About the job
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering (IMA) has a vacancy for a position as PhD candidate related to development of an emerging battery technology based on aluminium anodes and carbon cathodes. The research project is funded by the Norwegian Research Council. NTNU and the research institute SINTEF are research partners of the project. Industrial partners will also contribute by supplying carbon materials and acting as advisors to the project.
The PhD position will be focused on studies of the carbon cathode, with the aim of identifying the best combination of carbon material and electrolyte for these batteries. The work is primarily experimental, implying that electrochemical measurements are combined with characterization of electrodes. The candidate will get to learn the use different spectroscopic or structural characterization techniques, as a part of the research project. The work will be conducted in close collaboration with researchers in SINTEF.
The main supervisor of the candidate will be Professor Ann Mari Svensson (IMA), NTNU. In addition, co-supervisors will be appointed.
Duties of the position
- Characterization of materials and laboratory scale battery cells using state-of-the art infrastructure for battery research at Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Presentation of results at project meetings and national and international workshops and conferences
- Preparation of scientific papers
The candidate is expected to participate actively in the battery community at NTNU and at Department of Materials Science and Engineering, including mentoring and co-supervision of master students.
Travelling with respect to conferences, meetings and workshops may be expected as part of the position.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in Chemistry/Electrochemistry/Materials Technology/Physics
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Master's students can apply, but the master's degree must be obtained and documented by start-up date.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program (link)
- Hands on experience with relevant experimental techniques related to electrochemical characterization of battery electrodes and cells, or similar devices
- Strong theoretical background in the field of electrochemistry
- Experience with HSE procedures
- Good written and oral English skills
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Experience (hands on) with one or more relevant materials characterization techniques (i.e. XRD, SEM, FTIR, Raman or similar)
- Experience with scientific writing
In the evaluation of qualifications of the candidates, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability. We seek a candidate who is interested in fundamental research, and is motivated to undertake an innovative PhD project, related to early-stage development of an emerging battery technology. Furthermore, emphasis will be put on communication skills, as well as collaborative skills.
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years, with the possibility of up to one-year extension with 25% teaching duties in agreement with the department.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Materials Science and Engineering within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants , and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- A cover letter where the applicant describes personal motivation and relevance with respect to the requirements of this advertisement.
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study programme and grading system.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Name and contact information of three referees
- The required documentation of English language proficiency.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here . If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Working at NTNU
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation . You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Ann Mari Svensson, telephone +47 98230450, email email@example.com .
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Please refer to the application number NVD-427/22 when applying.
Application deadline: 21.01.2023.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
We are Norway's leading educational and research environment in materials engineering, materials chemistry and materials science. In collaboration with business and industry, we are a driving force for the development of innovative materials as well as new applications and manufacturing processes. Activities in our disciplines are vital for the green shift. The Department of Materials Science and Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Natural Sciences .
Deadline 21st January 2023
EmployerNTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Duration Fixed Term
Ph D Position In Recovering Metals And Materials From End Of Life Lithium Ion Batteries (Li Bs) , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 14 hours ago
20th April 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Geoscience and Petroleum has a vacancy for a PhD position in recovering metals and materials from end-of-life Lithium-ion Batter...
Ph D Candidate Within The Field Of Metal Forming And Advanced Manufacturing , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 14 hours ago
9th April 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering has a vacancy for a PhD Candidate within the field of Metal Forming and Advanced Manufactur...
Ph D Candidate In Corrosion Of Reinforcement In Concrete Structures , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 14 hours ago
11th April 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Structural Engineering has a vacancy for a PhD Candidate in corrosion of reinforcement in concrete structures Apply for this job...
Ph D Candidate Within Advanced Materials Characterizations By Apt/Tem , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 14 hours ago
25th April 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Materials Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a PhD Candidate within advanced materials characterizations by APT/TEM Apply...
Ph D Candidate Within Barriers In Food Packaging , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 14 hours ago
15th April 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Chemical Engineering has a vacancy for a PhD candidate within barriers in food packaging Apply for this job See advertisement Th...
Ph D Candidate In Electric Insulation And Flow Dynamics In Power Transformer Windings , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 13 hours ago
11th April 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Electric Energy (IEL) at NTNU has a vacancy for a PhD Candidate in Electric Insulation and Flow Dynamics in Power Transformer Wi...