KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Biotechnology
The focus of the project is the development of a mathematical dynamic model for the production of biological drugs with mammalian or human cells, using e.g. high cell density perfusion process. The model will integrate information from transcriptomics, where machine learning support will be evaluated. The mathematical dynamic model, including e.g. metabolism, glycosylation, will be developed based on existing data from Chotteau’s group, and on new experiments. The project will be part of “Data-Limited Learning of Complex Dynamical Systems”, funded by Digital Futures (https://www.digitalfutures.kth.se), within a collaboration between Chotteau’s group, Prof. Håkan Hjalmarsson (Division of Decision and Control Systems, KTH) and Assoc. Prof. Saikat Chatterjee (Machine Learning, Dept of Information Science and Engineering, KTH).
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Associate Professor Veronique Chotteau
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
- Veronique Chotteau’s group is the Cell Technology group (CETEG) at Dept. Industrial Biotechnology. Chotteau has a long experience of developing biopharmaceutical drug bioprocesses for human therapy. CETEG's activities focus on the production of biological drugs, proteins and viral vectors, including perfusion process at very high cell density and development of dynamic metabolism models. Chotteau is the Director of the Competence Centre AdBIOPRO for Advanced Bioproduction by Continuous Processing, Coordinator of the European project iConsensus within the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI2), partner of the Competence Centre for Advanced Medical Product CAMP and partner of the Marie-Curie EU project STACCATO.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree),
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
- Master in biotechnology, bioprocess technology, control technology or bioinformatics.
- Knowledge and experience of mathematical modelling, bioinformatics and/or mammalian cell culture bioprocess are advantageous.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- good written and oral communication skills is required to present and publish research results.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
2 Postdoctoral Positions In Human Adipose Tissue Biology, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, 5 days ago
The research group The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology (CMB) is a department with a strong focus on basic science. CMB conducts research and education in cell biology, molecular biology, ...
Doctoral (Ph D) Student Position In Cancer Immunotherapy, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
To be a doctoral student means to devote oneself to a research project under supervision of experienced researchers and following an individual study plan. For a doctoral degree, the equivalent of...
Erc Funded Postdoctoral Position (F/M/D) In Host Microbial Interactions And Organoids (# Of Pos: 2), DZNE, Germany, 18 days ago
One position for a talented and highly motivated post-doctoral researcher is available within the scientific team “Mitochondria and Inflammation in Neurodegeneration” led by Michela Deleidi at the...
Postdoctoral Studies In Stem Cell Biology (Scholarship), Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 13 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to improving human health? Join us in finding a treatment of the brittle bone disease Osteogenesis Imperfecta! Division The research will be performed in the Division for...
Ph D Student Department Of Diagnostic Sciences, Ghent University, Belgium, 22 days ago
Last application date Dec 17, 2021 00:00 Department GE32 - Department of Diagnostic Sciences Contract Limited duration Degree Master Occupancy rate 100% Vacancy type Research staff Job description...
Postdoctoral Studies In Human Nk Cell Biology (Scholarship) , Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 13 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled postdoctoral researcher to join the Michaëlsson group in our efforts to decipher the ro...