Financial Aid Counselor
Working primarily with students attending the ASU Online Campus and those enrolled through an expanding portfolio of corporate partnerships, the successful applicant will evaluate student financial need from a variety of sources including documentation of financial status and personal interviews. The successful applicant will award financial aid according to government, institutional and corporate regulations and guidelines.
FA and Scholarship Services
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$16.11 per hour
- Working almost exclusively through phone calls and e-mails, the successful applicant will counsel and advise students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, costs, indebtedness, money and money management and financial planning, individualizes information to the particular needs and situation of the student and, if applicable, the corporate partner program.
- Collects and/or analyzes financial data on student to determine aid eligibility and make awards withing federal, donor, corporate partner and/or institutional guidelines.
- Evaluates unusual/mitigating circumstance documentation or information provided by the student.
- Exercises professional judgement by making adjustments or revisions to costs, contribution, need, or dependency status as exceptions to the prescribed process.
- Answers questions and requests from students, parents, or guardians in person or in writing regarding financial aid programs and eligibility.
- Assists in preparation of and presents information regarding federal financial aid, scholarships, employment and grants for various campus groups, high school students, and parents at meetings, group discussions, workshops, and recruitment sessions.
- Analyzes various system-generated reports such as grades and enrollment status or award status to verify continued compliance and eligibility of students receiving aid under federal and institutional guidelines.
- Notifies students of changes in eligibility of awards and alternatives to amend the situation. Interfaces with students and lenders, employers, donors, guarantee agencies and/or staff to resolve issues.
- Works closely with internal partners, including Experience Center Agents, ASU Online Success Coaches, Enrollment Advisors and academic units to identify and cooperatively resolve student concerns.
- Assists with other financial aid activities, such as outreach, reporting and monitoring.
Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Business, Humanities or other related field AND one year experience in financial aid student counseling; OR, five years of experience in financial aid or student counseling or directly related experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
- Demonstrated knowledge of government, donor and/or institutional rules, regulations, guidelines, and procedures for awarding of financial aid.
- Demonstrated knowledge how the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation works and how the EFC impacts the awarding of Title IV funds.
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal Title IV financial aid programs, awarding eligibility requirements and supporting regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in automated processing.
- Experience in critical thinking and problem solving.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Family Educational Rights and Privacy (FERPA) requirements.
- Evidence of effective communication skills.
- Experience with computer software skills, such as Microsoft Office products, specifically Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of exemplary customer service demonstrated through actively listening, acknowledging, and responding to every inquiry; taking ownership and resolving each concern or problem as appropriate; exhibiting professionalism and expertise in every interaction and engaging in professional development to meet expectations for service excellence.
- Experience in stimulating changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment.
- Experience in leading by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs.
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions.
Financial Aid and Scholarship Services is one of several departments comprising Academic Enterprise Enrollment which utilizes a variety of strategies to enroll and support a diverse student population representative of Arizona State University's vision. The Financial Aid and Scholarship Services unit strives to provide excellent customer service with the goal to make each student's application for financial aid a simple and affordable process. Each staff member is committed to helping a student finance their education by effectively utilizing scholarships, grants, federal work-study and loans. The unit provides tools to help determine the cost of attending ASU, including a scholarship estimator and a scholarship portal to search for available scholarships. The department provides resources to students to use to budget their money and a student employment unit which processes department request for student workers.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements - Under the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, ASU expects all employees, including new hires, to be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required by December 8, 2021. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s https://cfo.asu.edu/DEI and see “Workplace accommodations”.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Master's Scholarships In History , Central European University ;, Austria, 3 days ago
EARN A DEGREE ACCREDITED IN AUSTRIA AND THE U.S. MA in Comparative History / 1 YEAR / The program is built around the comparative research of early modern, modern and contemporary history. It welc...
Financial Aid Scholarship Counselor, Student Affairs [R0128232] , University of Nevada Las Vegas, United States, about 1 hour ago
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Financial Aid Scholarship Counselor, Student Affairs [R0128232] PROFILE of the UNIVERSITY Founded in 1957, UNLV is a doctoral-degree-gr...
Chief Of Party, Center Of Excellence Water, Office Of The Provost, Grant Position, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 6 days ago
Purpose: The purpose of this position to provide technical, strategic, administrative and budgetary oversight of the Center of Excellence for Water activities within the duration of the project. ...
Registered Nurse: Student Health & Wellness, Champlain College, United States, 5 days ago
About Champlain College: Founded in 1878, Champlain College is a small, private, not-for-profit college in Burlington, Vermont overlooking Lake Champlain and the Adirondack mountains, with additio...
Access And Wellness Student Advocate, The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, about 13 hours ago
Access & Wellness Student Advocate Empathy, sensitivity, and an ability to react quickly while utilizing professional judgment are key to supporting students in distress. From assessing safety to...
Student Recruitment Assistant (Dubai) Dubai Operations 59764 D Band 500 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Student Recruitment Assistant (Dubai) - Dubai Operations - 59764D - Band 500 - (210002K9) Description Position Details Dubai Professional Services, External Relations University of Birmingham, D...