Type of award
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
$40,000 per year for three years;
$20,000 per year for three years, as research and travel allowance;
Fees and living expenses
3 years for the duration of the programme.
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
Up to 20 scholarships are available for the University of Manchester.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available in all subject areas across the University.
Either have a PhD offer to study in social sciences or humanities or be registered in the first or second year of a doctoral programme in the humanities and social sciences at The University of Manchester
Intend to or be doing PhD research related to the four themes of the Trudeau Foundation
This funding is available to international students.
Other eligibility criteria
Candidates must be Canadian citizens.
Candidates submit their application using the Trudeau Foundation's online portal . They will need to create an account and upload their application form and all the required documents (including references and transcripts, but excluding the letter of nomination), as outlined on the Trudeau Foundation's website by 4 February 2019.
Referees provide references which must be signed and clearly indicate their name and contact details.
The Faculty of Humanities Associate Dean for PGR considers all submissions from candidates in the University of Manchester and selects suitable candidates. If successful, the Faculty will provide a nomination letter through the online portal.
The Faculty Associate Dean for PGR will assess nominations based on Trudeau's evaluation criteria:
- Academic excellence;
- Leadership experience and abilities;
- Thematic relevance of research to the Foundation's themes;
- Public engagement;
- Desire to contribute to public dialogue and share knowledge;
- Communication skills;
- Desire to belong to a vibrant community made up of leaders from across sectors; and
- All forms of diversity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, language, region, and discipline. We welcome First Nations, Métis, and Inuit candidates.
06 Feb 2019
6 February 2019
- Candidates must explain explicitly how their research fulfils one or more of the four Trudeau themes
- Their referees must demonstrate how they meet the Foundation's criteria; references designed primarily to support applications for DPhil/PhD programmes may not fulfil this requirement adequately.
- The research proposal should be clearly written, stating the goal of the research, methodology, possible outcomes and how it meets the Trudeau objectives
- Application form and references must be written in English
- For technical support relating to the Trudeau Foundation portal, please contact the Trudeau Foundation directly. The University of Manchester is unable to assist with any technical issues.
- For candidates selected to attend an interview in Canada, the University of Manchester will not cover travel expenses
Contact details for enquiries
Back to list of opportunities
Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher (Ph D Student), University of Manchester, United Kingdom, about 19 hours ago
Applications are invited for a 36-month position of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) in the areas of synthetic organic chemistry or supramolecular chemistry. The successful app...
Ph D: Investigation Of Novel Hox Interactors As Potential Therapeutic Targets In Leukaemia, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, UK, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
This 4 year PhD studentship is funded by CRUK and offered in Professor Georges Lacaud’s group based at the Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute in South Manchester Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML)...
Pgr Teaching, Learning & Students Co Ordinator, University of Manchester, United Kingdom, about 19 hours ago
We are seeking to appoint an experienced administrator to support the PGR Services Team within the Faculty of Science and Engineering. The purpose of this role will be to provide support for colle...
Student Experience And Support Co Ordinator (Enterprise) (0.6 Fte) , University of Salford, United Kingdom, about 11 hours ago
Enterprise and entrepreneurship is a critical element of the University’s long-term strategy for creating a culture of opportunity for both undergraduates and graduates. The University currently o...