About the job
We welcome applications for one PhD position at the Department of Physics of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). We especially encourage women to apply for this position.
The selected candidate will join a growing and multifaceted research team funded by the H2020 ERC Consolidator Grant LOVE-NEST (PI: M. Linares). The main focus of the ERC team is the study of compact binary millisecond pulsars, which has an impact on a broad range of science topics (including super-massive neutron stars, nuclear physics, gravitational wave astronomy, cosmic rays, accretion flows and pulsar winds).
The position has a duration of three years, with a possible six-month extension contingent on availability and optional teaching duties. The start date is mutually agreeable, and expected September-November 2023.
The position is based in Trondheim: a vibrant multicultural city surrounded by beautiful landscapes and the third largest municipality in Norway (renowned as its technological capital). NTNU is the largest University in the country and provides excellent working conditions.
About the group
The Astrophysics and Particle Physics (APP) Group carries out research in high-energy astrophysics, astroparticle physics and multi-wavelength astronomy, as well as particle physics. Its current scientific interests include compact objects, cosmic ray production, transport and detection, astrophysical neutrinos, active galactic nuclei and quantum chromodynamics.
The APP Group is part of the Department of Physics, which currently employs about 160 people. On average some 2000 NTNU students follow courses at the Department of Physics every year.
Duties of the position
The PhD candidate will work on topics related to compact binary millisecond pulsars (aka “spiders”) within the LOVE-NEST team. The canddiate is expected to analyze, model and interpret X-ray and gamma-ray observations of spiders and related systems.
Required selection criteria
- A MSc in Astronomy or Astrophysics (by the start date of the position)
- Experience in high-energy astrophysics
- Fluent English communication, written and oral
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program.
Preferred selection criteria
- Published experience in compact objects and accretion flows
- Experience in observational high-energy astrophysics (X-ray and/or gamma-ray data analysis)
- Social and collaborative skills (ability to work in a team and contribute to its success)
- Enthusiasm for science
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- An open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- Favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Employee benefits
- Access to telescope time through dedicated ERC funds and the Nordic Optical Telescope
- Ample budget for travel, computing equipment and other research expenses
- Access to the computer cluster at the Department of Physics
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include :
- Cover letter (summarize your background and motivation to apply; max. 1p)
- CV (max. 4p; and the most important certificates/diplomas, with English translation when necessary)
- List of publications (briefly describe your contribution in the case of large collaborations; max. 4p)
- Two reference letters sent directly by the academic references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 31.05.23
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
For full details see:
Ph D Position On Thermonuclear Burning From Accreting Compact Objects , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 5 hours ago
22nd October 2023 Languages English English English The Department of physics has a vacancy for a PhD POSITION ON THERMONUCLEAR BURNING FROM ACCRETING COMPACT OBJECTS Apply for this job See advert...
Ph D Position On Thermonuclear Burning From Accreting Compact Objects, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 18 days ago
15 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Physics Research Field Physics » Other Researcher Profile First Stage ...
Phd Position On Thermonuclear Burning From Accreting Compact Objects, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
About the job We welcome applications for one PhD position at the Department of Physics of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), in collaboration with the Polytechnic Universi...
Ph D Candidate In Flexible Forming Technologies , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 5 hours ago
8th October 2023 Languages English English English Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering has a vacancy for a PhD Candidate in Flexible forming technologies Apply for this job See adv...
Ph D Candidate In The Area Of Edge Intelligence Design And Optimization , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 5 hours ago
9th October 2023 Languages English English English At the Department of Computer Science (IDI), we have a vacancy for a PhD Candidate in the Area of Edge Intelligence Design and Optimization Apply...
Ph D Candidate In The Area Of Edge Intelligence Design And Optimization, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 21 days ago
12 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Computer Science Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Pr...