4th December 2022
We are looking for a PhD candidate in the Science and Technology Studies at The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture (KULT), Centre for energy, climate and the environment.
PhD Candidate in Science and Technology Studies
Apply for this job
This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 42,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world.
You will find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
(Video unable to load from YouTube. Accept cookie and refresh page to watch video, or click here to open video)
About the position
At NTNU, Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture, we have a 3-year vacancy for a PhD Candidate in STS (science and technology studies). The PhD position is part of the interdisciplinary FME Centre Hydrogeni. For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The PhD will also be part of the Centre of Technology and Society and the research group on energy, climate and the environment. Interdisciplinary collaboration within the FME Centre Hydrogeni and the Centre for energy, climate and environment is envisaged.
The PhD candidate will work within the area of Sustainability Transitions research focusing on transformative policy mixes for cross-sectoral interactions and societal acceptance of Hydrogen. The current development of the hydrogen economy in Norway is built on a multi-level logic where regional, national and international dynamics interact, and where interests across sectors need to be aligned to succeed. This project uses the concept of transformative policy mixes for cross-sectoral interactions to understand the interactions between levels and sectors, to advance community acceptance, policy acceptance and market acceptance for hydrogen in Norway and beyond.
Your immediate leader is Head of Department, Department of Interdiciplinary Studies of Culture.
Duties of the position
The successful candidate must
- Conduct empirical data collection through qualitative methods such as interviews, focus groups, document analysis, or participatory observation.
- Analyse the collected data through theories and concepts from STS (science and technology studies) or related frameworks such as sustainability transitions
- Complete the obligatory coursework in the PhD program for Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture
- Produce a PhD thesis, preferably based on 3-4 peer-reviewed articles published in key international journals
- Disseminate results in scholarly journals and at national and international venues
- Be an active participant in the day-to-day activities at the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture, the centre for technology and society and in relevant research groups at the department.
- Show clear interest in and dedication to interdisciplinary research, which will include:
- Attendance to joint courses with other candidates recruited for the FME Hydrogeni
- Contribute to the arrangement of inter-disciplinary meetings and social gatherings hosted by or with the involvement of FME Hydrogeni and KULT
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in Science and Technology Studies (STS) or other relevant fields.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the PhD program for Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phkult
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Knowledge of social scientific studies of energy
- Interest in and experience with qualitative social science research methods
- Fluency in a Scandinavian language will be considered a strong advantage
- The successful candidate should be enthusiastic and highly motivated
- The candidate should be capable to work both independently and with other researchers and partners in the project
- The candidate should be open to interdisciplinary scientific cooperation
- The candidate should be interested in working in an active, open and collectively oriented research environment
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants , and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- A letter of motivation (max three pages), describing your scholarly profile and preliminary ideas related to the further development of the PhD project
- Name and address of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here . If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Working at NTNU
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation . You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Marianne Ryghaug, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tomas Moe Skjølsvold, email: email@example.com . If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Hilde Saxi Gildberg, firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 04.12.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities offers a wide range of study programmes in the humanities, and is Norway’s second largest faculty of humanities measured in the number of students. We develop leading academic groups in the action-oriented humanities, as well as innovative and inquiry-based teaching and learning. The Faculty consists of seven departments as well as a Faculty administration.
Apply for this job
4th December 2022
NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Fulltime (1 stillinger) Fulltime (%)
Place of service
Ph D Candidate In Hydrogen Based Zero Carbon Marine Power Systems, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, about 15 hours ago
About the job The Department of Marine Technology is looking for a PhD Candidate in Hydrogen-Based Zero-Carbon Marine Power Systems. For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doc...
Industrial Ph D Position In Time Resolved X Ray Computed Tomography (Ct), NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
About the job A PhD position in experimental physics in the field of time-resolved X-ray microscopy is available at at the Department of Physics (NTNU) in close collaboration with Equinor ASA. By ...
Ph Ds In Integrative Global Change Biology, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
About the job We are looking for two PhD candidates to be part of an interdisciplinary team investigating the physiological vulnerability of European insect communities. The proposed project seeks...
Ph D Candidate In Artificial Intelligence For Understanding Health Risks In Elderly , NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
About the job For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree. The DigiFrailCare project targets digitalization and the use of digit...
Ph D Candidates In Statistical Machine Learning And Signal Processing, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, about 13 hours ago
About the job For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree. One position is linked to the project AUTOSHIP and one position is li...
Ph D Candidate In Solar Energy Modelling And Forecasting, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, about 15 hours ago
About the job For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree. At the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering , there is a...