Department of Electrical Engineering
The Electromagnetics for Care & Cure laboratory (www.tue.nl/EM4C&C) within the Department of Electrical Engineering of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), and the hyperthermia group within the Department of Radiotherapy of Erasmus MC, seek to hire an outstanding PhD candidate within the field of magnetic resonance (MR) controlled hyperthermia cancer therapy.
Heating of tumors to a temperature of up to 43˚C, i.e. hyperthermia, significantly enhances radiotherapy and chemotherapy without adding extra toxicity to healthy tissue. The body, however, responds to the heating by a very efficient, but inhomogeneous, thermoregulation in tissues, especially in the tumor. Achieving the optimum temperature therefore is a challenge. At Erasmus MC in Rotterdam, two unique MRI-hyperthermia devices are available for MRI temperature measurements during therapy. In this project, novel control technology will be developed for advanced feed-back control. In context of feedback control, you will be responsible for the real-time tissue properties estimation techniques as basis for the model-based control. This requires knowledge on (or affinity with): MRI postprocessing, multiphysics simulations and model reduction techniques, as well as experimental skills for testing and clinically implementing the technology. We offer a vibrant, multi-disciplinary research group, and close cooperation with medical doctors, technicians, RF engineers, MRI experts, and manufacturers of MRI and thermal therapy systems.
A healthy population and excellence in healthcare through research and education is what the Center for Care & Cure Technologies Eindhoven (www.tue.nl/c3te) and Erasmus MC stand for. Conducting groundbreaking work, pushing boundaries and leading the way in research, education, and healthcare. We are practical people with a high level of expertise, working hard in collaborative settings to renew healthcare of today and public health of tomorrow.
The modelling work of the project will be carried out both at the Electromagnetics for Care & Cure laboratory of TU/e. The experimental and clinical work, leading to implementation, experimentation and clinical evaluation, will be performed at the Hyperthermia group of the Department of Radiation Oncology of Erasmus MC Cancer Institute.
The research fits within an ongoing collaboration between TU/e, Erasmus MC, University of Cologne, University of Munich and four MRI / therapy companies on MR guided thermal therapy. Hence, you will work at the forefront of Image Guided Therapy in a dynamic, challenging, multi-disciplinary and cooperative research environment.
We are looking for candidates that match the following profile:
- A master's degree in Electrical / Biomedical Engineering or related discipline with excellent grades.
- Excellent knowledge of multi-physics modelling.
- Experience with experimentation and affinity with clinical work.
- Solid programming skills (e.g., in Matlab and python or C).
- A team player that enjoys to work in multicultural teams.
- Good communication and organization skills.
- Excellent English language skills (writing and presenting).
Conditions of employment
- We offer a fixed-term, 4 year position in two research groups with an excellent reputation. The gross monthly salary is € 2.222,- in the 1st year and increases to € 2.846,- in the 4th year (scale OIO).
- Salary and benefits are according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement for Dutch University Medical Centers (CAO UMC).
Information and application
- For more information about the project and any informal enquiries, please contact dr.ir. M.M. Paulides (m.m.paulides[at]tue.nl) or prof.dr. G.C. van Rhoon (g.c.vanrhoon[at]erasmusmc.nl)
- Note that the project will be conducted both in Eindhoven (TU/e) and Rotterdam (Erasmus MC) so you should be willing to travel between the two institutes.
- You will be employed at Erasmus MC so being able to present a certificate of good conduct is a condition for the appointment but PhD defense ceremony is envisaged to be at TU/e
If interested, please use 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following:
- a letter of motivation and portfolio with relevant work;
- a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s));
- contact information of two references;
- copies of diplomas with course grades;
Candidates will be selected based on graduation mark and proficiency at university including consideration of the reputation of the university, relevant experience and skills, writing skills and publications, work experience as well as performance in relevant modeling exercises and interviews.
You can upload only one document (maximum file size is 10 MB). You have to bundle the documents.
Ph D Student In Inclusive Cities Opens External, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Research Theme “Inclusive Urban Development” We are looking for a PhD student on the topic of inclusive urban development operating at the intersection of political economy, urban studies and phil...
Ph D Student For Comprehensive Academic Outreach And Advancement Project At Erasmus University Rotterdam – (0,8 1fte)Opens External, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
The General Management Directorate (ABD) The General Management Directorate (Algemene Bestuursdienst, ABD) is the central staff organisation responsible for the organisation and support of EUR’s p...
Ph D Student (Technical Ee, Cs), Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 8 days ago
Your challenge You contribute to research that is part of the programme 'A personalized care path for brain tumor patients'. As a PhD student you focus on the technical AI techniques and Machine L...
2 Full Time Early Stage Researcher (Esr) Positions At Heat N Mof Project (# Of Pos: 2), Fundacion IMDEA Energia, Belgium, 23 days ago
We are happy to announce the availability of 2 Early Stage Researcher (ESR) positions of EU Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) funded by the HeatNMof H2020 project, an EU Innovative Training Ne...
Ph D Position: Resilient And Secure Coordination In Networked Multi Robot Systems, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 4 days ago
Description of the position Multi-agent robotic systems often operate in complex and uncertain environments and under various constraints, while accurate acquisition of local information (such as ...
Phd Students In Mathematics Physics Astronomy And Computer Science On The Subject Of Unravelling..., Centrum Wiskunde en Informatica (CWI), Netherlands, 14 days ago
Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI), Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and Leiden University (UL) have 6 vacancies within the recently approved NWO-ENW (Science domain) Groot project UNRA...