NHH Norwegian School of Economics is one of the leading business schools in Europe. We are internationally recognised for our research environment, and we educate the leaders of the future. NHH is the first choice for students who want to study economics and business administration in Norway. We have about 3,600 students and 450 employees.
At NHH we work together for sustainable value creation. High quality, solid ethic standards and efforts for common goals characterise all our activities. Our core values committed, open and ambitious are central for employees and students.
NHH – for you who aspire to more!
The PhD specialisation
NHH is pleased to announce vacancies at the Department of Business and Management Science. Candidates admitted to the PhD programme will receive the title of PhD Research Scholar.
The Department of Business and Management Science is responsible for a specialisation in the NHH PhD programme. The specialisation has two tracks:
- Core courses in econometrics, microeconomics, scientific methods
- Elective courses in economics, finance, or optimisation
- Dissertation on a topic in business economics, industrial organisation, public finance, asset management, risk analysis, shipping economics, or the economics of natural resources
- Core courses in optimisation, microeconomics, scientific methods
- Elective courses in operations research, optimisation, statistics, data science
- Dissertation on a topic in logistics, operations management, utilisation of natural resources, shipping, predictive modelling, or climate risk
Elements from the two tracks can be combined.
For more information about the Department of Business and Management Science and its research profile, visit the department’s website .
Start date: August 2023
The PhD programme
The PhD programme at NHH is a four-year fully-funded programme, which combines an intensive course component with research and relevant work experience, preparing the school’s graduates for scholarly positions at recognised international institutions and positions in knowledge-intensive institutions and firms outside of academia. Former PhD graduates have been hired by renowned institutions such as HEC Paris, NOVA SBE, Tilburg University, Hanken School of Economics, Norwegian universities and business schools, as well as in the government, banking, finance and consulting industries.
The PhD research scholars will be included in a highly stimulating and rewarding research environment, working closely with faculty members and other PhD research scholars at the school. The PhD research scholars receive feedback on their work through regular interaction with their supervisor and other faculty members. PhD research scholars are expected to participate actively in faculty and research seminars, as well as in workshops. The place of work will be at NHH in Bergen where the PhD research scholars will receive their own office space in their department.
The scholarship includes 25% teaching and/or research assistance responsibilities, and the PhD research scholars must take one basic module of the programme for university pedagogy in the course of the fixed-term period. The PhD programme gives preference to applicants who addresses research problems that fit the research interests of the department and available resources for supervision. As the school aspires gender balance and diversity, female applicants will be given preference if applicants are otherwise equally qualified.
The annual salary for the PhD research scholar position is set according to the Norwegian State Salary, which currently is NOK 500 800 (equivalent to approximately EUR 48 070 or USD 50 440). The salary ensures a fair standard of living in Norway and is subject to Norwegian taxes and benefits, including public health care benefits and pension savings.
The city of Bergen offers a mild coastal climate and hosts rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities, as well as a family-friendly environment. To explore the city, go to visitnorway.com .
Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements for the PhD programme.
You are required to upload the following electronically with your application:
- Certificate of a Master of science degree or equivalent (please include transcripts of grades)
- Certificate of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (please include transcripts of grades)
- Other relevant certificates or transcripts (e.g. courses completed at the PhD level)
- If the issuing authority of grades and degrees does not use the ECTS grading scale, please include an official description of the applied grading scale system
- Statement of purpose describing your motivation for applying this position (250-300 words)
- Tentative research project outline (2000-4000 words) describing the aims, objectives, research questions, and elaborating on your motivation for pursuing the proposed area of research. Please note that your research project is tentative and often needs adjustments after acceptance into the programme
- Curriculum vitae
- A list of all publications and/or other documented research activities
- Contact details of two referees
Please upload the documents in separate files, not combined in one single file.
The Department of Business and Management Science requires you to have an adequate level of academic and English language proficiency by adequate GMAT or GRE scores, and TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Academic test scores, or documenting equivalent skills in other ways.
- If you use GMAT/GRE or TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Academic test scores to document your skills, you must upload a scanned copy of your unofficial test results in Jobbnorge (online portal) when you apply. If you are one of the selected candidates, you must ask the test centres to send your test scores electronically to NHH without delay due to the time lag at the test centers. It is also possible to give NHH access to your results when you apply.
- You are waived from the GMAT/GRE tests if you hold a qualifying master’s degree from a Nordic school.
- You are waived from TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Academic if you are a native English speaker, have a qualifying Master’s degree from a Nordic school or you have a qualifying Master’s degree where the language of tuition was English.
- Please consult the NHH PHD website for detailed information on how to submit test scores.
Letter of recommendation:
Letters of recommendation may strengthen your application, but it is not mandatory. The referees should send their letter of recommendation (in PDF file format) to firstname.lastname@example.org by latest 15 September 2022.
For more information on the PhD programme and the submission procedure, please consult the NHH PHD website . Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that applicants for the PhD research scholar position do not need to apply separately for admission to the PhD programme.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
In accordance with §25 (2) of the Freedom of Information Act, note that the list of applicants may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his/her name entered on the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if his/her request is not respected.
For questions and inquiries about the NHH PhD programme, please contact email@example.com .
Applications must be submitted online. To open the application, please click ‘Apply for this job’. For English version, go to the menu at the top right side.
Application deadline: 15 September 2022
Ph D Position In Business Processes, Logistics & Information Systems At Erasmus Research Institute Of Management (Erim), Erasmus University Rotterdam (Eur) Opens External, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
PhD Position in Business Processes, Logistics & Information Systems at Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) PhD Position in Business Processes, Logis...
Ph D Candidate In Interaction Design And Learning Technologies, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, about 9 hours ago
About the position For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree. We have a vacancy for a PhD candidate in Interaction Design and ...
Ph D Candidate In Business Value Of Artificial Intelligence, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
About the position We offer a 4 year PhD position with teaching duties in Information Systems at the Information Systems and Software Engineering (ISSE) group of the Department of Computer Science...
Ph D Position In Macroeconomics , University of Basel, Switzerland, 10 days ago
PhD position in Macroeconomics The research group of Macroeconomics (Prof. Lein) of the Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Basel invites applications for a PhD position. Starti...
Ph D Candidate In Color Science, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
About the position A PhD position is available at the Department of Computer Science in Gjøvik. It is required to conduct a systematic investigation on the effect of flicker on color perception. T...
Ph D Candidate Within Autonomy And Simulation For Future Mobility Solutions, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
About the position The Department of Computer Science (IDI) is looking for a PhD candidate in the area of autonomy and simulation for a sustainable and carbon-neutral mobility future. The PhD proj...