- Closing Date
- Monday, 31st October 2022
Applicants are invited to undertake a 3 year PhD program in partnership with industry to address key challenges in on-platform manufacturing engineering. The successful candidate will be based at The Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre (UTC) in Manufacturing and On-Wing Technology at University of Nottingham.
At the Rolls-Royce UTC, we are developing the next generation of robots and its sensing solutions to perform tasks in challenging working environments.
This project is related to the development of smart mechanisms and sensing to support the aforementioned tasks with the following actions:
- Develop the principles and theories for governing the scalability principles for building foldable and reconfigurable end-effectors that are able to access geometrically complex workspaces under positional restrictions.
- Develop smart control algorithms that will allow the end-effectors to communicate with the central control system and coordinate tasks with other end-effectors and host robots.
- Smart sensing systems to support automated manufacturing and maintenance, repair & overhaul. We refer here not only to conventional sensing, e.g. vision, orientation, that are commonly integrated on the end-effectors, but on advanced (e.g. tactile, sound-based, shape) solutions that enhance the perception of the end-effectors so that versatile tasks can be performed.
We are seeking talented candidates with:
- First or upper second-class degree in Robotics/Mechanical/Cybernetics/Mechatronics /Computer Science or related scientific discipline.
- First rate analytical and numerical skills, with a well-rounded academic background.
- Demonstrated ability to develop precision mechatronics system and algorithm
- Ability to develop kinematic and/or dynamic analysis of mechanical/robotic systems
- Ability to implement control and kinematics with hardware-in-the–loop
- Background with relevant packages, (MATLAB, SolidWorks/Creo, ROS/ OpenCV/ python, LabVIEW/C languages)
- A driven, professional, and self-dependent work attitude is essential
- Experience of working within industry will be an advantage
- The ability to produce high quality presentations and written reports
This is an excellent opportunity to work on a novel mechatronics system with strong links to industrial applications and key skills and knowledge in preparation for a high-impact, high-technology research or industrial career
The scholarship on offer comprises a tax-free stipend of over £15,000 a year; tuition fees paid and a generous study package.
Interested in this studentships? Applications with a CV, cover letter and academic transcripts should be sent to Prof Dragos Axinte. Suitable applicants will be interviewed, and if successful, invited to make a formal application. Do not submit your application via the My Nottingham platform without having contacted our team first.
Please contact the UTC director, Prof Dragos Axinte, for further information. Email: email@example.com Tel: 011595 14117
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and notified.
Ph D Funding Development Of An Innovative, Modern Approach To Luminescent Forensic Security..., Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom, 3 months ago
Counterfeiting money has existed for as long as money has been in use. However, gone are the days of shaving coins or engraving a printing press, as modern technologies like digital printing and g...
Ph D Studentship, Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom, 3 months ago
The search for green alternatives to replace our current, energy-intensive processes, is very active. Many industrial chemical reactions consume huge amounts of energy, e.g. the Haber process, whi...