1 PhD candidate studying social / occupational mobility using social network methods
The Department of Sociology at the University of Zurich looks back on more than 50 years of active research and teaching. It is one of the leading empirically oriented institutes in Switzerland and Europe. The basic understanding is based on theory-driven empirical social research with a strong focus on quantitative methods.
The PhD position is part of a 5-year project funded by the Swiss national science foundation. The project is led by Prof. Per Block and focusses on understanding how individuals move between jobs and occupations over the life-course and between generations. The project uses statistical methods developed for the analysis of social networks to gain new insights into the social component of mobility. The conceptual and methodological approach is briefly outlined in this paper: tinyurl.com/5c7mbmaw. The approach will be applied to diverse areas during the project. One example is tinyurl.com/2jbw2c6f.
The prospective position holder will conduct research to write a PhD thesis with a high degree of flexibility. During the initial months of the position, the type of mobility (inter-generational, occupational change over the life course, or job mobility), the context (country and/or industry), and the aim (understanding individual mobility, understanding contextual variation on mobility, or segregation dynamics etc.) will be developed jointly by the PhD student and the supervisor.
Students interested in working on methodological developments in this area are equally encouraged to apply.
The main responsibilities of the position holder are:
- Learn statistical skills, conceptual approaches, and the relevant literature to become a competent researcher and academic in the fields of network studies, social mobility or labour markets.
- Develop and exchange ideas with colleagues.
- Perform statistical analyses.
- Write and publish research articles.
- Travel to international conferences to engage in knowledge exchange and present results.
- A collaborative, and creative mindset.
- Master's degree (or close to completion) in social science or an adjacent area, such as Sociology, Economics, Network science, Social statistics, or related fields.
- Good quantitative skills and willingness to develop expertise in specialised statistical methodology.
- Experience in using statistical software such as R, Python, or Stata and willingness to work in R.
- Willingness to engage with past theoretical and empirical literature in the relevant field in depth.
- Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken.
- Speaking German is not required for the position.
What we offer
- A stimulating, dynamic and supportive research environment.
- Very competitive salary and excellent working conditions.
- A large degree of leeway for creativity, planning, and development of ideas and projects.
- A motivated and friendly team atmosphere designed to create great research and facilitate personal development.
- The possibility to work with a certain degree of flexibility (in terms of time and place).
- High quality of life in Zurich.
- The position is initially limited to three years, with the possibility of extension upon successful funding acquisition.
Place of work
University of Zurich, Department of Sociology, Andreasstrasse 15, 8050 Zurich, Switzerland
Start of employment
Employment start date in Fall 2023 or earlier, if desired.
Please submit your application in only one pdf file until 15.03.2023.
Your application should contain all of the following five documents: (i) A motivation letter including your strengths and skills (max 2 pages), (ii) your CV (including name and contact details of two referees), (iii) an outline of your research interests (max 2 pages), (iv) one writing sample (e.g. Masters thesis, Bachelor thesis, past course-work), (v) your most relevant degree certificate and grade transcript (usually the most recent degree).
UZH on social media
Ph D In Social Sciences On The Energy Transition In Switzerland , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 18 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Transdisciplinarity-Lab (TdLab) at the Department of Environmental Systems Science (D-USYS) offers a rich and lively learning environment. Our research and teaching cr...
Ph D Position: Snsf Sinergia Research Projekt «Family Custody Arrangements And Child Well Being In Switzerland» – Sub Project Housing, Architecture, And Mobility , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 18 hours ago
ETH Wohnforum – ETH CASE (Centre for Research on Architecture, Society & the Built Environment) is hiring one doctoral student (100%) by 1. September 2023 or upon agreement for the Swiss National...
Ph D Position At The Intersection Of Social, Cognitive, And Organizational Psychology , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 18 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Chair of Organizational Behavior (Department of Management, Technology, and Economics) is looking for a PhD student to work on research projects at the intersection of...
Six Ph D Positions Available At The Graduate School Of The Social And Behavioural Sciences (Gsbs)Ph D Individual Supervisor, DAAD, Germany, about 4 hours ago
Description The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007, it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, ...
Interdisciplinary Ph D Position In I Psc Modelling Of Human Hyperkinetic Disorders , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 18 hours ago
100%, Basel, fixed-term The Bio Engineering laboratory (BEL) is inviting applications for a PhD position at the intersection of human cellular modelling, large-scale electrophysiology and multi-mo...
Ph D In Field Observations Of Ice Nucleation In The North Western Himalaya Region , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 18 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Atmospheric Physics group at ETH Zurich (IAC-ETH) invites applications for a 3 – 3.5-year PhD position integrated into a Binational Indo-Swiss project “ICE nuCleating ...