The doctoral fellowship programme INPhINIT ”la Caixa” is devoted to attracting talented Early-Stage Researchers—of any nationality—who wish to pursue doctoral studies in Spanish or Portuguese territory. Sponsored by ”la Caixa” Foundation, it is aimed at supporting the best scientific talent and fostering innovative and high-quality research in Spain and Portugal by recruiting outstanding international students and offering them an attractive and competitive environment for conducting research of excellence.
The Institute of Cosmos Sciences of the University of Barcelona is a research centre accredited with the Spanish Seal of Excellence María de Maeztu in 2020, the perfect place to carry out your PhD project through an INPhINIT Incoming fellowship. The Institute is offering ten different projects:
The maximum total payment amount will be €122,592, as broken down below:
- Three annual payments of €34,800 each to the institution to cover the Fellow’s contract, who will receive a gross annual income of €27.724,67. This amount might vary if there are modifications in the legal framework.
- €3,564 per year, as an additional amount for conferences, courses, research stays, consumables, equipment, charges for the use of intellectual property, etc.
- The ”la Caixa” Foundation will award a prize of €7,500, which will be paid to the fellows who deposit their thesis within 6 months after the third year of their fellowship has ended.
In addition to financial support, the fellowship includes a training programme on transversal skills, which has been specially designed by leading international institutions in the sector.
This programme includes aspects such as technology transfer, entrepreneurship, commercialisation of innovation, intellectual property, leadership, creativity, communication skills, teamwork, personal development, planning, assertiveness and networking.
For more information on the employment conditions, please refer to this document .
Working at the Institute of Cosmos Sciences
The Institute of Cosmos Sciences is a research institute of the University of Barcelona. It is an interdisciplinary centre dedicated to fundamental research in the fields of cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. In addition, the institute has a strong technology program through its participation in international collaborations in observational astronomy and experimental particle physics.
Moreover, the ICCUB participates in many key international scientific consortia and projects, such as the Large Hadron Collider, the Gaia astrometric space mission, the MAGIC / CTA high-energy astrophysics telescopes, and the Virgo gravitational wave detector, among others. Additional information about the Institute and the University of Barcelona can be found here .
You will be encouraged to contribute and interact with other researchers in the vibrant and international research environment as well as to participate in our outreach initiatives, more information at serviAstro and serviParticules .
As part of the University of Barcelona, the ICCUB is a recipient of the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) Award, which recognises, among other achievements, respect for equal opportunities and the capacity to attract talent in a positive working environment that promotes the pursuit of successful research careers. The ICCUB respects the principles of open, transparent, merit-based selection. We strongly encourage women and underrepresented minorities in physical sciences to apply. For additional information please see the Diversity, equity and inclusion Commission .
The ICCUB is located in Barcelona, considered the 8th World's Best Cities 2021: one with near-perfect weather year-round, miles and miles of beaches, iconic parks, striking architecture and colourful neighbourhoods that march to their own beat—artistic, sophisticated, bohemian. Moreover, it is a pole of attraction for the technology sector, a top choice to establish a company in this sector, and it hosts some of the world's major technological events, such as the Mobile World Congress and the Smart City Expo. In addition, Barcelona and its metropolitan area is a leading destination on the map of global technological ecosystems and has infrastructures such as science parks, universities and the 22@ district.
In order to be accepted, candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Experience: At the call deadline, applicants must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree or be in a position to apply for one.
- Studies pursued: Applicants must hold a higher education degree that makes them eligible to enrol in a doctoral programme before starting at their host institutions.
The host university will verify, upon starting the admission process to the doctoral programme, that the studies taken up by the selected candidates make them eligible to enrol in an official doctoral programme in accordance with the regulations in force in Spain or Portugal. Should they be found not eligible after verification, the fellowship will be withdrawn.
Under no circumstances may candidates have previously enrolled in the same doctoral studies for which they are applying for the fellowship.
- Geographic mobility: Candidates must not have resided or have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline. Short stays, such as holidays, done in a country other than their country of usual residence (where they carried out their main activity), will be considered as time spent in their country of usual residence.
- Level of English: Candidates must have a demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher).
For more information on the candidates requirements, please refer to this document .
All applications must be submitted online through the following link in English. For more information on the application procedure, please refer to this document .
Inquiries about the application submission can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please submit your applications by January 27th 2022.
The process is comprised of three parts:
- Eligibility screening: all applications received are reviewed to check the accomplishment of the eligibility criteria published in the rules for participation
- Pre-selection: each of the eligible application is assessed remotely for at least two evaluators with relevant experience in the same discipline.
- Personal interviews: preselected candidates are invited to a personal interview before a multidisciplinary committee.
The rating criteria that govern the selection process can be found in the Application assessment section of the ”la Caixa” Fellowship Programme website.
For more information on the selection process, please refer to this document .
Funding:This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No713673.
The co-funded part of the programme runs from 01/10/2016 to 30/09/2021 and finances the researchers recruited under Call 2017 and 2018.
Fundacio Catalunya La Pedrera Ignacio Cirac Program Chair @ Icfo Summer Fellowships 2022, Institute of Photonic Sciences, Luxembourg, about 16 hours ago
The Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), based in the seaside town of Castelldefels on the outskirts of Barcelona, Spain, is devoted to research and education at the highest international level....
Ph.D. Position (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 1 hour ago
The Department of Biological Oceanography at the Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research Warnemünde (IOW) invites applications for a Ph.D. position (m/f/d) with a research focus on microbial oce...
Phd Positions In Entrepreneurship, Strategy And Innovation, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 6 hours ago
Project topics MSI particularly invites PhD applications pertaining to the following topics (more info on our website: https://feb.kuleuven.be/research/MSI/topics): Entrepreneurship (Prof. Michael...
Junior Group Leader Positions, Centre for Genomic Regulation, Spain, about 8 hours ago
The Institute The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is a core-funded interdisciplinary institute with strengths encompassing genomics, systems, computational, cell and molecular biology. CRG has...
Ph D Student, ICN2, Spain, about 1 hour ago
PhD STUDENT - (REF.: PhD_LM_) The Josep Carreras Leukemia Research Institute (IJC) is a nonprofit research institute based in Barcelona and dedicated to advancing our understanding about leukemia ...
8 Junior Fellowships At The Collegium Helveticum , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 12 minutes ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Collegium Helv...