Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation.
- International Wolf Center
- Job Category
- Fellowships & Scholarships
- $6,000 stipend, up to $4,000 research allowance
- Start Date
- Last Date to Apply
- Summary – The International Wolf Center (IWC) is seeking applicants to be the first Dr. L. David Mech fellow. As an investment in the future of wolf research and science-based wolf education the Center will award up to two (2) fellowships in the spring of 2022 for undergraduate students or recent graduates interested in pursuing careers in natural sciences with an interest in wildlife. Fellowship recipients will receive a $6,000 stipend and up to $4,000 in support for field research expenses. Fellowship goals: -Reduce barriers to allow undergraduate students and recent graduates to directly engage in wolf research and field work. -Encourage students from diverse backgrounds to explore natural sciences/wildlife biology as a profession -Provide bridge support for early career researchers prior to graduate school. Description – The mission of the International Wolf Center is to advance the survival of wolf populations by teaching about wolves, their relationship to wildlands and the human role in their future. Since our founding in 1985 by Dr. L. David Mech and others, the Center has sought to provide the latest scientific information about wolves to our members, visitors, program participants, and the general public. We believe that continued investment in scientific discovery about wolves and other wildlife will lead to increased understanding of how to build a future where wolves and humans can coexist and thrive. We also understand that many barriers exist for students and early career researchers and hope these fellowships can be useful tools for opening up access to people pursuing a wildlife biology career. Fellowship Award Details: -Application deadline: December 15, 2021 -Fellowships awarded: January 31, 2022 -Term: through February 1, 2023 -Stipend: $6,000 -Research Allowance: up to $4000 per year Stipends are meant to support study and research during the tenure of the appointment. They are not salaries, and fellowship recipients are not employees or contracted workers of the International Wolf Center. All funds provided, including stipends and research allowances, are subject to tax. Fellows awarded stipends receive a financial summary at the end of each calendar year and are responsible for meeting their own state and federal tax obligations. Research allowances are for equipment, supplies, research-related travel costs, and other support required to conduct the research itself. A budget and general justification for these expenses must be included with your application. It should include any travel costs necessary for participation in the 2022 International Wolf Symposium (see Expectations below) Applicants must provide a letter of recommendation from an academic or professional reference. This letter should assess their project proposal and ability to complete it. Research and fieldwork must be “wolf related” – either directly involving wolves, another wild canid species or a broader study looking at the interactions between several species including wolves. Applicants must be available to attend the International Wolf Symposium in Minneapolis, MN from October 13-16, 2022 Fellowship recipients must be U.S. citizens Criteria for Selection: Fellowship applications will be reviewed by the International Wolf Center selection team using the following criteria: -Special consideration will be given to candidates from communities of color and indigenous communities in the United States. -Demonstration of financial need -Applicant’s ability to carry out the proposed research/field experience -Proposal merit -Candidate’s demonstrated interest in pursuing natural sciences with an interest in wildlife as a career Expectations for Fellows: Fellows will be expected to attend and present at the 2022 International Wolf Symposium in October of 2022. They will be asked to prepare an academic poster summarizing their field research experience and will be recognized at the Symposium banquet. Fellowship recipients will receive complimentary registration to the Symposium and lodging but must budget for transportation costs as part of their research allowance. Fellowship recipients will also be expected to submit a summary report to the International Wolf Center and be willing to be interviewed and photographed by Center staff. These materials may be used in issues of International Wolf magazine or in web/social media posts. Timeline: -Application process begins – October 4, 2021 -Application deadline – December 15, 2021 -Fellowships awarded – January 31, 2022 -Fellowship highlight – Summer International Wolf Magazine -International Wolf Symposium – October 13-16,2022 -Final reports due – Feb 1, 2023 Application Materials: Apply for this fellowship. Along with providing contact information, please be prepared to upload the following with your application: -Cover letter: Should focus specifically on how your application will help accomplish the goals of the fellowship program. -Resume/CV -Project proposal: Up to 3 pages with one extra page for references or figures. -Academic or professional reference letter -Research Project Approval Form – if working with an established research project (please visit the Dr. L. David Mech Fellowship page on wolf.org to download the form)
- Applicants must be either currently enrolled in an undergraduate institution (upper level student) or recently graduated with an undergraduate degree. Current graduate students and those already with graduate-level degrees in wildlife biology or a related field are not eligible. Applicants must have either designed a research project or have been accepted to participate in a research project as demonstrated by the Research Project Check-off from the institution or researcher they plan to work with. Expected participation in the institution’s research can be contingent on receiving the fellowship award funds.
- Contact Person
- International Wolf Center selection team
- Contact eMail
Bookmark the permalink .
Comments are closed.
Seasonal Wildlife Technician Position Eastern North Carolina, North Carolina State University, United States, 19 days ago
Posting Details Posting Number PG191977TM Position Number 15JKP2 Position Type Temporary Essential Job Duties The Pacifici Quantitative Ecology Lab at NCSU is searching for a passionate and qualif...
Ph D Position: Behavioral Law And Economics Project On: Why Do Firms Comply?, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 18 days ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic researcher with a Master’s degree in criminology, economics, law or another relevant social science discipline. Primary requirements are affinity with empirical ...
Ph D Position “Selective Attention In Wild Macaques” (All Genders Welcome) (Department Of Behavioral Ecology) (Id 15859), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, 4 days ago
Einrichtung: Department of Behavioral Ecology (ID 15859) Ansprechpartner: Prof. Dr. Julia Ostner Besetzungsdatum: 01.01.2022 Veröffentlichungsdatum: 05.11.2021 For a new research network to be est...
Internships For Undergraduate & Masters Students (# Of Pos: 5), ICFO - The Institute of Photonic Sciences, Spain, 21 days ago
CFO encourages applications from masters students and advanced undergraduates interested in undertaking a research project with an ICFO group, or their bachelor or masters thesis, which may be up ...
Research Scholarship: Cisuc Uidb/00326/2020 Process 779863, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal, about 3 hours ago
CALL FOR RESEARCH INITIATION FELLOWSHIP Process 779863 University of Coimbra opens a call for one research initiation fellowship, in the framework of the Research Centre for Informatics and System...
Research Scholarship: Cisuc Uidb/00326/2020 Process 771968, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal, 27 days ago
CALL FOR RESEARCH INITIATION FELLOWSHIP Process 771968 University of Coimbra opens a call for one research initiation fellowship, in the framework of the research Center for Informatics and System...