Do you have a background in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Engineering, or Security? Are you interested in doing a PhD with multi-disciplinary collaborations on AI and Security? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
FTE: 0.8 - 1
Vrije Universiteit, a highly ranked university, will start a multi disciplinary research project on 'Hybrid Explainable Workflows for Security and Threat Intelligence' and is looking for three PhD students; one on experimental validation (this one), one focusing on formal reasoning about security and threat intelligence and another on automated analysis of uncertainty. Please check VU vacancy website for the other two PhD positions.
The PhD students at VU will work closely together with our colleagues at TU Delft University and Leiden University working on governance and public policy. The students will also work in close collaboration with Thales and TNO where part of the research will be carried out.
Project: Security Threat Intelligence hybrid workflows
For security threat intelligence humans and artificial intelligence collaborate to obtain actionable intelligence. Their sources and methods often have significant uncertainties and biases. Experts are aware of such limitations but lack formal means to handle these uncertainties in their daily work. You will collectively work towards the high-level goals of building a ``metadata of uncertainty’’ for threat intelligence (in both machine-readable and also human-interpretable forms) and validating it empirically. Intelligence agencies could then explicitly reason about the trade-off between accuracy, proportionality, privacy and cost-effectiveness of investigations. This contributes to using AI for better security and securing AI for a better society.
- To contribute towards solving a key scientific challenge in the area of security and intelligence
- To design and conduct experimental and empirical studies, possibly including controlled experiments, descriptive and observational studies, case studies with industrial partners, interview and survey studie
- Identify and capture the uncertainty-effects of threat intelligence practices
- Perform statistical analysis of collected data using most relevant languages and tools (R, Python,...)
- To work part of a team of fellow researchers and students, share research ideas, results, and effectively communicate progress to produce top quality results. Part of the work will be at TNO premises.
- To develop the necessary empirical protocols and measures and package them for broader impact (e.g., for study replications from other research fields or by industry and public administration partners)
- Writing scientific publications as the main driving force and as co-author, attending international conferences and workshops to present own work and maintain up-to date with latest research findings
- Support educational activities related to one’s research field.
We are looking for applicants who have an outstanding education that is roughly equivalent to a MSc in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Security, Software Engineering, or other related topics with a proven interest in any of the above areas. We accept applications from students who have not yet completed their master thesis but plan to do so within a few months.
- MSc degree in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Security, Software Engineering, or related field OR ongoing Master student close to completion (few months)
- Experience with HCI or Cognitive Science / Psychology would be useful
- A keen interest in interdisciplinary research in AI for a better security and securing AI for a better society
- Fluency in speaking and writing in the English language and good communication skills (interpersonal and presentation skills)
- Solid knowledge of Security and threat intelligence
- Solid knowledge of Statistical and analytical skills
- Solid knowledge of programming languages for statistical analysis (R, Python,...)
- (Ideally) Some experience analyzing data collected with human participants
- (Ideally) Knowledge of designing and conducting empirical studies
- Applicants would need to pass a security screening to be able to interact with security analysts
What are we offering?
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2.541 (scale phd) per month during the first year and increases to €3.247 (scale phd) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 18 months. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
- contribution to commuting expenses
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 30,000 students. We employ over 5,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to more than 11,000 students.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until25th of November 2022
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Dr. Eng. Fabio Massacci or Dr. Katja Tuma
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
3 Ph D Positions In Quantum Theoretical Chemistry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 19 days ago
3 PhD positions in Quantum Theoretical Chemistry 3 PhD positions in Quantum Theoretical Chemistry Published Deadline Location today 19 Feb Amsterdam The Theoretical Chemistry group led by Lucas Vi...
Ph D Position In Forensic Probability And Statistics, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 23 days ago
PhD position in Forensic Probability and Statistics PhD position in Forensic Probability and Statistics Published Deadline Location yesterday 1 Mar Amsterdam Are you interested in working in proba...
Two Ph D Positions In Social Science Genetics At Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 28 days ago
Two PhD Positions in Social Science Genetics at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Two PhD Positions in Social Science Genetics at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Published Deadline Location yesterday 22 J...
Ph D Candidate On M Rna Trafficking And Local Translation At The Synapse, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 23 days ago
PhD candidate on mRNA trafficking and local translation at the synapse PhD candidate on mRNA trafficking and local translation at the synapse Published Deadline Location yesterday 3 Feb Amsterdam ...
Ph D Scholarship: Load Monitoring, Failure Prediction And Design Optimization For Mechatronic Systems, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, 4 days ago
The Faculty of Engineering, Department Toegepaste natuurkunde en fotonica, is looking for a PhD-student with a doctoral grant. More concretely your work package, for the preparation of a doctorate...
Ph D Position Patient Engagement In Health Research And Care Practice – Athena Institute (Amsterdam), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
PhD position patient engagement in health research and care practice – Athena Institute (Amsterdam) PhD position patient engagement in health research and care practice – Athena Institute (Amsterd...