School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab, https://www.scilifelab.se/ ) is a national center for large-scale life science research with an advanced technological infrastructure. At SciLifeLab, multidisciplinary research is carried out based on DNA sequencing, gene expression analysis, proteomics, bioinformatics, biostatistics and system biology. The goal is to enable Swedish researchers to analyze genes, transcripts and proteins in different organisms in order to map molecular mechanisms related to health and the environment. Examples of thematic research areas that are currently being processed within SciLifeLab are clinical genomics/proteomics, cancer genome and the genomics of complex diseases as well as ecological and environmental genomics.
We are looking for a PhD-student for a project aimed to map spatiotemporal variations of the human proteome at a single cell level in human, and to understand the functional consequences of these variations. The position may include work with cell cultivation, tissue preparation, antibody-based assays, mass spectrometry, confocal microscopy, highly multiplexed microscopy, bioinformatics and computational image analysis.
One of the positions will be focused on the mapping of dynamic spatiotemporal protein fluctuations related to cell states in pancreas from healthy and type-1 diabetic donors, and the development of single cell technologies through integration of imaging and mass spectrometry driven by AI based cell segmentation.
This work will be performed under the supervision of Prof. Emma Lundberg in close collaboration with the Human Protein Atlas project (www.proteinatlas.org ) and the Cell Profiling team consisting of 15 research engineers, PhD-students, postdocs and researchers. The placement will be at Science for Life Laboratory (https://www.scilifelab.se ), a national center for molecular biosciences with focus on health and environmental research.
Third-cycle subject: Biotechnology
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Emma Lundberg Käller
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
- Work in international research consortia, such as an EU project for mapping healthy pancreas and an NIH project for mapping type-1 diabetic pancreas.
- Work in close collaboration with one of the largest biological databases in the world, the Human Protein Atlas.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- Laboratory experience with the techniques listed above are meriting, as are programming skills and image analysis.
- Good communication skills in English (oral and written)
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH’s website .
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section’s website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Type of employment
Temporary position longer than 6 months
First day of employment
According to agreement
Monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement
Number of positions
Emma Käller Lundberg, firstname.lastname@example.org>
Last application date
21.Jun.2021 11:59 PM CET
Phd Candidate Research Into T Cell Engineering, Erasmus MC (University Medical Center Rotterdam), Netherlands, 9 days ago
Adoptive therapy with T cell receptor (TCR)-engineered T cells has demonstrated objective responses in multiple types of tumors, including hard-to-treat solid tumors. To further advance adoptive T...
Master Of Science Fellowship Announcement Natural Bioactives And Nutraceuticals Functionality..., iBET - Instituto de Biologia Experimental e Tecnológica, Portugal, 15 days ago
Instituto de Biologia Experimental e Tecnológica (iBET), Oeiras, Portugal, invites applications for a research fellowship in the field of Biotechnology available within the project “SusFishWaste- ...
Ph D Position In Biochemistry At I2 Bc (Paris Area, France) H/F, CNRS, Suriname, 15 days ago
The PhD student will work at the Institute for Integrative Biology of Cell (I2BC) in the team "Cytoskeleton dynamics and motility" located in building 34 of the CNRS campus of Gif-sur-Yvette under...
Postdoc Position: Single Cell Manipulation With The Fluid Fm Technology , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 13 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term The ability to man...
Post Doctoral Fellowship In Molecular Mechanisms Of Sickle Cell Retinopathy, FAPESP - São Paulo Research Foundation, Brazil, 28 days ago
Post-doctoral fellowship to study the molecular mechanisms involved in sickle cell retinopathy at the Center for Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering of UNICAMP (Campinas, Brazil), under the ...
Postdoctoral Position Available On Tumor Growth And Sers Detection, CIC biomaGUNE, Spain, 17 days ago
A postdoctoral position is available in the framework of the ERC-Advanced grant 4DbioSERS, GA nº 787510. The research, which will be carried out at CIC biomaGUNE, in San Sebastián (Spain), revolve...