100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Ecosystems and Landscape Evolution group , the Environmental Robotics Lab , and the Environmental DNA group at ETH Zurich and WSL are pleased to invite applications from prospective PhD students interested in studying and developing robotics methodologies for the automated collection of environmental DNA (eDNA), specifically for biodiversity monitoring.
The historic Kunming-Montreal Agreement of 18 December 2022 marked a significant milestone as over 200 countries came together to commit to the cessation and reversal of biodiversity loss. However, achieving a nature-positive future remains a formidable task, hindered in part by the absence of efficient and accurate tools for capturing comprehensive snapshots of global biodiversity. This is precisely where the integration of robots and environmental DNA (eDNA) technologies can truly make a difference. The assessment of biodiversity through eDNA entails the collection and sequencing of genetic traces shed by local species within their environment. This innovative approach has revolutionized biodiversity monitoring by offering a non-invasive means to detect multiple species, including those that are notoriously elusive, from a single environmental sample, such as water, soil, or air. While eDNA surveys hold immense potential, the collection of samples continues to be a labor-intensive and costly aspect of the workflow. Robots equipped with specialized collectors and advanced perception capabilities have the power to automate the process of eDNA collection, thereby providing standardized and cost-effective biodiversity surveys even in challenging and inaccessible environments. By leveraging these automated systems, we can overcome the limitations of manual sampling, reduce cost, and expedite data acquisition.
The PhD student selected for this position will innovate the design, perception and operation of drones to advance applications of eDNA technologies for biodiversity monitoring. The PhD student will undertake the following research tasks:
- Exploring and developing automatable and scalable collection methods of eDNA using drones in diverse terrestrial ecosystems such as forests and agricultural fields. This will also involve designing solutions for multiple eDNA sample types, including vegetation surface, water bodies, and air
- Developing computer vision techniques for the identification of relevant eDNA sampling locations
- Developing control algorithms to automate the eDNA collection combining on-board sensing and ecological knowledge
- Conducting thorough testing of the developed solutions in real-world conditions to ensure their efficacy and reliability
We are seeking an individual who fulfills or possesses most of the following requirements:
- Possession of an MSc degree in robotics, mechanical engineering, computer science, or a related field
- Strong motivation to work in a highly multidisciplinary environment, collaborating with biologists and environmental scientists
- A professionally relevant background in one or more of the following domains: robotics, mechatronics, machine learning, and other complementary fields
- Proficiency in software engineering, including a solid foundation in C++ and/or Python
- Previous exposure to the Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience in developing and testing mechatronics systems
- Hands-on experience in implementing real-life robotic systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Bonus: Experience in molecular biology
chevron_right Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line withour values
, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit ourEqual Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving online applications including:
- 1-page letter of motivation addressed to Prof. Dr. Loïc Pellissier, Prof. Dr. Stefano Mintchev and Prof. Dr. Kristy Deiner
- CV and certificates
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis
- Name and contact information of two referees
- If you have publications, software that you have developed, or other relevant research work please include it (or a summary for it)
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted via our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Review of applications will be on an ongoing basis beginning Dec 15th 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
Ph D Position In Ocean Microbial Population Genomics, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 13 days ago
13 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Environmental science » Ecology Biological sciences » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Switze...
Ph D Position In Stretchable Optical Skin (O Skin), ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 19 days ago
7 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Engineering » Electrical engineering Engineering » Materials engineering Engineering » Mechanical engineering Physics » Op...
Ph D Position In Integrated Forest Risk Management, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 28 days ago
27 Jan 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Environmental science » Earth science Agricultural sciences » Forest sciences Economics » Other Environmental science » O...
Ph D Position On ‘Central Mechanisms Of Motor Fatigability In Humans’, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 19 days ago
7 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Engineering » Biomedical engineering Biological sciences » Other Neurosciences » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Rese...
Ph D Position In Degradable And Durable Polymers, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 13 days ago
13 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Chemistry » Analytical chemistry Chemistry » Biochemistry Chemistry » Computational chemistry Chemistry » Inorganic chemi...
Ph D Position In Isotope Geo And Cosmochemistry, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 19 days ago
7 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Astronomy » Cosmology Environmental science » Earth science Astronomy » Other Environmental science » Other Physics » Othe...