KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Quantum photonics at the nanoscale
Quantum technology offers unprecedented possibilities for entirely new schemes for computation, communication and sensing, holding great promise for drastic improvements in performance and functionality, showing disruptive potential with profound impact on society, markets and everyday life. Quantum optics lies at the heart of these new developments as photons are ideal carriers of quantum information due to high-speed and low-noise propagation. Within this project, we aim at the development of growth techniques for the scalable fabrication of site-controlled quantum emitters based on 2D materials and on Cu2O nanocrystals with adjustable size and morphology. Electron beam lithography, physical vapour deposition and thermal oxidation processes will be optimized to achieve high optical quality of novel single photon sources. The optical properties will be studied and room temperature as well as cryogenic temperatures down to the milli-Kelvin range.
Supervision: Professor Val Zwiller is proposed to supervise the doctoral student. Decisions are made on admission
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
- Education and training in quantum technologies and nanofabrication.
- The Quantum Nano Photonics group at KTH offers a strong international research environment in quantum technology and is taking part in a large number of European projects. Our group offers exposure to several fields of quantum technology as well as collaborations with top international research groups.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree),
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
- have a master of science in Physics or Electrical engineering with specialization in optics, photonics, nanoscience or quantum mechanics
- have lab experience with optical measurements at the single photon level
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
We consider following as a merit:
- In addition to the traditional academic merits, a relevant degree project, international experience is a plus.
- Interest and experience in nanofabrication.
- Knowledge and experience with quantum technologies.
- Knowledge and experience in high speed electronics or microwave engineering.
- Knowledge and experience with cryogenic systems.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified .
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Ph D Studentship Deterministic Entangled Photon Sources Built Using Semiconductor Quantum Dot... (# Of Pos: 2), Technical University of Munich, Germany, 2 days ago
PhD-Studentships: Deterministic Entangled Photon Sources built using Semiconductor Quantum Dot Molecules The chair for Semiconductor Nanostructures and Quantum Systems (SNQS) at the Walter Schottk...
Ph D Studentships: Deterministic Entangled Photon Sources Built Using Semiconductor Quantum Dot Molecules , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 4 hours ago
13.01.2022, Wissenschaftliches Personal The chair for Semiconductor Nanostructures and Quantum Systems (SNQS) at the Walter Schottky Institut (WSI - Prof. Dr. J. J. Finley) is looking for a doctor...
Ph D Student: Quantum Optomechanics, AMOLF, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Job description The Photonic Forces group seeks a talented PhD student in the field of nano-optomechanics. We study new ways to control nanomechanical vibrations at the quantum level, by making th...
Ph D Student: Quantum Optomechanics, AMOLF, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
The Photonic Forces group seeks a talented PhD student in the field of nano-optomechanics. We study new ways to control nanomechanical vibrations at the quantum level, by making them strongly inte...
Postdoc Position On Fiber Based High Dimensional Quantum Key Distribution, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 15 days ago
Secure communication and data privacy is of paramount importance in the information age. With quantum computers being on the verge of maturity, a great threat to the secrecy of data and communicat...
Experimental Postdoctoral Position In Atomic Quantum Physics, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
We are looking for a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher with excellent laboratory skills to join our team! The position focuses on performing state-of-the-art atomic physics experiments and ...