Job Type / Workload
Academic: PhD Position 100%
0 weekly jours
Public Administration / Associations / NGO
Research & Development
January 1, 1
as agreed upon
Switzerland - Midland (SO, AG)
< 1 / >
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Thin Layers and Interfaces Group we are looking for a
- Brainstorm ideas and novel approaches
- Gain deep understanding of electrochemistry and microscopic characterization techniques
- Grow and characterize epitaxial films
- Test electrochemical and electrocatalytic behavior of materials
- In-depth characterization of materials using state-of-the-art transmission electron microscopy and modern synchrotron techniques
- Collaborate with leading experts in microscopy and X-Ray analysis
- Prepare manuscripts and publish in scientific journals
- Present your results at major scientific conferences worldwide
- Be ready to conduct experiments at both the Paul Scherrer Institute and ETH Zurich
We are looking for a highly motivated student who is interested in gaining considerable research experience in advanced electron microscopy, electrochemistry and epitaxial oxide thin films. A successful candidate should have a Master’s degree (or being close to its completion) in Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or related disciplines and a strong experimental background. We are looking for the candidates that are highly motivated, creative and excited to work on challenging but highly rewarding projects. We especially welcome candidates that have a prior experience in:
- Inorganic chemistry and/or crystallochemistry/crystallography
- Physical chemistry
- Electron or scanning probe microscopy
- Condensed matter physics
- Having a good understanding of data analysis and scientific programming
- Be fluent in both spoken and written English
- Ready to present your results at major conferences worldwide
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Thomas Lippert, phone +41 56 310 40 76, email firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr Andrew Akbashev email@example.com.
Please submit your application for position as a PhD Student (index no. 3702-00) online by 31 January 2020 and make sure the following is included:
- Cover letter with the short description of your research achievements and research interests
- Detailed CV that includes your experimental or theoretical/modelling skills
- Optional: Representative published research work (several papers or a thesis when possible)
- In “Additional documents” please include a single merged PDF document titled as ApplicationDate_LastName_FirstName (example: 20191201_Smith_John) of your cover letter, detailed CV and 1-3 representative published papers.
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Silja Giacomini-Diebold, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland
Group Leader Position In The Field Of Wood Electronics , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
100%, Zurich, temporary The Chair of Wood Materials Science at the Institute for Building Materials at ETH Zurich has an opening for a Group leader position in the field of wood electronics. Job d...
Ph D In Aerosol Science – Infectivity Of Influenza Viruses In Expiratory Aerosols , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
100%, Zurich, temporary We invite applications for a PhD position under the supervision of Dr. Ulrich Krieger and Prof. Thomas Peter at the Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science, ETH Zuric...
Student Assistant Position (Hi Wi) In A Molecular Biology Lab , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
10%-20%, Zurich, temporary The Extracellular Matrix Regeneration Laboratory of Prof. Dr. Collin Ewald, Department of Health Sciences and Technology is looking for a highly motivated ETH Student to...
Ph D Position: Energy Transfer And Conversion In Digitally Fabricated Facades , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
100%, Zurich, temporary The Institute of Technology in Architecture (ITA) is a leading research institute on building technology, focusing on digital fabrication, building systems and sustainabili...
Ph D Position: Development Of A Machine Learning Platform For A Novel Pressure And Acoustic Measurement System For Wind Turbine Blades , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
100%, Zurich, temporary AeroSense seeks to appoint three highly motivated Ph.D. candidates at ETH Zurich in collaboration with the University of Applied Sciences Rapperswil (HSR). These positions ...
Postdoc Position: Age Dependent Collagen Glycation In C. Elegans , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
100%, Zurich, temporary The Extracellular Matrix Rejuvenation Laboratory of Prof. Dr. Collin Y. Ewald, Institute for Translational Medicine, Department of Health Sciences and Technology has an ope...