The Robotics Group of the Control Systems Technology section (CST; website) of the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e; website) is looking for multiple PhD students to strengthen its research on (multi) robot control, perception and human-robot interaction.
Irène Curie Fellowship
The CST-Robotics group is involved in several projects at national and international level and has ongoing collaborations with leading robotics companies. Example projects relate to advanced control of medical manipulators, mobile robots’ collaborative perception and mapping (world modelling), multi-robot control and human-robot interaction mediated by virtual/mixed reality.
Based on a candidate’s profile and ambitions, we will find the best project’s match.
We are looking for highly motivated students with a diversity of interests and excellent communication skills which are intrigued by developing theoretical results that can be demonstrated in practice.
The ideal candidates are also willing to actively engage with our partners to discuss results and identify exciting research directions.
We offer state-of-the-art lab equipment with more than ten heterogenous mobile robots, a large arena for lab testing, VR equipment, multiple manipulators and several motion capture systems.
Important values within the CST-Robotics group are creativity, teamwork and empathy. The group is the home of Tech United Eindhoven, current world champion in RoboCup MSL robot soccer and the @Home competition for domestic service robots. Prior experience with the RoboCup competition or similar activities is considered a plus.
The Control Systems Technology section as part of the department of Mechanical Engineering (ME) has an internationally recognized reputation in mechatronics, precision motion control and robotics. CST targets areas in Precision Machines, Robotics, Biomedical and Automotive engineering by designing performance based controllers, intelligent machine and algorithm designs. CST has a track record of over twenty years in bringing state-of-the-art systems and control theory into new designs and high-tech applications.
The CST group has a track record in European projects. It was coordinator of the FP7 – ROBOEARTH project, is and has been participating in H2020 projects EUREYECASE, ROPOD, AUTOPILOT and more recently SAFE-UP and many more European and nationally funded projects (INTEREG, OPZUID, FAST).
The model-based, multidisciplinary-oriented approach has proven to be highly valuable in the field of robotics. The CST group is led by Prof. M. Steinbuch and has produced 5 start-ups in the past 10 years (Preceyes, MicroSure, Eindhoven Medical Robotics, Smart Robotics and RUVU).
- A master’s degree (or an equivalent university degree) in Physics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- A research-oriented and proactive attitude.
- Good programming skills in C/C++, Python and/or Matlab/Simulink
- Excellent modelling skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Proactive and entrepreneurial mind-set, getting things done mentality.
- Active former membership of student teams participating in competitions such as RoboCup are considered as a big plus.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 27 (min. €2,541 max. €3,247).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process .
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Hind Boulgalag, HR advisor, +31 (0)247 5902 or h.boulgalag[at]tue.nl or hrservices.gemini[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three referees.
- Your MSc thesis.
- A list of grades for bachelor and master
- Optionally letter(s) of recommendation
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Ph.D. Scholarships In Advanced Systems Engineering, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy, 18 days ago
18 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Free University of Bozen-Bolzano Department Faculty of Engineering Research Field Engineering Computer science Researcher Profile First Stage Resea...
Ph D Position For Learning Based Model Predictive Control With Formal Guarantees , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 15 hours ago
14.05.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal The research group Cyber-Physical Systems of Prof. Matthias Althoff at the Technical University of Munich offers a PhD position in the area of learning-base...
Ph D Position Data Enabled Systems And Control Co Design For Large Scale Wind Turbines, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Develop data-enabled system and control co-design algorithms, synergizing control theory with novel machine learning techniques, to reinforce the performance of future-engineered systems. In the l...
Ph D On ‘Mathematical And Algorithmic Foundations Of Learning 3 D Printing’, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 29 days ago
PhD on ‘Mathematical and Algorithmic foundations of learning 3D printing’ PhD on ‘Mathematical and Algorithmic foundations of learning 3D printing’ Published Deadline Location today 18 Jun Eindhov...
Ph D Stipend In 5 G Connected Assistive Robots, Aalborg University, Denmark, about 23 hours ago
Wireless connectivity and cloud computing will be the driving forces of 5G systems, enabling the novel use case in digital health. An important future use case are cloud-connected assistive robots...
Ph D Position In Differentiable Simulation And Machine Learning For Musculoskeletal Robotics, ETH, Switzerland, 7 days ago
At the Soft Robotics Laboratory, we offer a fully-funded doctoral position for computational design optimization of electrohydraulic musculoskeletal robots. Our research group creates artificial m...