Ref. No. SU FV-0799-23
at Department of Political Science . Closing date: 31 March 2023.
The Department of Political Science is a dynamic and strong education- and research department at the Faculty of Social Sciences at Stockholm University. The Department aims to be nationally leading and internationally prominent within its field of research and education.
The Department of Political Science announces one vacant position in the doctoral program with an orientation towards Environmental Politics. The Ph.D. position is fully funded for 4 years and positioned at the Department of Political Science. The planned entry date is 28 August 2023.
The aim of the doctoral programme is to give the student specialised knowledge within the field of political science, a thorough training in research methods, and a good understanding of the problems occurring in research and in the practical application of results.
The programme familiarises the student with different structures of society and ideas, and gives a broad orientation of the research development within the subject, with the purpose of making the student a critical and independent researcher with the ability to plan and develop scientific projects. There are two main blocks in the programme: course work (75 credits) and work in connection with the Ph.D. dissertation (165 credits). For further information about the structure of the programme, see the department’s website .
The PhD position will be part of a research project Living with wildfire: imagining, narrating and acting upon a changing climate (LiFi), which is funded by FORMAS (# 2022-01868_3). The project investigates the traumatic dimensions of wildfires in the context of climate adaptation (eco-anxiety, grief, loss) as well as their potential to transform imaginaries, agency and political organization in the communities that survived them in five case studies (Portugal, Brazil, Turkey, Sweden, and Australia).
The PhD thesis project is expected to align with the project’s main aim of mapping fire-affected communities, investigating their changing priorities; how recovery and sustainability are re-imagined; and what shared visions for the future gain ground. The topic of the PhD thesis is primarily expected to contribute to the Swedish and Australian case-studies of the project.
In order to meet the general entry requirements, the applicant must have completed a second-cycle degree, completed courses equivalent to at least 240 higher education credits, of which 60 credits must be in the second cycle, or have otherwise acquired equivalent knowledge in Sweden or elsewhere.
In order to meet the specific entry requirements, the general syllabus for doctoral studies in Political Science at Stockholm University, the applicant must have:
- Completed higher education equivalent to 150 Swedish university credits (or ECTS), including studies at the advanced level (master’s level) of at least 60 Swedish university credits in the political science, international relations, or environmental social science, or the equivalent education
- A completed written academic, independent work with a least the grade ’pass’, equivalent to at least 15 Swedish university credits
- Completed additional 90 Swedish university credits, or the equivalent, of higher education in subjects relevant to the graduate programme
- Proficiency in English corresponding to at least 550 credits on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Knowledge of qualitative data analysis (particularly discourse analysis, Political Discourse Theory, and tools such as MAXQDA), and experience with conducting interviews, data coding, and textual data collection are desirable.
Since the PhD work is expected to include interviews conducted in Swedish, basic Swedish language skills are a requirement at the time of admission, and the applicant should be prepared within a couple of years to gain fluency.
The qualification requirements must be met by the deadline for applications.
The selection is based on the applicant’s ability to successfully pursue the research education. Selection criteria when assessing the application are further specified in the General syllabus for PhD studies in Political Science at Stockholm University and on the department's website .
Admission Regulations for Doctoral Studies at Stockholm University are available at: www.su.se/rules and regulations .
Terms of study funding
During the first 6 to 12 months, the admitted PhD-student will normally be funded by a tax-free scholarship. After that period of time, we provide taxable scholarships.
Only a person who will be or has already been admitted to a third-cycle programme may be appointed to a doctoral studentship.
The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year. The employment may be extended for a maximum of two years at a time. However, the total period of employment may not exceed the equivalent of four years of full-time study.
Doctoral students should primarily devote themselves to their own education, but may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20% of a full-time position.
Please note that admission decisions cannot be appealed.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
For further information or details concerning the application procedure, please contact the administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org , and Dr. Ayṣem Mert (project leader), email@example.com .
Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, firstname.lastname@example.org , Alejandra Pizarro Carrasco (Fackförbundet ST/OFR), telephone: +46 8 16 34 89, email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org (SEKO), and PhD student representative, email@example.com .
Apply for the PhD student position at Stockholm University's recruitment system. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline.
Please include the following information with your application:
- Your contact details and personal data
- Your highest degree
- Your language skills
- Contact details for 2 references
and, in addition, please include the following documents
- Cover letter – describe briefly who you are and why you are motivated to become a PhD candidate in political science
- CV – degrees and other completed courses, work experience and a list of degree projects/theses
- Research proposal (no more than 3 pages) describing:
- which research task you want to pursue within the position
- why and how you wish to address this research task
- what makes you suitable for the project in question
- Degree certificates and grades confirming that you meet the general and specific entry requirements (no more than 6 files)
- Degree projects/theses (no more than 3 files)
- Certificate in English corresponding to at least 550 credits on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This criterion does not apply for students who have completed their education at a Swedish university, where English proficiency is a general eligibility requirement. You can read more about the English requirements at Stockholm University here: English requirements .
The instructions for applicants are available at: How to apply for a position .
You are welcome to apply!
Stockholm University contributes to the development of sustainable democratic society through knowledge, enlightenment and the pursuit of truth.
URL to this page
Ph D Position In Plant Speciation Genetics, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 2 days ago
31 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Agricultural sciences » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Sweden Applicatio...
Doctoral Studentship In Political Science, Linnaeus University, Sweden, 2 days ago
Welcome to Linnaeus University! We meet the societal challenges of today and tomorrow in a spirit of openness, curiosity and creativity. By creating arenas for exchange of knowledge from different...
Ph D Position In Plant Speciation Genetics, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 24 hours ago
Department of Plant Biology The research at the department focuses on plants, but other organisms such as virus, bacteria, fungi, insects and yeast cells are also studied. Our main research areas ...
Ph D In Electroactive Cellulose Composites Towards Future Green Devices, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 21 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KTH Royal Institute of Technology Research Field Technology » Biotechnology Engineering » Materials engineering Technology » Nanotechnology Chemist...
Ph D Position In Environmental Science With Focus On Sediment Carbon Burial And Loss In Northern Lakes , Umeå University, Sweden, 1 day ago
The Department of Ecology and Environmental Science at Umeå University, Sweden, invites applicants for a PhD position in environmental science, with focus on sediment carbon burial and loss in nor...
Ph D Student Position In Tumor Evolution And Drug Resistance, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 15 hours ago
To be a doctoral student means to devote oneself to a research project under supervision of experienced researchers and following an individual study plan. For a doctoral degree, the equivalent of...