Application form availablehere . Full regulations can be downloaded here . (Requires Acrobat Reader )
History or background of award
These scholarships are for the purpose of encouraging Malaysian BEd(TESOL) graduates to undertake postgraduate research at the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies (LALS).
Up to three scholarships will be offered between 2012 and 2014.
Details of the award
1. Each scholarship is valued at NZ$15,000 which is around 60% of the international fees for a Masters program at VUW. Full fees are currently set at approximately NZ$24,800.
2. Tuition fees are paid on enrolment each year. The scholarship proportion of fees will be deducted from the fees payable upon enrolment in each year of study.
3. It is expected that students awarded the scholarship will complete their Masters part time over a maximum of three years and by distance while employed as teachers or teacher educators in Malaysia. Applicants are expected to enrol within one year of the scholarship offer.
4. Successful applicants would normally complete the Masters through a combination of taught courses and a 90 point research dissertation (LALS 584).
5. The research dissertation would be in an area of pedagogy important to the Malaysian education system and relevant to the areas of research for which LALS is internationally recognized (such as teaching and learning second language vocabulary). See here for a list of possible research areas.
6. Applicants part way through a Masters based in another university may be granted a credit transfer of up to 60 points. In such cases, the scholarship will cover 60% of tuition fees for the courses required to complete the degree.
7. Successful applicants have the option of beginning the programme in either one of the three trimesters. (Check the VUW website for current enrolment deadlines: http://www.victoria.ac.nz/home/study/dates.aspx.)
Purpose of award
To encourage BEd(TESOL) graduates to undertake research at Masters level at the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies and, through this research, to contribute to the quality of English language education in Malaysia. Successful applicants will be expected to disseminate their research findings through conference presentations, publications and workshops with colleagues.
The scholarships are available to students who:
1. graduated after 2005 from one of the five University partners offering the BEd(TESOL) twinning degree programme in conjunction with the Malaysia Ministry of Education. The university partners are: Victoria University of Wellington; The University of Auckland; The University College Plymouth St Mark & St John; Macquarie University and Queensland University of Technology.
2. have obtained a grade average of B or above in years 2-4 of their degree;
3. have at least two years teaching experience.
Applicants are not able to use this Scholarship in conjunction with any other concurrent scholarship without prior approval from Victoria University of Wellington.
Number of awards offered
Up to three.
NZ$15,000 (fees only).
Tenure of award
One to three years.
Closing dates for applications
Applications have now closed
How do students apply?
Applications for these scholarships must be completed on the forms at the above link.
Referees statements: A template form for referees is available at http://www.victoria.ac.nz/fgr/prospective-phds/applying.aspx#referees-reports. Please make this available to your referees. Reference statements should be submitted directly to the Scholarships Office by the referees. This may be by email only if they are sent from a verifiable institutional email address.
It is important that you submit ONLY the documentation requested on the application form available from the link above, additional information will not be circulated to the selection panel. Application forms and supporting documents should be sent to:
10 Kelburn Parade
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington, New Zealand
Applicants, other than those who have completed all of their study at Victoria, must include a certified copy of their academic record from other institutions with this application.
Scholarships shall be awarded solely on the basis of academic merit by the University in consultation with a representative from the Malaysian Ministry of Education.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
End of May. Some applicants may be placed on a reserve list and will not be finally notified of the success or otherwise of their applications until as late as the end of June. All correspondence will be via email.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Candidates can apply for additional funding for the dissertation research component of their degree or from the School subject to available funds. (http://www.victoria.ac.nz/fgr/current-phd/Publications/MRA.pdf.)
Who else has information about this award?
Dr Jonathan Newton
The BEd(TESOL) Programme Director,
The School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Phone: (04) 463 5113 or (04)463 5557
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently.
© Victoria University of Wellington 2014
This information comes from BreakOut, the only comprehensive collection of awards, scholarships and grants for New Zealanders. It is maintained by the Funding Information Service and if you're viewing this from a Victoria University of Wellington computer, you can use BreakOut free of charge here.
Ph D Opportunity In Geophysics, Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology, United States, about 14 hours ago
PhD opportunity in Geophysics Victoria University of Wellington Posted: 08/18/2017 Open Until: 11/03/2017 Institution: Victoria University of Wellington Open Until: 2017-11-03 We are seeking stude...
John Flood Memorial Scholarship, University of Sydney, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Funding Body: The University of Sydney Title: John Flood Memorial Scholarship Research Areas: Health Sciences Type Postgraduate Research Description: The scholarship is awarded for the best propos...
Arthur And Rita Kwan Award Ugca1027, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Key Scholarship Details Stage High school leavers Opens 02/08/2017 Closing Date See below For commencement Semester 1 2018 Value $3,000 1 Scholarship(s) available For 1 year Residency Aus Citizen/...
Tim And Kathryn Hirshman Indonesian Award Ugtr1002, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Key Scholarship Details Stage Second year students, Third year and above, Honours year students, Postgraduate students Opens 14/08/2017 Closing Date 30/05/2018 For commencement Semester 2 2018 Val...
Unsw Law Us Alumni Chapter Scholarship Ugce1306, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Be commencing any undergraduate UNSW Law dual degree program Selection Candidates will be considered on the basis of their Equity Scholarship application to UAC (University Admissions Centre). Eac...
Neville A Whiffen Memorial Award Puce1002, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Key Scholarship Details Stage High school leavers, First year students, Second year students, Third year and above, Honours year students, Postgraduate students Opens 10/08/2017 Closing Date See b...