About the job
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The PhD position is part of Mission Mjøsa. NTNU is leading Mission Mjøsa with Innlandet county in partnerships with municipalities around Mjøsa and several governmental agencies. An interdisciplinary team of researchers within technology, natural science, social science, humanities, economy, and health are contributing to Mission Mjøsa.
Several data sources and surveillance programs already exist for Mjøsa. Mission Mjøsa will in addition generate large amounts of new data streams utilizing sensors such as satellites, surface or underwater robots equipped with cameras or sonar devices. This raises research questions related to, but not limited to, how to structure, analyse, distribute, and disseminate datasets/digital twins for a sustainable administration of Mjøsa and its surroundings.
This PhD project will focus on how to combine, structure, and analyse datasets - existing and new - to facilitate both cross disciplinary research activities and central and local administration of Mjøsa and the drainage basin for a better understanding of the current state of lake Mjøsa.
Mjøsa is one of the most biologically diverse freshwater lakes in Norway with 20 registered fish species, and a source of drinking water for 100,000 people. Today, the environmental conditions in Mjøsa are good, but this may change in the future. The project will contribute to modeling the physical and biological future of Mjøsa. This is with the aim of mapping microhabitats in the water, in order to describe the biological activity and environment in Mjøsa. To realize these objectives, several PhD candidates with partly overlapping themes will work closely together, each focusing on one of the following key areas: biology, geography, geomatics, underwater robotics as well as data acquisition, structuring, analysis, aggregation, and distribution. Data management and digital twins are key factors in the project. Multiple research areas will work in the project, and geographical data management is considered as critical infrastructure in the project.
The position's working place is NTNU campus in Gjøvik.
Your immediate leader is Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- Conduct high quality research in the field of digital twins.
- Report regular research progress in agreement with the supervisors.
- Engage and communicate with both academic partners and public stakeholders within Mission Mjøsa to realize the overall aim of the project.
- Actively participate in the design, implementation, and evaluation of the overall technological ecosystem of Mission Mjøsa.
- Contribute to the dissemination and outreach of the research outcomes through public media, conferences, and publications
- Submit an application for admission to the PhD-program at NTNU no later than 3 months after the employment.
- Undertake the necessary courses (30 ECTS) as part of the PhD program.
- Contribute to the academic environment at department, faculty and NTNU.
Required selection criteria
- A master’s degree in geomatics, computer science with specialization in geomatics or similar with strong analytical skills.
- Relevant background within geographical data management, geospatial standardization, GIS, surveying, geographical data processing, geographical data analysis or geographical data acquisition.
- The candidate is expected to be fluent in written and oral English language skills. Candidates from universities outside Scandinavia and English-speaking countries are kindly requested to document English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)).
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level.
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program.
Export of Knowledge Control: The PhD candidates who, based on a comprehensive first-hand assessment, might come into conflict with legislation governing exports of knowledge, technology and services will not advance further from the first stage in the recruitment process. For further information, please refer to the Export Control Act.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, PhD candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Preferred selection criteria
- Have an interest in and relevant experience related to mobility, digitalization, enabling digital twin technologies like iot, bigdata, AI.
- Have a good understanding of the connection between technology, processes, and human interaction in society.
- Ability to work independently as well as in cross disciplinary teams.
- Ability to interact and collaborate with actors in academia, public sector and industry.
- Ability to thrive and contribute to the work environment.
- Be self-motivated, focused and goal-oriented.
- Scientifically curious and open to new research challenges, demonstrate persistence in addressing technical problems.
- Good communication and dissemination skills.
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants , and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Project proposal
- Name and contact information of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here . If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Working at NTNU
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality. (tas bort hvis ikke aktuelt)
The city of Gjøvik has a population of 30 000 and is a town known for its rich music and cultural life. The beautiful nature surrounding the city is ideal for an active outdoor life! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation . You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Rune Ødegaard, telephone: +4799225273, email: firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Kristine Rognlid Hagaseth, e-mail: email@example.com
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 21.03.2023
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering
Our profile of expertise can help to solve the world’s most important societal challenge: the development of sustainable solutions in industry and society. This profile includes research on modern industrial processes, use of new and recycled materials, new technological solutions and the application of new forms of organization and business models. The Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 21st March 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service NTNU Campus Gjøvik
Ph D Candidate In Sociology Connected To "Mission Mjøsa", NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, Norway, about 1 month ago
4 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU Research Field Sociology Ethics in social sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2)...
Ph D Candidate In Artificial Intelligence Based Software Defect Detection Using Multimodal Learning , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 1 day ago
23rd July 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Computer Science has a vacancy for a PhD Candidate in Artificial Intelligence Based Software Defect Detection Using Multimodal Le...
Ph D Candidate In Artificial Intelligence Based Software Defect Detection Using Multimodal Learning, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 4 days ago
31 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Computer Science Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Pr...
Ph D Candidate Position On Developing And Optimizing Integrated Transport And Energy System Models , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 5 days ago
31st May 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management has a vacancy for a PhD Candidate position on developing and optimizing integrated ...
Ph D And Postdoc Positions In The Subpro Zero Team , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 1 day ago
Continuously Languages English English English We are now announcing PhD and Postdoc positions in the SUBPRO-Zero Team See advertisement This is NTNU NTNU is a broad-based university with a techni...
Ph D Candidate In Navigation Of Autonomous Systems , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 1 day ago
12th June 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Engineering Cybernetics has a vacancy for a PhD scholarship PhD Candidate in Navigation of Autonomous Systems Apply for this job ...