The Institute of Area and Global Studies (IAGS) at EPFL invites applications for in the Anthropology of Cultural Heritage. The successful candidates will develop their own research project in the anthropology of cultural heritage, anthropology of new lifestyle and cultural consumption or in economic geography and urban studies related to the Beijing Winter Olympic Games of 2022. The two PhD theses will be part of the research project “Uses of cultural heritage at the Beijing Winter Olympic Games of 2022” funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) and led by Florence Graezer Bideau with Thierry Theurillat.
- Applicants should hold a master’s degree in anthropology, ethnology, geography, architecture or urban planning relevant to research in the cultural transformation of the Chinese society crossing urban studies, political and economic issues.
- Prior first-hand practical experience with qualitative research methods (particularly ethnographic methods) in China is mandatory. Some familiarity with basic quantitative research methods is desirable. PhD candidates will further develop their analytical and methodological skills by attending the EDAR doctoral school.
- Fluent English; Good notions of Mandarin Chinese with potential of improvement; French is an asset. The dissertation can be written in English or French.
- Applicants should demonstrate high writing skills, a strong commitment to teamwork and be willing to position their individual research within the shared comparative framework of the above-mentioned SNSF project.
- Interest in working in a multidisciplinary and international environment.
- Candidates of all nationalities are invited to apply; applications from women are especially welcome.
What we offer:
- IAGS is a dynamic institute with an interdisciplinary perspective (anthropology, geography, economy, political sciences) and an interest in experimenting with innovative methods in the area studies.
- The workplace is Lausanne (Switzerland), except when undertaking field research. The researchers will be expected to complete a 12-14 months period of fieldwork in Beijing/China (mostly in 2022).
- EPFL provides an excellent and stimulating research and teaching environment as well as a dynamic and lively international campus with a vibrant student life.
- Located on Lake Geneva, Lausanne is a picturesque city with various possibilities for recreational and cultural activities.
Starting date: April 1, 2020.
Duration: 4 years.
Terms of employment: Fixed-term at 100% work rate. EPFL offers internationally competitive salaries and generous research support.
Deadline for application: January 31, 2020.
Contact: Applicants should submit their file online , and select the EDAR doctoral school by ticking the dedicated box. Applicants have to provide a CV, including publications, and a statement of objectives that describes in two or three paragraphs the candidate’s research proposal related to the SNSF research project (see lay summary below). Please note that the names and contact details of 2 referees and a letter of recommendation from one of them are also due on January 31, 2020. For more information about the positions, please contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .
Two Ph D Positions In Erc Project Collaborative Planning In China (1.0 Fte) (# Of Pos: 2), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 28 days ago
The two PhD candidates will work on the ERC Starting Grant project CoChina “Collaborative Planning in China: Authoritarian Institutions, New Media, Power Relations, and Public Spheres”. The CoChin...
Two Ph D Positions In Erc Project Collaborative Planning In China (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Two PhD positions in ERC project - Collaborative Planning in China (1.0 FTE) Functie The two PhD candidates will work on the ERC Starting Grant project CoChina “Collaborative Planning in China: Au...
Postdoc Position In Erc Project: Collaborative Planning In China (0.9 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Postdoc position in ERC Project: Collaborative Planning in China (0.9 FTE) Functie The postdoctoral researcher will work on the ERC Starting Grant project CoChina “Collaborative Planning in China:...
Postdoc Position In Erc Project: Collaborative Planning In China (0.9 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 28 days ago
The postdoctoral researcher will work on the ERC Starting Grant project CoChina “Collaborative Planning in China: Authoritarian Institutions, New Media, Power Relations, and Public Spheres”. The C...
Postdoctoral Position In String Theory/Quantum Field Theory/Mathematical Physics, High energy theory, China, about 11 hours ago
Position ID:Institute of Theoretical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences -High energy theory -POSTDOC [#17831] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Beijing, Beijing, Chin...
Faculty Position In Architectural Design And Housing , Ecole polytechnique federale de Lausanne - EPFL ;, Switzerland, 5 days ago
EPFL’s School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering (ENAC) invites applications for a faculty position in Architectural Design and Housing. The position is open at the levels of Ass...