The ARTSOUNDSCAPES project deals with sound, rock art and sacred landscapes among past hunter-gatherers and early agricultural societies around the world. The potential of sound to stimulate powerful emotions makes it a common medium for conferring places with extraordinary agency. Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources indicate that these sites are often endowed with a sacred significance and, in many cases, they also receive special treatment, including the production of rock paintings. Despite aural experience being an integral component of the human condition and a key element in ritual, archaeology has largely been unable to study it systematically. Rock art landscapes are no exception and, although some studies have been made, they have largely been reproached for their lack of scientific rigour and subjectivity. ARTSOUNDSCAPES will fully address this weakness by investigating the perception of sound in rock art landscapes from an interdisciplinary approach reflected in its five Research Lines:
- Research Line 1 (RL1): Characterising the acoustic properties of rock art landscapes. Aim: to undertake a comprehensive analysis of the acoustic properties of a series of rock art landscapes around the world in order to acquire scientifically accurate data for surveying relationships between sonic effects, soundscape perception and the positioning of rock art.
- Research Line 2 (RL1): The psychoacoustics of rock art landscapes. Aim: to examine the sensations evoked in people by sounds and how they relate to auditory interpretations and physically measurable quantities; to explore auditory perceptions such as echolocation and the augmented audibility and intelligibility of distant sounds.
- Research Line 3 (RL3): Neuropsychology and emotion in rock art landscapes. Aim: to test whether stimulation of the brain with the sound recorded in RL1 can induce patterns of brain activity related to particular emotions such as those provoked by altered or mystical states
- Research Line 4 (RL4): Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources. Aim: to critically revise ethnohistorical and ethnographic records related to music and sound among hunter-gatherers and early agriculturalists and/or also, if agreed with the PI, of other type of societies in the world, and to look at the ethnographic variation in sacred beliefs associated with sound in these same societies.
- Research Line 5 (RL5): Phenomenological analysis of sacred emotion and rock art soundscapes. Aim: to combine the results obtained in the previous lines and to attempt a phenomenological understanding of sacred soundscapes among late hunter-gatherers and early agriculturalists around the world.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Work closely with the project PI, the Senior Scientist (Prof. Carles Escera), the Project PI (Prof. Margarita Díaz-Andreu), the Senior Post Doctoral Researcher(s) and the other team members;
- Carry out research on Research Line 3 (RL3) and Research Line 2 (RL2) in the areas and subjects agreed with the PI and the Senior Scientist (Prof. Carles Escera) and in collaboration with other team members;
- Collaborate with and technically assist the PI and team members working in RL1 and RL4;
- Unless on fieldwork, attending meetings and conferences allowed by the PI and the Senior Scientist. A key responsibility of the researcher will be to work in the Brainlab-Cognitive Neuroscience Research Group, Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychobiology, University of Barcelona.
FUNCTIONS AND/OR TASKS OF THE POSITION
Related to the whole project
- Collaborate with the PI, the Senior Scientist (Prof. Carles Escera), the senior PD and other team members for all required tasks and RLs in the project.
Related to Research Line 3
- Work towards a PhD related to RL 3 under the supervision of Prof. Carles Escera and the Project PI
- To search for and review interdisciplinary literature regarding the goals of RL3 and of the project as a whole.
- To setup all the technical equipment, devices and systems necessary to carry out experiments in RL3.
- To help designing and implementing the EEG experiments related to RL3.
- To carry out the experimental work (laboratory experiments in controlled conditions in human participants) related to RL3 under Prof. Carles Escera’s supervision.
- To carry out the data analysis and reporting of the data resulting from experiments of RL3 under Prof. Carles Escera’s supervision.
Related to Research Line 2
- To provide the necessary links between results from RL1 and RL3 and those of RL2 to ensure the conceptual continuity of the work being carried out.
- To assist the PI and the Senior Scientist in the interpretation of the data from experiments related to RL2.
- To assist the setting up and the running of experiments in the field psychoacoustics and virtual reality in collaboration with team members working in RL2.
Related to Research Line 1
- Actively join fieldwork seasons if needed by the project and required by the PI and/or the Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher(s);
- Assist the PI (Prof. Margarita Díaz-Andreu), the Senior Scientists (Prof. Angelo Farina and Prof. Carles Escera) and the other members of the project to ensure there is a continuous, fluid and effective communication between RL3 with RL2 and RL1 and RL4 aiming to, among other goals, produce joined-up academic work.
- PhD thesis
- Actively work in academic dissemination by leading the writing of at least one article per year to be published in international peer-reviewed publications.
- Actively participate in conferences agreed by the PI and the Senior Scientist representing the ARTSOUNDSCAPES project with a paper at least once a year
- Actively participate in non-academic dissemination for wider audiences agreed by the PI and the Senior Scientist.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Gross salary per year
Negotiable between 16000 and 18500 €
Application letter, Curriculum vitae, 2 international publications if available, 2 academic reference letters to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline
Send your application to:
email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Carles Escera; Prof. Díaz-Andreu
Application ESR ARTSOUNDSCAPES
Ph D Position In Bee Plant Interactions (F/M/D) , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 18 hours ago
21.12.2020, Wissenschaftliches Personal A PhD position is available as part of a collaborative project between the Plant-Insect Interactions Group (Life Science Systems) at the Technical Universit...
Ph D Student Position In Fluid Structure Interaction (Fsi) Applied To Wind Assisted Ship Propulsion, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 15 hours ago
The Department of Mechanics and Maritime Sciences is now looking for a PhD student who wants to contribute to the goal of cutting the emission of greenhouse gases from international sea transport...
15 Ph D Students For The Etude Programme To Study Functional Disorders Across Eur, University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
Department University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG) Apply no later than 28 February 2021 Job description 15 PhD positions: ETUDE is a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovation Training Network (ITN), fu...
Ph D Student In Human Breath Analysis By Mid Ir Laser Spectroscopy, Empa, Switzerland, about 16 hours ago
Empa - the place where innovation starts Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and th...
Ph D Position In Computational Geomechanics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
About the position We have a vacancy for a 3-year PhD fellowship at the Department of Geoscience and Petroleum (IGP). The position is within computational geomechanics. The research will include d...
Ph D Position In Mining Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
About the position There is a vacancy for a PhD candidate at the Department of Geosciences and Petroleum (IGP) in Mining Engineering, specifically in blasting optimization. The purpose of the proj...