University Research Priority Program 'Dynamics of Healthy Aging'
In cooperation with the University of Lausanne
Doctoral Student SNSF
The University Research Priority Program (URPP) 'Dynamics of Healthy Aging' hosts several research groups focusing on diverse psychological, behavioral and medical foundations underlying the maintenance of health and quality of life in older adulthood.
The PhD student position will be embedded within a new interdisciplinary centenarian study, "SWISS100", which will investigate vulnerability and resilience in centenarians, bringing together medical, psychiatric, biological, psychological, and sociological perspectives on very old age.
Representing a collaboration between the University of Lausanne, University of Geneva, the university hospitals CHUV and HUG, University of Zurich and the University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI), SWISS100 will be the first nation-wide centenarian study in Switzerland. The main task of the SWISS100-UZH team will be to plan, coordinate, and carry out data collection for the German-speaking subsample of the total sample, as well as contribute sensor-based activity data (e.g., EAR, activity trackers) of health and well-being to the overall protocol and analysis. The person selected for this position will be affiliated with both the University of Lausanne and the University of Zurich. The main working location will be at the University of Zurich.
- complete a Ph.D. thesis on the topic of gerontology and advance your scientific development in this area of research.
- support the organization of and data collection in the German-speaking part and the sensor-based activity assessments within the interdisciplinary project
- support the development of the study procedures and materials in the area of sensor-based activity assessments related to health and well-being
- contribute to the scientific output of the study in terms of written publications and presentations, with a particular focus on advanced analysis of within-person associations between the various longitudinal (incl. sensor-based) assessments of activities and psychological resources and risk factors.
- co-supervision/mentoring of Bachelor and Master students and research interns
- an excellent final degree (master degree or equivalent) in a relevant field, such as psychology, gerontology, and/or statistics (completed before appointment),
- knowledge of longitudinal and multilevel data analysis,
- good knowledge in lifespan psychological and cognitive aging theories and methods, including ambulatory assessment methods,
- basic programming skills, as well as a willingness to develop these,
- very good standard of written and spoken English. Fluency in, or a willingness to learn, one or more of Switzerland's national languages would be an asset, as well as prior experience and/or interest in interdisciplinary research,
- autonomous and self-reliant working style,
- high motivation to work collaboratively within a team.
What we offer
We offer excellent working conditions, a stimulating environment and Zurich's high quality of life. The PhD candidate will be supervised by Prof. Mike Martin and Prof. Daniela Jopp (Project Principal Investigator, University of Lausanne) and will be a member of the URPP Dynamics of Healthy Aging (www.dynage.uzh.ch ). Also, the candidate will be part of the doctoral school of the NCCR LIVES (www.lives-nccr.ch ). The NCCR LIVES aims to better understand the phenomenon of vulnerability as well as the means to overcome it by adopting longitudinal and comparative approaches. The scope of the research center is to stimulate interdisciplinary and international scientific publications and exchanges, and particularly to support young scholars.
Place of work
The main working location will be at the University of Zurich.
Start of employment
The position will start on February 1, 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter, and is for up to four years (three years with an option for an extension of up to one year).
To apply, please send a curriculum vitae, a motivation statement, transcripts, and contact details for two referees (including e-mail addresses) in a single PDF document with the applicant's name as file name to Prof. Mike Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prof. Daniela Jopp (email@example.com). Only applications through this website will be taken into account. Applications are accepted until December 31, 2019 or until the position is filled. For further questions, please also contact Dr. Birthe Macdonald (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Prof. Mike Martin (email@example.com ) and Prof. Daniela Jopp (firstname.lastname@example.org )
- URPP Dynamics of Healthy Aging
- University of Zurich
- Working at UZH
- Mission Statement and Policies
UZH on social media
Please apply via our job portal http://www.jobs.uzh.ch.
Ph D Position: Modelling, Identification And Feedback Control In Uncertain Interacting Environments , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 8 hours ago
100%, Zurich, temporary The Automatic Control Laboratory has an extensive research record in both the theory and application of control technology. Our research spans a broad range including theor...
Ph D Position: Modelling, Identification And Feedback Control In Uncertain Interacting Environments, ETH, Switzerland, 17 days ago
favorite_border Job Type / Workload Academic: PhD Position 100% Workload 0 weekly jours Industry Education / Culture Functional Area Engineering Salary 0 / Entry date January 1, 1 Region Switzerla...
Student Assistant , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 8 hours ago
10%-20%, Zurich, temporary The Chair of Systems Design at ETH Zurich is looking for a student research assistant to work on our data project "DemocaSci" as well as a SNF project. Project backgroun...
Post Doctoral Positions In Deep Reinforcement Learning , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 8 hours ago
100%, Zurich, temporary The Chair of Computational Science (CSElab) at ETH Zurich invites applications for a Post-doctoral Fellow in the field of Reinforcement Learning. The Fellow will collaborat...
Ph D Candidate Dynamic Mobile Sensing Platform, ETH, Switzerland, 27 days ago
favorite_border Job Type / Workload Academic: PhD Position 100% Workload 0 weekly jours Industry Education / Culture Functional Area Academic Research / Teaching Salary 0 / Entry date January 1, 1...
Ph D Position In Ecology: “Assessing Biodiversity In The Yunnan River Network Using Environmental Dna”, ETH, Switzerland, 27 days ago
favorite_border Job Type / Workload Academic: PhD Position 100% Workload 0 weekly jours Industry Energy- / Water Economics Functional Area Research & Development Salary 0 / Entry date January 1, 1...