The Institute of Area and Global Studies (IAGS) at EPFL invites applications for in the Anthropology of Cultural Heritage. The successful candidates will develop their own research project in the anthropology of cultural heritage, anthropology of new lifestyle and cultural consumption or in economic geography and urban studies related to the Beijing Winter Olympic Games of 2022. The two PhD theses will be part of the research project “Uses of cultural heritage at the Beijing Winter Olympic Games of 2022” funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) and led by Florence Graezer Bideau with Thierry Theurillat.
- Applicants should hold a master’s degree in anthropology, ethnology, geography, architecture or urban planning relevant to research in the cultural transformation of the Chinese society crossing urban studies, political and economic issues.
- Prior first-hand practical experience with qualitative research methods (particularly ethnographic methods) in China is mandatory. Some familiarity with basic quantitative research methods is desirable. PhD candidates will further develop their analytical and methodological skills by attending the EDAR doctoral school.
- Fluent English; Good notions of Mandarin Chinese with potential of improvement; French is an asset. The dissertation can be written in English or French.
- Applicants should demonstrate high writing skills, a strong commitment to teamwork and be willing to position their individual research within the shared comparative framework of the above-mentioned SNSF project.
- Interest in working in a multidisciplinary and international environment.
- Candidates of all nationalities are invited to apply; applications from women are especially welcome.
What we offer:
- IAGS is a dynamic institute with an interdisciplinary perspective (anthropology, geography, economy, political sciences) and an interest in experimenting with innovative methods in the area studies.
- The workplace is Lausanne (Switzerland), except when undertaking field research. The researchers will be expected to complete a 12-14 months period of fieldwork in Beijing/China (mostly in 2022).
- EPFL provides an excellent and stimulating research and teaching environment as well as a dynamic and lively international campus with a vibrant student life.
- Located on Lake Geneva, Lausanne is a picturesque city with various possibilities for recreational and cultural activities.
Starting date: April 1, 2020.
Duration: 4 years.
Terms of employment: Fixed-term at 100% work rate. EPFL offers internationally competitive salaries and generous research support.
Deadline for application: January 31, 2020.
Contact: Applicants should submit their file online , and select the EDAR doctoral school by ticking the dedicated box. Applicants have to provide a CV, including publications, and a statement of objectives that describes in two or three paragraphs the candidate’s research proposal related to the SNSF research project (see lay summary below). Please note that the names and contact details of 2 referees and a letter of recommendation from one of them are also due on January 31, 2020. For more information about the positions, please contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .
Ph D Research Fellowships In Social Anthropology (Ref 189716), University of Oslo, Norway, 22 days ago
Ph D Scholarship In Distributed Ai For Demand Side Load Prediction And Scheduling, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 29 days ago
Center for Energy Informatics at University of Southern Denmark invites applications for a 3-year PhD scholarship in collaboration with the Sino-Danish Center in Beijing, China. The starting date...
Nz China Scholarship, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 1 day ago
Closing date: Value of Award: Fee Assistance No. of awards: Up to 10 Tenure: For an acadenic year. The Confucius Institute in Auckland facilitates the NZ–China Scholarship selection panel to recom...
Ph D Candidate In Social Anthropology, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
About the position We have a vacancy for a PhD candidate to be affiliated at the Department of Social Anthropology. This is a 3-year PhD position without teaching duties. It is an educational posi...
Call For Applications To The Phd Courses Xxxvi Cycle At The University Of Salerno (# Of Pos: 175), Università degli Studi di Salerno, Italy, 18 days ago
Ph D Position: Simulation Of Adiabatic Systems In Materials Or Biological Modeling., École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland, 28 days ago
A PhD position is available in the group of S. Bonella at the CECAM headquarters (www.cecam.org ) in EPF-Lausanne (www.epfl.ch ). Research will focus on methodological development, coding and appl...