Protecting sensitive information and personal data is fundamentally important for our society. A PhD position in the area of privacy-enhancing technologies is available in the research group of Professor Isabel Wagner at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in Basel, Switzerland. The successful candidate will work on technologies that improve privacy and transparency for Internet of Things devices, such as wearables, smart home devices, or smart city devices.
Position available to start as soon as possible, ideally October/November 2022.
Depending on the interests and strengths of the successful candidate, the research can focus on:
- Transparency for Internet of Things devices, including experimental measurement and characterization of privacy-relevant data flows
- Privacy protections for IoT devices, including development of new protection technologies and experimental evaluation of their privacy and utility
- Privacy measurement, including development of new metrics to evaluate privacy and utility in the web and IoT context, such as metrics to quantify the functionality loss caused by privacy protections
Your tasks include:
- Conduct research in the area of privacy-enhancing technologies
- Write research papers, articles, and present results at leading international conferences
- Interact with national and international teams of computer scientists
We are looking for a highly motivated and talented PhD student to join our research group. Candidates must have a master degree in computer science, computer engineering, cyber security, or a related discipline at the time of the PhD start. Strong programming skills are required (preferably Python), experience with Linux is a plus. Candidates should have experience in one or several of the following fields: computer networks, privacy-enhancing technologies, machine learning, or data science.
- You will join a new research group at the University of Basel with access to state-of-the-art facilities
- The possibility to travel to international conferences to meet with distinguished scientists
- Competitive salary based on University of Basel rules
- Contract initially for one year, after positive evaluation extension by further three years
- Working language is English, German is not necessary
Application / Contact
Please send the following documents in a single pdf file to Prof. Isabel Wagner (firstname.lastname@example.org ):
- Cover letter describing your education, scientific work, and strengths. Please also describe explicitly how you meet the requirements (or could do so at the beginning of the position) and what interests you about the position
- CV including list of publications (if available)
- Scanned transcripts of bachelor's and master's degree
- Contact details of two academic referees
- Your latest thesis (and/or one of your publications if applicable)
You are encouraged to send your application before September 26, 2022. However, the deadline is open and applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Please send informal inquiries to Prof. Isabel Wagner (email@example.com ).
Start Up Scholarships Of The Graduate School Of Social Sciences – G3 S , University of Basel, Switzerland, 9 days ago
Start-Up Scholarships of the Graduate School of Social Sciences – G3S The Graduate School of Social Sciences (G3S) at the University of Basel provides the institutional framework for all graduate ...
Starter Scholarships Of The Basel Graduate School Of History , University of Basel, Switzerland, 5 days ago
We offer you The Basel Graduate School of History offers a structured graduate studies programme in history within an intellectually inspiring environment. Doctoral students at the BGSH benefit fr...
Postdoctoral And Ph D Student Positions In Skeletal Muscle Plasticity (100%, Funded) , University of Basel, Switzerland, 11 days ago
Postdoctoral and PhD student positions in skeletal muscle plasticity (100%, funded) (group of Prof. Christoph Handschin, Biozentrum/University of Basel) The Biozentrum of the University of Basel ...
Ph D Position For Synthetic Biology Inspired Therapies , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
100%, Basel, fixed-term The Biotechnology and Bioengineering group directed by Prof. Martin Fussenegger at the Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering (D-BSSE), in Basel is recruiting a P...
Ph D Fellowship In Fair And Accountable Natural Language Processing , University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 1 hour ago
Department of Computer Science Faculty of SCIENCE University of Copenhagen The Natural Language Processing Section at the Department of Computer Science invites applicants for a PhD fellowship in ...
Ph D Position In Structural Biology Of Viral Proteins , University of Basel, Switzerland, 12 days ago
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading life sciences institutes in the world. It consists of 30 groups and 500 employees that research how molecules and cells create life,...