Are you looking for a PhD position where stakeholder interaction dynamics and teamwork are the keys to success? Do you have an interest in Integrated Groundwater and Surface Water Modelling, including the impacts of groundwater salinity on freshwater availability? We have vacancies for two PhDs in the new AquaConnect programme. Will you join our team?
AquaConnect is a large NWO-funded research programme with 13 PhD’s and 4 Postdocs supported by about 40 stakeholders that aims to develop innovative solutions for making water supply resilient against future droughts. Collaboration among Researchers and with stakeholders is an important part of the job. We aim to start with AquaConnect on September 1st, 2021. AquaConnect offers you the opportunity to obtain your PhD in advanced hydrogeology, to work with others and to contribute to a sustainable society.
The Dutch delta faces significant challenges in freshwater provision for industry, agriculture, nature and domestic water during increasingly frequent severe droughts and salinization due to climate change (and the associated sea-level rise). This requires a major overhaul towards a water system that stores precipitation surplus instead of discharging it to the sea and towards use of alternative water sources, such as waste water treatment plant effluents, surface water (e.g. rain) water collected from residential areas and brackish (ground)water. AquaConnect is instrumental in this transition by developing:
AquaConnect scientific research will be performed in the following work packages:
- digital technologies to identify new (ground)water resources and assess the impact of its extraction on the environment;
- risk-assessment of cyclic water systems that include nature-based treatment and storage;
- chemical and physical technologies for fit-for-purpose water, brine and sludge supply;
- freshwater provision governance;
- the digital smart water-grid.
The scientific research in all work packages will be performed in close collaboration with a work-package focused on the application of the scientific results in four demonstration areas in the Netherlands. As a PhD candidate in AquaConnect, you will collaborate intensively with other (PhD) Researchers and end-users from various companies and institutes to translate your scientific results into tangible pilot-application and demonstration in these Dutch demonstration areas. More details about the programme can be foundhere
What will you be doing?
You will be part of a wide and dynamic consortium with significant social and environmental impacts. Your work will be beneficial to finding sustainable adaptations to the consequences of climate change.
As our PhD1 (Regional-scale integrated modelling and water self-sufficiency) you will focus your research on the following:
- setup high-resolution and scalable Integrated Groundwater and Surface Water Models including salinity groundwater for several (mainly Dutch) case studies;
- develop scenarios of water demand and water availability under future climate and socio-economic changes;
- run sensitivity runs to derive fast models of reduced complexity to model the coupled hydrological-water provision system;
- test the effectiveness of various aquifer storage-recovery and recycling methods in reaching regional water self-sufficiency.
As our PhD2 (Managing fresh groundwater resources using data-model integration) you will focus your research on the following:
- set up a scalable hyper-resolution variable-density groundwater flow and coupled salt transport model framework around a drinking water pumping facility of a water company;
- design and set up a monitoring scheme using in-situ and proximal sensing geophysics methods for 3D monitoring of groundwater salinity;
- set up a model-data-assimilation framework to integrate model simulations and geophysical observations for optimal prediction of fresh groundwater dynamics and model-predictive control of groundwater extraction;
- develop a toolbox based on the above that can be used at other water company sites.
E 2150 Ph D Student In Contaminant Hydro(Geo)Logy, Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Suriname, 19 days ago
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of mat...
Ph D Position (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 7 hours ago
For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more th...
1 Ph D Researcher And 1 Master Researcher (# Of Pos: 2), University of Bucharest, Romania, 14 days ago
University of Bucharest, Research Institute of the University of Bucharest - ICUB, ArchaeoSciences Division is hiring 1 PhD Researcher and 1 Master Researcher positions in Archaeology or Archaeosc...
Ph D Scholarship Deep Learning For Efficient Groundwater Modelling, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 7 days ago
Study Area(s): Technology; Science Scholarship Level: Doctoral Closing Date(s): 30 July 2021 Tenure: Up to three years, subject to yearly renewal Number offered: One Value: A stipend of $27,500 pe...
4 Marie Curie European Industrial Doctorate Ph D Fellowships For Early Stage Researchers Eid Project... (# Of Pos: 4), Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 11 days ago
Applications are welcome for the opening of 4 Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) positions associated with PhD-level research activities as part of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie European Industrial Docto...
Ph D (M/F) Estimating Methane Emissions From Wetlands Based On Satellite Data, CNRS, Suriname, 15 days ago
This work is part of the research activity of the French-Chinese institute SOFIE with strong collaborations between Beijing university (PKU), LSCE and LERMA (IPSL laboratories). LERMA with the sup...