KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
DTU is the Technical University of Denmark and is providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. DTU staff advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society, and the students at DTU are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government and public agencies.
Third-cycle subject: Industrial Ecology
The Royal Institute of Technology, KTH, Sweden and the Technical University of Denmark, DTU, has a joint alliance Ph.D-position, which will lead to a double degree, one from each university. The Department for Sustainable Development, Environmental Science and Engineering (KTH SEED) and the National Food Institute (DTU Food) thus invite applications for a 4-year Ph.D-position which requires working at both departments. The candidate will be enrolled as a PhD student at both institutions and will be employed for separate periods at KTH (the first 2,5 years) and at DTU (the remaining 1,5 years). Thus, the candidate is expected to stay and work at both DTU, KTH and to a lower extent Chalmers University of Technology for periods within the 4-year programme. The candidate should live up to requirements of the PhD programme at both DTU and KTH.
The overall aim of this PhD project is to do research regarding production of processed meat replacers from fermented seaweed. This research is done in collaboration with partners from the industry.
Fredrik Gröndahl, Associate professor, KTH and Susan Løvstad Holdt, Associate professor, DTU
What we offer
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- The candidate must have a two-year master's degree (120 ECTS points) or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year master's degree
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
- the passed degree must be in the field of Food Engineering/Technology/Science, chemical engineering or related areas
- In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here .
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
In the assessment, we will also look for:
- knowledge on seaweed as a food
- experience in one or more of the following areas of food technology: food microbiology, food biotechnology, food nutrition, sensory science, and trace metals, microbiology, food safety, analytical and food chemistry, digestibility and bioaccessibility, and life cycle assessment
- good laboratory skills
- skills within statistical analyses of data
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
The employment of 1,5 years at DTU will be based on the collective agreement with Akademikerne - the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
For questions and information regarding terms and regulations for PhD studies at DTU, contact email@example.com
Contact information on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
Contact information on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Ph D Scholarship In Molecular Microbiology, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 6 days ago
The National Food Institute (DTU Food) offers a PhD position within the field of microbiology and ecology of the intestine. You will be part of the Research group for Gut, Microbes and Heath at DT...
Ph D Scholarship In Protease Network Degradomics, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 5 days ago
A 3 year PhD position is available in the section for Protein Science & Biotherapeutics at the Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (DTU Bioengineering). The successful applicant will work ...
Ph D Scholarship In Predictive Toxicology, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
DTU National Food Institute invites applications for a 3-year PhD candidature starting January 1, 2022. The project is part of two larger Horizon Europe projects dealing with improvement of risk a...
Ph D Position In Big Data Analytics To Support Ecosystem Based Risk Management Of Marine Ecosystems, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
A PhD position on data science is available at the National Institute of Aquatic Resources at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU Aqua) from January 2022. The position is part of two EU H202...
Ph D Scholarship In Engineering And Phenotypic Profiling Of Beneficial Aquaculture Microbiomes, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 12 hours ago
We offer a PhD fellowship at the Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (DTU Bioengineering) at the Technical University of Denmark. The PhD project is part of the Horizon2020 EU project Mari...
Ph D Scholarship In Metabolic Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
If you are establishing your career as scientist and you are looking for the best possible foundation for fulfilling your dreams and ambitions, it is right here in front of you. At DTU Biosustain ...