PhD student 'Exploring the causes and consequences of compulsive socialmedia use among adolescents in a cross-national context (0,8 FTE)
You will be employed at the Department of Interdisciplinary Social Science of the faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Utrecht University. The department’s research activities are organized within two programs: ‘Migration, Cultural Diversity, and Ethnic Relations’ and ‘Youth in changing cultural contexts’, a third one is in development. The research group ‘Youth in Changing Cultural Contexts’ focusses on pressing youth issues from different social scientific perspectives. Because of the intensification of social media use, particularly since the broad introduction of smartphones among (young) adolescents, one of these issues is social media use.
To address this gap in the literature, we are looking for an excellent graduate student for a 4-year PhD (0,8 fte), who can conduct a PhD project on (compulsive) social media use during adolescence and its impact on psychosocial and school functioning using national and international data as well as data from a longitudinal project on this topic. As part of the project, the PhD will participate in the Dutch Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study, a large-scale, cross-national, 4-year recurrent study on adolescent’s wellbeing and health behaviours and their social context (for more information see https://hbsc-nederland.nl/ and http://www.hbsc.org/ ). More specifically, the PhD will assist with the Dutch data collection and the organization/writing of the Dutch HBSC report 2017 (approximately 0,6 for about one year) (see https://hbsc-nederland.nl/ for examples of earlier reports).
- Integrating the multidisciplinary evidence of the origins and consequences of (compulsive) social media use;
- developing innovative research questions on this topic using nationally and internationally representative cross-sectional and longitudinal data;
- analyzing large population-based samples as well as longitudinal data;
- publishing the results of the work as scientific articles in high ranked journals and conferences;
- collaborating with the national and international HBSC research team;
- participating in the school-based data collection;
- coordinating the writing of the Dutch HBSC report.
- You should have a strong background (preferably a Research Master) in psychology, pedagogics, sociology or other relevant areas with demonstrable expertise in complex statistical analyses (multilevel analysis, structural modeling);
- you should be able to use one, and ideally several, statistical software packages (Mplus, Lisrel and R);
- you have demonstrable experience in handling big (cross-sectional or longitudinal) datasets is an advantage;
- you have knowledge of adolescent studies, preferably on social media use/gaming;
- you have an interest in development and developmental trajectories of children and adolescents;
- you are able to coordinate and participate in data collection in primary and secondary education;
- you have responsibility, dependability, and ability to work independently;
- you have excellent knowledge of the Dutch and English language, both written and oral.
We offer a 0,8 FTE position for 4 years. Your salary will range from a minimum of €2,222 to a maximum of €2,840 per month based on a full-time appointment (according to the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). In addition, we offer attractive and flexible secondary terms of employment such as an annual holiday pay of 8%, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% per year and partially paid parental leave. Preferable starting date is the 1st of September 2017.
Over de organisatie
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University , the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions, Life Sciences and Sustainability.The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is one of the leading faculties in Europe providing research and academic teaching in interdisciplinary social science, cultural anthropology, educational sciences, pedagogical sciences, psychology, and sociology. Research and teaching activities are concentrated in five areas: Behaviour in Social Contexts; Child and Adolescent Studies; Cognitive and Clinical Psychology; Education and Learning; and Methodology and Statistics.
More than 5.600 students are enrolled in a broad range of undergraduate and graduate programs. The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences has some 850 faculty and staff members, all providing their individual contribution to the training and education of young talent and to the research into and finding solutions for scientific and societal issues.
For more information on the project, you can contact dr Gonneke Stevens, tel.: 030 2533488; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or dr Regina van den Eijnden; email:
Ph D On Upscaling C Vvp, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
PhD position on: Upscaling of low-carbon community driven energy ini-tiatives by means of cVPP The intended starting date for this position is Dec 1, 2017 and can be further negotiated with intere...
Ph D Candidate On The History Of Dutch Colonial Culture In Asia, Leiden University, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Leiden University, the Faculty of Humanities, Institute for History is looking for a PhD Candidate on the history of Dutch colonial culture in Asia (2 positions, 1.0 FTE) Vacancy number 17-407 The...
Ph D Scholarship At The Danish National Research Foundation Centre For Privacy Studies (3 Years), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 12 hours ago
Centre for Privacy Studies (PRIVACY), funded by the Danish National Research Foundation and based in Copenhagen, advertises 3-4 fully funded PhD positions within the fields of Architectural Histor...
Ph D Candidates In The Field Of Linguistics (Specialization: Sign Languages), Leiden University, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University Centre for Linguistics has a vacancy for Two PhD Candidates in the field of linguistics (specialization: sign languages) (1.0 fte) Vacancy number: 17-387 T...
Phd Candidate In Remote Sensing For Nature Conservation, Leiden University, Netherlands, 12 days ago
The Faculty of Science, Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), Leiden University is looking for a PHD candidate in remote sensing for nature conservation Vacancy number: 17-392 To develop ecoi...
Ph D Studentships On The Physics Of Fluid Jetting, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Departments Department of Applied Physics Reference number V34.3050 Job description The Turbulence and Vortex Dynamics (WDY) group at the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands, http:...