Value of award
100% of UK/EU tuition fees plus an annual stipend of £14,777 (at 2018/19 rate). Additional travel and subsistence.
Number of awards
Start date and duration
1 October 2018 for 4 years.
Application closing date
31 May 2018.
Smart Buildings, intelligent infrastructure and pervasive IoT enable a step change in understanding human scale activity and the ways in which these can be aggregated to understand the impacts on movement and consumption of resources.
This PhD will explore data systems, IoT protocols and data formats from BIM and GIS worlds as well as advances in edge computing systems to develop novel means of querying human activity both within and outside buildings and how sensor data captured in a variety of database platforms can be integrated into new analytical workflows. It will consider the transition between spaces and the socio-technical-security-standards nexus that straddle transitional space.
You will be based in the School of Engineering and working closely with the School of Computing Science and the EPSRC National Urban Observatory Facility.
Ordnance Survey EPSRC ICASE award.
Name of supervisor(s)
Phil James , Charles Morrisset, Stuart Barr, Jeremy Morley (OS).
The studentship is open to applicants satisfying EPSRC home/UK or EU fee status criteria, and are eligible for home fees - EU candidates may only be available for a partial award.
Candidates should have a 2:1 degree or higher in Computer Science, ICT, Geography or GIS (or similar level qualification).
How to apply
You must apply through the University’s online postgraduate application system . To do this please ‘Create a new account ’.
All relevant fields should be completed, but fields marked with a red asterisk must to be completed. The following information will help us to process your application. You will need to:
- insert the programme code 8040F in the programme of study section
- select ‘PhD in Civil Engineering (full time) - Geomatics’ as the programme of study
- insert the studentship code ENG028 in the studentship/partnership reference field
- attach a covering letter and CV. The covering letter must state the title of the studentship, quote reference code ENG028 and state how your interests and experience relate to the project
- attach degree transcripts and certificates and, if English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualifications.
For further information, please email Philip James , School of Engineering .