*Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis.
A fellowship opportunity is available with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia.
The selected participant will learn about human health effects resulting from exposure to toxic substances in the environment and techniques for creating quality information to explain human health risks from environmental hazards. The participant will have the opportunity to learn and apply instructional design and adult learning principles in an established national program that provides on-line environmental health education to primary care clinicians. The participant will also learn how clinicians are supported in delivering environmental risk reduction counseling to their patients. The participant will be mentored by ATSDR staff professionally prepared and experienced in health education, health risk communication, and environmental health in all aspects of design, development, and delivery of on-line educational programming. Mentor will provide guidance and debriefing during and at completion of assignments.
Activities the participant will learn from and be mentored in are:
- How to engage subject matter experts in establishing learning objectives, developing appropriate content, and evaluating learner achievements within educational capacity building interventions
- Applying instructional principles to materials developed for clinicians
- Procedures for selecting and reviewing literature on environmental and toxicological health topics
- Drafting educational content that uses adult learning theory and instructional design principles to meet learner objectives in content delivery
- Processes of interacting with graphic artists/web designers as needed for production of on-line educational modules
- Approaches in developing post tests
- Methods of conducting formative evaluation of on-line instruction
Learning Objectives: With the assistance of ATSDR mentors, the participant will learn how to:
- Analyze and establish interventions to address environmental exposure risks to prevent human health effects
- Apply health promotion strategies in reducing environmental exposure risks of patients and community populations
- Apply adult learning theory, instructional design principles, and risk communication methods in the development of environmental health educational materials for both primary care clinicians and their patients
- Synthesize and translate scientific/medical content so that it is understandable and useful for a variety of audiences
Anticipated Appointment Start Date: Early 2021
This program, administered by ORAU through its contract with the U.S. Department of Energy to manage the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education, was established through an interagency agreement between DOE and CDC. The initial appointment can be up to one year, but may be renewed upon recommendation of CDC contingent on the availability of funds. The participant will receive a monthly stipend commensurate with educational level and experience. Proof of health insurance is required for participation in this program. The appointment is full-time at CDC in the Atlanta, Georgia, area. Participants do not become employees of CDC, DOE or the program administrator, and there are no employment-related benefits.Additional Details:
The qualified candidate should have received a master’s degree in one of the relevant fields. Degree must have been received within five years of the appointment start date.
- Academic preparation in public health, environmental health, health promotion, adult education, instructional design, or related fields of study
- Academic experience in analyzing, designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating health education capacity-building interventions
- Strong written and oral capabilities
- Course work in:
- Curriculum Development and/or Instructional Design
- Adult Learning Theory
- Health Promotion/Education Methods
- Environmental Health
- Health Communication
- Public Health
How to Apply:
Connect with ORISE...on the GO! Download the new ORISE GO mobile app in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to help you stay engaged, connected, and informed during your ORISE experience and beyond!
A complete application consists of:
- An application
- Transcripts – Click here for detailed information about acceptable transcripts
- A current resume/CV, including academic history, employment history, relevant experiences, and publication list
- One educational or professional recommendation. Your application will be considered incomplete, and will not be reviewed until one recommendation is submitted.
All documents must be in English or include an official English translation.
If you have questions, send an email to ORISE.CDC.ATSDR@orau.org . Please include the reference code for this opportunity in your email.
Open Rank Faculty Position In Textiles, Kennesaw State University, United States, 3 days ago
Previous Job Job Title Open Rank Faculty Position in Textiles Next Job Apply for Job Job ID 225266 Location Kennesaw, Georgia Full/Part Time Full-Time Regular/Temporary Regular Add to My Favorite ...
Student Roboticist Co Op Fall 2021 Atas, Georgia Institute of Technology, United States, about 13 hours ago
Job Description GTRI’s Cooperative Education (“co-op”) program offers you extensive opportunities to participate in diverse scientific and technological endeavors, use state-of-the-art equipment, ...
Post Doctoral Fellow Pulmonary, Emory University, United States, about 7 hours ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Part Time Positions As Elementary And Early Childhood Education Clinical Supervisors, Kennesaw State University, United States, 8 days ago
Previous Job Job Title Part-Time Elementary and Early Childhood Education Clinical Supervisors Next Job Apply for Job Job ID 225042 Location Kennesaw, Georgia Full/Part Time Part-Time Regular/Temp...
Student Roboticist Gra Fall 2021 Atas, Georgia Institute of Technology, United States, about 13 hours ago
Submit Resume ID:496447 Type:Students: Graduate Research Asst. (GRA) Location:Atlanta, GA Categories:Other Job Description The Robotics and Autonomous Systems Division (RASD) at the Georgia Tech R...
Student Design And Development Lead Engineer Summer 2021 Seal, Georgia Institute of Technology, United States, about 13 hours ago
Submit Resume ID:496433 Type:Students: Intern Location:Atlanta, GA Categories:Embedded Systems, Project/Program Management, RF, Sensors Integration, Signal Processing, System Architecture, System ...