Supervisor: Dr Andrea Mohr, University of Essex
Multiple myeloma (MM) is a cancer of the bone marrow. Due to significant improvements in treatment, the disease can be controlled for several years before the majority of cases relapse. Bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) are regarded as important drivers of multiple myeloma (MM) pathobiology. However, so far it remains undefined how MSCs cause changes in bone marrow immune cell populations and thereby contribute to disease progression. To characterise MSCs in MM, you will study MSCs from patients with different disease stages.
- Culture techniques of mesenchymal stromal cells
- Flow cytometry
- Cell imaging
- General molecular and cellular techniques
- Scientific writing
- Training though the University of Essex’ unique professional development scheme
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Plan and perform experiments, analyse data and contribute to the writing process of scientific papers.
- Keep up to date with the scientific literature
- Attend PhD classes and institutional seminars
- Presentations at conferences, seminars, workshops, etc.
- Liase with clinical partners at the NHS
- Write and defend a PhD thesis at the end of the study program
- We are looking for a enthusiastic PhD student with a high 2.1 or 1st class degree in Biomedical Sciences or a related subject.
- Masters degree in Cancer Biology or a related subject (e.g. Molecular Medicine, Immunology or Haematology).
- Placement year during undergraduate studies is desirable.
- Laboratory hands-on experience in tissue culture techniques is desirable and experience with primary cells would be advantageous, but neither are compulsory.
- Strong communication skills that are compatible with doctoral-level requirements, i.e., writing academic papers and giving presentations in English
- Proficiency in several of the following methods: mammalian cell culture, protein and DNA gel electrophoresis, western blot, PCR, cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, and/or immunohistochemistry
- Ability to follow protocols and work independently
- Good organizational skills, ability to document and analyse experiments
- Ability to work in a team
Please apply by sending a CV (including contact details of two academic referees) and a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the PhD to Emma Revill firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions please feel free to contact the PhD supervisor.
This is a 3 -year studentship fully funded by the East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust. The studentship covers Home fees, an annual stipend of £16,062 and research funding. The studentship is available from 1 October 2022.
Ph D Position (H/F) In Stem Cell Biology, CNRS, Niue, 21 days ago
The iBV (Université Cote d'Azur, Nice, France) is a centre of excellence that focuses on the basic principles governing the development of normal cells, tissues and embryos and those leading to pa...
Ph D Student, University of A Coruña, Spain, 3 days ago
Grant/funding reference: 851179 Job title: Supramolecular engineering of biologically inspired peptide nanostructures - SENSE Research line / Scientific-technical services: Peptide materials Tasks...
Ph D Position Delivery Of Rna Therapeutics Using Polymeric Nanoparticles, Adolphe Merkle Institute, Switzerland, 15 days ago
The BioNanomaterials group of Profs Rothen-Rutishauser/ Fink (https://www.ami.swiss/bionanomaterials/en/ ) at the Adolphe Merkle Institute at the University of Fribourg is looking for a highly mo...
Ph D Position Game Theory Of Cancer And Its Treatment, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 12 days ago
Within the Dutch Research Council project "ANTICANCER: Game theory empowered by data science and control theory to improve treatment of metastatic cancer" we are looking for PhD candidates to join...
Ph D Student Position, Mossakowski Medical Research Institute, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, 12 days ago
OFFER DESCRIPTION Department of Neurotoxicology, Mossakowski Medical Research Institute Polish Academy of Sciences is recruiting PhD student to the NCN OPUS 21 project entitled „Role of GAB glutam...
Ph D Student In Laboratory Of Molecular Pathogenetics, Institute of Biotechnology of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Czech, 26 days ago
Ph.D. student will work on innovative projects regarding different ways in which epigenetic signals and transcription factor networks govern self-renewal, cell specification, differentiation, and ...