The ARTSOUNDSCAPES project deals with sound, rock art and sacred landscapes among past hunter-gatherers and early agricultural societies around the world. The potential of sound to stimulate powerful emotions makes it a common medium for conferring places with extraordinary agency. Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources indicate that these sites are often endowed with a sacred significance and, in many cases, they also receive special treatment, including the production of rock paintings. Despite aural experience being an integral component of the human condition and a key element in ritual, archaeology has largely been unable to study it systematically. Rock art landscapes are no exception and, although some studies have been made, they have largely been reproached for their lack of scientific rigour and subjectivity. ARTSOUNDSCAPES will fully address this weakness by investigating the perception of sound in rock art landscapes from an interdisciplinary approach reflected in its five Research Lines:
- Research Line 1: Characterising the acoustic properties of rock art landscapes. Aim: to undertake a comprehensive analysis of the acoustic properties of a series of rock art landscapes around the world in order to acquire scientifically accurate data for surveying relationships between sonic effects, soundscape perception and the positioning of rock art.
- Research Line 2: The psychoacoustics of rock art landscapes. Aim: to examine the sensations evoked in people by sounds and how they relate to auditory interpretations and physically measurable quantities; to explore auditory perceptions such as echolocation and the augmented audibility and intelligibility of distant sounds.
- Research Line 3: Neuropsychology and emotion in rock art landscapes. Aim: to test whether stimulation of the brain with the sound recorded in RL1 can induce patterns of brain activity related to particular emotions such as those provoked by altered or mystical states
- Research Line 4: Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources. Aim: to critically revise ethnohistorical and ethnographic records related to music and sound among hunter-gatherers and early agriculturalists and/or also, if agreed with the PI, of other type of societies in the world, and to look at the ethnographic variation in sacred beliefs associated with sound in these same societies.
- Research Line 5: Phenomenological analysis of sacred emotion and rock art soundscapes. Aim: to combine the results obtained in the previous lines and to attempt a phenomenological understanding of sacred soundscapes among late hunter-gatherers and early agriculturalists around the world.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Work closely with the PI and/or Senior Staff and the other members of the team;
- Assist with all acoustic technical tasks of the project, including those related to measurements in fieldwork, post-processing of data and laboratory experiments.
- Write as first author at least one academic publication every 6 months.
FUNCTIONS AND/OR TASKS OF THE POSITION
Related to the whole project
- Perform an audit of the code designed to convert MIMO acoustical measurements to their Impulse Responses, including the performance of verification tests and the writing of the technical documentation of its operation flow.
- Programing a new version of the code designed to convert MIMO acoustical measurements to their Impulse Responses, so that it is adapted to the new equipment used in the project.
- Perform the calibration and characterisation of the new measurement chain (including the recently acquired pieces of equipment) to be used in the forthcoming field campaigns.
- Assist with acoustical technical tasks related to the preparation of the forthcoming field campaigns.
- Assist with acoustical technical tasks related to the operation of the Immersive PsychoAcoustics Laboratory (ImmpaLAB).
- Actively participate in non-academic dissemination for wider audiences agreed by the PI.
Gross salary per year
24,000 – 28,000 gross salary [bruto]
Application letter in English
Curriculum vitae in English
1 academic reference letter (*)
(*) if these documents are in other language than Spanish, Catalan, English, Italian or French, an extra document with the translation is also required by the deadline
All these documents should to be sent to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by the deadline. Large documents may be sent by alternative media such as Hightail or similar. Please, ask for acknowledgement of receipt.
Send your application to:
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Prof. Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu, Dr Lidia Alvarez Morales
Application for Job position for an acoustic engineer to work with heritage sites (covering for maternity leave)
Recruitment Of Graduate Students (Ph D And M Sc Degrees) For “Snu Ere Global Scholarship”, Seoul National University, Department of Energy Resources Engineering, Italy, about 2 hours ago
Seoul National University Energy Resources Engineering (SNU ERE) department is seeking motivated graduate students in all fields of broadly defined energy resources and geological engineering. The...
Greater Sage Grouse Field Assistant Positions – Santa Rosa Mountains, Nevada, UC Davis, United States, 18 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyUC DavisLocationSanta Rosa Mountains, NevadaJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$1,800 Reimburseme...
Pt Student Assistant, University of Arkansas, United States, 11 days ago
Current University of Arkansas System employees (excluding those at UAMS) including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the W...
Ph D Position In Physics Based Modeling Of Fault Reactivation And Induced Seismicity , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 2 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Swiss Seismolo...
Fachbereich Biologie, Chemie, Pharmazie Institut Für Biologie Neurophysiologie Ph D Position (M/F/D) (Subject To Approval Of Funds) With 50%Part Time Job Limited To 3 Years Entgeltgruppe 13 Tv L Fu Reference Code: Usv 3 R Bewerbungsende: 14.02.2022, Free University of Berlin, Germany, about 7 hours ago
The research group “Neurophysiology” (Prof. Koch) investigates the neuronal basis of processing acoustic stimuli and vocal communication in various mouse models. During social interactions, mice e...
Ph D Position In Functional Macroecology Of Island Birds (M/F/D) , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 1 hour ago
20.01.2022, Wissenschaftliches Personal In the scope of the Research Unit “DynaCom - Spatial community ecology in highly dynamic landscapes: from island biogeography to metaecosystems” funded by t...