In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis.
100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Atmospheric Physics group at the Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science (IAC) invites applications for a 3-year to 3.5-year PhD position in Experimental Cloud Physics on ice crystal growth induced by seeding. Our research focuses on the role of aerosol particles and clouds in the climate system. Our goal is to gain a better understanding of the cloud microphysical processes leading to precipitation in clouds involving ice.
The PhD project is part of the newly funded ERC project CloudLab that includes three PhDs and 2 PostDocs. Within CloudLab, ice nucleating particles from a drone will be injected into supercooled stratus clouds to investigate microphysical changes, including fundamental aspects of ice formation and growth. The project combines a multi-dimensional approach of targeted cloud seeding with a focus on wintertime stratus clouds in Switzerland. The microphysical changes induced by the seeding will be measured in-situ with a tethered balloon system and using ground-based remote sensing instrumentation. The analysis of the cloud seeding events will be used to validate and improve the cloud microphysics scheme in the Swiss weather forecast model and ultimately precipitation forecasts.
- Participate in multiple field campaigns in the winter months, where stratus clouds over the Swiss Plateau are partially glaciated by glaciogenic seeding.
- Measure the seeded patch with the holographic imager HOLIMO on the tethered balloon system HoloBalloon and analyze the sizes, habits, and concentration of the ice crystals.
- Infer ice crystal growth due to diffusion, riming and aggregation from changes in the cloud particle size distribution.
- MSc (or equivalent) in atmospheric/environmental science, physics, engineering, or a related field.
- Sound knowledge of the English language, both orally and written, is expected.
- Field work experience with cloud measurements or holographic measurements is an advantage.
- Motivation to work in the field in rough conditiosn (at night).
- Good communication and time management skills, as well as a willingness to participate in a collaborative and supportive research environment.
- Applications from members of underrepresented groups in academia are specifically encouraged.
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
Two Postdoc Positions In High Resolution Polar Climate Modelling (1.0 Fte) (# Of Pos: 2), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 2 days ago
The climate of the polar regions is changing and will continue to change more in the future. These changes directly affect local communities, but indirectly also the rest of the world by changed w...
Two Postdoc Positions In High Resolution Polar Climate Modelling (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
Two postdoc positions in high resolution polar climate modelling (1.0 FTE) Functie The climate of the polar regions is changing and will continue to change more in the future. These changes direct...
Two Ph D Student Positions In Remote Sensing, Measurements And Modelling Of The Earth, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 6 hours ago
The positions give an opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research using remote sensing measurements and modelling within Earth science. A selection of different Earth Science problems can be chos...
Postdoc Position On Optimizing Earth Observation Data For Ice Sheet Modelling, DTU Space, Denmark, about 8 hours ago
If you want to develop your career as a scientist and you are looking for a challenging and exciting opportunity to fulfill your dreams and ambitions within the assessment of sea level rise and cl...
Doctoral Research Fellowship In History (Ref 206310), University of Oslo, Norway, 6 days ago
The position is associated to the project ClimateCultures: Socionatural entanglements in Little Ice Age in Norway (1500-1800) , financed by the Norwegian Research Council (grant number 315441). It...
Two Postdoc Positions In High Resolution Polar Climate Modelling (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
The Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research Utrecht (IMAU) offers a unique research and teaching environment, in which the fundamentals of the climate system are studied. Research is organi...