “navigate the system”
- Advises graduate students on how to graduate on time
- Advises graduate students on their dissertations
- Accurately tracks, assesses, and reports data from the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) Submittal and Management System and other databases in order to ensure review and processing work stays on schedule and meets deadlines
- Compiles daily reporting data on the manuscript review progress
- Compiles the month’s fee report data
- Effectively assists with maintenance of Vireo website/database and tracks and monitors needed updates to the Thesis Review System
- Works collaboratively with the records processing team to coordinate information needed to process graduation clearance related to thesis and dissertation submission and clearance
- Works with the Office of the Registrar to create the doctoral sections of the commencement programs for every TAMU commencement ceremony
- Coordinates commencement reports, insertion of all names and dissertation titles, formatting, and copy editing
- Responsibly, effectively, and efficiently develops and carries out pre-submission training and outreach to the graduate student and graduate advising community
- Serves on committees/teams to put in place mechanisms that will enhance communications with student authors throughout all phases of the manuscript preparation, submission, review, and clearance processes
- Delivers quality and customer-service oriented support for student authors and other clientele through seminars, workshops, consultations and pre-submittal conferences, for example; instructs/advises in the writing, preparation, and editing of ETDs
- Utilizes technology and innovative practices to effectively and efficiently guide student authors, faculty, and staff in the preparation of quality manuscripts
- Prepares/maintains instructional materials and videos related to review processes, format & style guidelines, and academic degree requirements
- Works with student authors, faculty and staff to assess needs and recommend means to address identified needs, collaborating with other offices when appropriate
- Creates and maintains all online pre-submittal conference material and other website resources related to thesis and dissertation services
- Assists with maintenance of website format and content to ensure up-to-date content
- Maintains all content in the eCampus thesis and dissertation community and monitors regularly for inquiries
- Engages in timely, accurate and professional communications with student authors and other constituents (via email, fax, phone, and in person)
- Actively promotes teamwork in the workplace and respect in all interactions with internal and external clientele
- Coordinates all Thesis and Dissertation marketing efforts for pre-submittal conferences and all other related workshops and conferences
- Provides timely communications to students, faculty and staff related to semester deadlines and updates to the thesis manual and/or other TDS processes
- Performs other duties as assigned
Special Instructions: A cover letter and resume are strongly recommended. You may upload on the application under CV/Resume.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University and TAMHSC, must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Student Enrollment & Engagement: Manager Of Scholarship Operations, Berklee College of Music, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Description: Under the oversight of the Director of Student Aid Awarding, the Manager of Scholarship Operations (MSO) is responsible for the administration of Berklee’s institutional scholarsh...
Student Ambassador Bryan Campus, Blinn College, United States, about 15 hours ago
Posting Details VEVRRA Federal Contractor - Priority referral protected veterans requested. Position Information Requisition Number 2019066S Position Title Student Ambassador - Bryan Campus Depart...
Post Doctoral Fellow Computational Mathematics, Clemson University, United States, about 7 hours ago
The School of Mathematical and Statistical sciences at Clemson University is inviting applications for one postdoctoral position. This non-tenure-track position has a 9-month contract, with potent...
Postdoctoral Position In Experimental Atomic Physics, Clemson University, United States, about 7 hours ago
A postdoctoral position in experimental atomic physics with highly charged ions is available immediately. The work will involve precision spectroscopy of highly charged ions with emphasis on the d...