The Atmospheric Physics group at ETH Zurich (IAC-ETH) invites applications for a 3 – 3.5-year PhD position funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) project “The role of particle size, organic matter, and freezing mode for ice nucleation on mineral and soil dusts”. The project has a total of 3 PhD positions that will closely collaborate.
Ice-nucleating particles (INPs) represent a minute fraction of atmospheric aerosol, but they are key actors in cloud processes including precipitation formation, as they initiate the ice phase in clouds. Although mineral dusts are probably the most important and best-established type of atmospheric INPs, there are still major unknowns that preclude a reliable prediction of ice crystals forming on them. Different factors have been identified that influence their freezing temperatures. Apart from the mineral type, these are particle size, interactions with solutes and water, adsorption of organic molecules, and freezing mode. Yet, some of these factors do not seem to matter in general, but only for some mineral types. Therefore, attempts to generalize them to all types of mineral INPs produce conflicting results.
Our group has longstanding experience in the investigation of atmospheric INPs and a history of developing cloud chambers and cold-stage experiments, among them the microfluidic device MINCZ, the drop freezing assay DRINCZ and the continuous flow diffusion chamber HINC. Moreover, a broad range of analytical techniques for aerosol characterization are available in our group and at ETH Zurich.
- Measurement of the IN activity of size size-selected and feldspar particles in HINC in the condensation freezing mode
- Using two HINCs in series via a droplet/ice evaporation/sublimation set up to investigate the effect of pre-activation on ice nucleation during two subsequent cloud-forming cycles
- Collaboration with the two PhD projects listed below to ensure similar sizes and particle types are being measured, to compare across different freezing modes and particle preparation techniques.
- Data analysis, interpretation and writing manuscripts for peer reviewed publication
- Teaching assistantships and lectures in both core subjects and electives
- PhD candidacy evaluations and assessment
- MSc (or equivalent) in chemistry, physics, engineering, atmospheric/environmental sciences, or a related field
- Knowledge of oral and written English is required
- Knowledge of aerosol measurement techniques and data analysis in Igor, MATLAB, Python or similar software is highly desired, and some knowledge of LabVIEW would be an asset, but not necessary.
We are looking for a highly motivated, committed, and creative person.
- Training in teaching via teaching assistantships
- Support for career development during later stage of PhD via regular assessments and promotion of networking through conferences and project meetings
- Support programmes e.g. mentoring of bachelor and master students
- Culturally and gender diverse team at all levels (students and senior staff) with flexible working hours and home office (where possible) to accommodate diverse team needs
- Excellent funding, infrastructure and working environment with state of the art laboratory facilities and equipment
Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line withour values
, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit ourEqual Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application which includes:
- a CV
- academic transcripts
- work certificates (if any)
- a 1-page motivation letter stating previous research experience and interests.
- the contact information of at least two referees.
Note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled (no deadlines). The start of the project is scheduled for September 2023.
For more information on our group, contact Dr. Zamin A Kanji, firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications) and visit our website .
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
Ph D Position: Nanotechnology For Chemical Sensors In Medical Diagnostics , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 23 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Human-centered Sensing Laboratory (HSL) at ETH Zürich is looking for a doctoral student to perform fundamental and applied research on nanotechnology for chemical sens...
Ph D Position In Numerical Modelling Of Debris Flows , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 22 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Engineering Geology Group (Prof. Dr. Jordan Aaron, Geological Institute) is looking for a creative and motivated PhD candidate with a strong interest in fluid mechanic...
Ph D Position: Nanotechnology For Chemical Sensors In Medical Diagnostics, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 4 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Engineering » Biomedical engineering Engineering » Chemical engineering Engineering » Electrical engineering Engineering ...
Ph D Position: Robot Assisted E Dna Collection Methods For Biodiversity Monitoring , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 23 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Ecosystems and Landscape Evolution group , the Environmental Robotics Lab , and the Environmental DNA group at ETH Zurich and WSL are pleased to invite applications f...
Ph D Position In Mechanical Rock Preconditioning , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 22 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Engineering Geology Group (Prof. Jordan Aaron) is looking for a creative and motivated PhD candidate with a strong interest in rock mechanics and laboratory experiment...
Ph D Position In The Field Of Scanning Probe Investigation Of Carbon Based Quantum Spin Systems (A), Empa, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living....