In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis.
80%-100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Atmospheric Physics group at the Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science (IAC) at ETH Zurich invites applications for a 2-year PostDoc research position with the option of a 2-year extension.
Our research focuses on the role of aerosol particles and clouds in the climate system. Our goal is to gain a better understanding of the cloud microphysical processes leading to precipitation in clouds involving ice.
This PostDoc project is part of the newly funded ERC project CloudLab that includes three PhDs and 2 PostDocs. Within CloudLab ice nucleating particles from a drone will be injected into supercooled stratus clouds to investigate microphysical changes, including fundamental aspects of ice formation and growth. The project combines a multi-dimensional approach of targeted cloud seeding with a focus on wintertime stratus clouds in Switzerland. The microphysical changes induced by the seeding will be measured in-situ with a tethered balloon system and using ground-based remote sensing. The analysis of the cloud seeding events will be used to validate and improve the cloud microphysics scheme in the Swiss weather forecast model and ultimately precipitation forecasts
- Setup data processing and microphysical retrievals of a remote sensing station (Cloudnet algorithms). You will visit Leipzig, Germany, for several weeks to be supported by the ground-based remote-sensing group at TROPOS .
- Develop real-time analysis of cloud radar RHI-scans to guide the in-situ measurement platforms to the seeded patch.
- Participate in multiple field campaigns in the winter months, where stratus clouds over the Swiss Plateau are partially glaciated by glaciogenic seeding.
- Validate the Cloudnet synergetic remote sensing retrievals of microphysical properties of these stratus clouds by using in-situ measurements on the tethered balloon.
- PhD (or equivalent) in atmospheric/environmental science, physics, engineering, or a related field.
- Sound knowledge of the English language, both orally and written, is expected.
- Experience with processing of remote sensing data (preferably Cloudnet data) is highly recommended.
- Experience in developing remote sensing retrievals, especially microphysical retrievals will be an advantage.
- Motivation to work in the field in rough conditions (at night).
- Good communication and time management skills, as well as a willingness to participate in a collaborative and supportive research environment.
- Applications from members of underrepresented groups in academia are specifically encouraged.
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
Ph D Position In Aer Osol Cloud Interactions: The Role Of Org Anic Compounds In C Loud Dropl Et..., ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
The Institute of Atmospheric and Climate Science (IAC) at the Department of Environmental System Sciences is one of the world's leading venue for research in atmospheric sciences. The institute of...
Ph D Student In Atmospheric Science, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, about 13 hours ago
Luleå University of Technology is experiencing strong growth with world-leading competence in several areas of research. Our research is conducted in close collaboration with industries such as LK...
Call For 2 Ph Ds In The Frame Of The L2 Una (Louvain And Luxembourg University N Anosat) Project Of... (# Of Pos: 2), Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL), Laos, about 9 hours ago
Louvain4Space The PhDs advertised in this call will be organized by the Louvain4Space. Louvain4Space is an exchange and promotion platform for the space projects at the UCLouvain. It was created i...
Developing Large Scale Seed Propagation Treatments For Species Rich Mining Environments, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 2 days ago
TitleDeveloping large-scale seed propagation treatments for species-rich mining environments Description Rehabilitation of mined landscapes in the Jarrah Forest ecosystems of south-west Western Au...
International Ph D Programs In The Life Sciences (# Of Pos: 30), ETH Zurich and University of Zurich, Switzerland, 21 days ago
What is the Life Science Zurich Graduate School? The Life Science Zurich Graduate School consists of several highly competitive PhD programs. We are run jointly by the ETH Zurich and the Universit...
Two Postdoc Positions In High Resolution Polar Climate Modelling (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Two postdoc positions in high resolution polar climate modelling (1.0 FTE) Job description The climate of the polar regions is changing and will continue to change more in the future. These change...