Warwick Philosophy is delighted to be able to announce a new PhD scholarship to support female scholars entering the field. Thanks to the donation of a generous benefactor, we are able to offer the first Athena Scholarship for exceptional candidates from the UK and EU.
Despite the major contribution of women to the field of philosophy and a relative gender balance at Undergraduate study, women in philosophy remain under represented in postgraduate study and academic careers. The Athena Scholarship is one way that Warwick Philosophy is seeking to redress the balance.
Amount of the award:
- Full tuition fees
- An enhanced research support bursary for research trips, conferences, and other relevant activities each year for three years, (six years part-time)
- Candidates must identify as female
- UK and EU candidates only
- Research may be in any area of philosophy covered in our department
- Full-time or part-time
How to apply
Applications will be welcomed from students who are: (i) currently in their first year of PhD study in Philosophy at Warwick; (ii) in receipt of an offer of a place on our programme; (iii) awaiting the result of their Philosophy PhD application; or (iv) at this stage yet to make an application for a place on our programme. All applicants, irrespective of their current status, must ensure the following are submitted no later than 17 June 2019 (revised deadline):
- A full PhD application, if you have not already done so. This should be completed in compliance with the advice detailed on the Philosophy website and submitted online.
- A scholarship application form . This must be submitted by email to Melissa Venables at firstname.lastname@example.org . It includes a case for support of no more than 1,000 words, covering the following points:
- An outline of your research project and its theoretical background
- How your project relates to previous and current research in the subject
- How your project fits into the research strengths and priorities of our department
- The significance of your project (intellectual, practical, etc)
- The proposed methodology and why it is a good fit for your project
- How your project relates to your previous research and experience
- Two references. These references should comment specifically on a) your research potential, b) the strength of the research proposal and project, and c) the potential contribution of the proposed research project to the literature and debate in the area chosen. You are encouraged to use the same referees as for your Warwick application.*
- Your undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts. If you have not yet completed your Masters, an interim transcript showing your marks to-date will suffice. These should be uploaded to your PhD application using the link supplied by Admissions.
- Your current academic CV. This should also be uploaded to your main application or supplied by email.
All of the above documents, including the main PhD application, must be submitted by 17 June 2019 (revised deadline). This includes references.
*If you use the same referees as on your main PhD application, then they must submit your references using the online system no later than the prescribed deadline. If they encounter difficulty with the system, or if you choose to use different referees for your scholarship application, they may submit your references directly to Melissa Venables at email@example.com from their university email accounts. Please note that we cannot accept references supplied through personal email (eg, gmail) or soft copies forwarded by applicants.
Queries about the application process should be sent to Melissa Venables at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Ph D Studentship: Intelligent Low Carbon Heating And Cooling Energy Technology, University of Warwick UK, United Kingdom, 3 months ago
PhD Studentship: Intelligent low-carbon heating and cooling energy technology School of Engineering, University of Warwick Application deadline: 15 January 2020 Start date: 01 April 2020 Project s...
Ph D Studentship School Of Engineering, University of Warwick, United Kingdom, 2 months ago
School of Engineering, University of Warwick Application deadline: 15 January 2020 Start date: 01 April 2020 Project start date: 01 April 2020 Duration: 3 years Are you ready for joining an intern...
Ph D Studentship School Of Engineering, University of Warwick, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Master of Philosophy (MPhil) To satisfy the requirements of the degree of MPhil a thesis shall constitute an original contribution to knowledge. The thesis shall be clearly and concisely written a...
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships 2020, University of Warwick, United Kingdom, about 3 hours ago
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation - Scholarships 2020 The Foundation is pleased to announce the launch of their 2020 scholarship competition which is now open for applications. The Foundation's do...
Cusu Student Voice Ambassador, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 1 month ago
Application closing date 15/12/2019 Faculty / School or Service Students Union Salary £9.67 per hour includes holiday pay Package Job category/type Professional Services Attachments Job descript...
Student Support Team Leader, Arden University, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
The post-holder will be based in our Birmingham Study Centre and report to the Centre Manager and will be responsible for oversight of the Student Support Coordinators and delivery of an excellent...