Description of the PhD trajectories:
The successful applicants are committed to conducting independent and original scientific research, to report on this research in international publications and presentations, and to present the final results of the research in a PhD dissertation. The PhD students participate in local, national and international training activities, including summer schools and conferences, to maximally develop their potential.
As a member of the Graduate School for the Humanities, a PhD candidate may participate in courses, seminars and summer schools organized by Dutch national graduate school Landelijke Onderzoekschool Taalkunde (LOT) or by the Groningen Research School of Behavioural and Cognitive Neurosciences (BCN).
Linguistic research in the Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen is organized in the Center for Language and Cognition Groningen (CLCG), which includes 4 research lines:
• Computational Linguistics
• Discourse and Communication
• Neurolinguistics and Language Development
• Theoretical and Empirical Linguistics.
The proposed PhD research must be closely connected with research currently carried out within one of these research lines. Your intended promotor must be a staff member of CLCG (full professor or associate professor with ius promovendi). You must ask his approval via the form under item 2 below. Please see the website of CLCG for additional information on the institute: http://www.rug.nl/research/clcg
Your qualifications are:
• a master's degree in linguistics (or related discipline) with an excellent academic record (GPA: min. 8/10; MA thesis: min. 8/10). A research master (or other two-year master programme is preferred).
• proven research abilities and affinity with the research topic
• excellent command of English and good academic writing skills.
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative university offering high-quality teaching and research. Its 35,000 students are encouraged to develop their own individual talents through challenging study and career paths. The University of Groningen is an international center of knowledge: it belongs to the best research universities in Europe and is allied with prestigious partner universities and networks worldwide.
The Graduate School for the Humanities is the home for all PhD candidates of the Faculty of Arts (circa 200), and is committed to creating and maintaining excellent conditions for PhD research in all fields of the humanities. In addition to organizing local courses, the GSH works closely with 16 national research schools which offer regular courses and seminars by national and international top researchers.
The PhD scholarship programme:
Information about the legal and financial framework of the PhD scholarship programme can be found here: https://www.rug.nl/(...)holarship-programme/ Please study the conditions carefully before applying.
You will participate in the Faculty’s GSH training programme for PhD students (https://www.rug.nl/(...)adschool-humanities/ ). Part of the training consists in following the Career Perspectives curriculum, which aims to prepare students for their (academic or non-academic) careers after the PhD trajectory. You are also strongly encouraged to expand your skill set by following the faculty-funded Start-to-Teach programme as part of your PhD training. (see here: https://www.rug.nl/(...)lopment-as-a-teacher ).
Start date: 1 September 2021.
Please send your entire application (in English) as a single PDF-file until 9 May 23:59 pm / before 10 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) at the latest, by means of the application form (click on 'Apply' below on the advertisement on the university website). Please upload your entire application as "letter of motivation attachment" (via ‘fill form manually’), and follow the exact order below, when uploading your documents into a single PDF file.
Your PDF submission should follow this format: https://www.rug.nl/(...)ation-form-2021.docx
and contain the following parts:
1. A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct scientific research, and locating your research within one of the research lines
2. The signed approval of the intended promotor via this form: https://www.rug.nl/(...)ed-promotor-2021.pdf
3. A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable), and a copy of the data page of your passport
4. A certified copy or scan of your MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record including a list of grades
5. A research proposal, focusing on the central research question to be addressed and the proposed method of approaching and answering this question (no more than (!) 1000 words, tables and references excluded, and a project title), according to the format of the proposal that you find in the CLCG application format mentioned above
6. Names and contact details of two academic references.
Interviews with selected candidates will take place in the second week of June 2021.
For questions regarding the submission procedure, please contact Drs M.R.B. Wubbolts, E: firstname.lastname@example.org or the coordinator of CLCG, C. Englert, MA, E: email@example.com
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. R.M. Esser (questions regarding the Graduate School for the Humanities), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. G.J.M. van Noord (questions regarding the Center for Language and Cognition Groningen), email@example.com
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
Ph D Position In Host Microbiome Associations In Birds (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Faculty of Science and Engineering GELIFES, the Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences, (http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/), institute of the Faculty of Science and Engineering, at t...
Ph D Position Real World Evidence For Precision Drug Therapy , University of Groningen ;, Netherlands, 23 days ago
Job description In the unit of Pharmacotherapy, Epidemiology and Economics (PTEE) of the Groningen Institute for Pharmacy (GRIP: http://www.rug.nl/grip ) we are looking for a PhD candidate for a p...
Ph D Position In Multiscale Modeling Of Supramolecular Materials, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 29 days ago
We offer in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities: • a salary of € 2,395 in the first year to a maximum of € 3,061 gross per month in the final year (PhD salary sc...
Ph D Position In Theoretical Island Biogeography (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences, GELIFES (http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/), institute of the Faculty of Science and Engineering, at the University of Groningen, The Netherla...
Ph D Position In Theoretical Island Biogeography (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 17 days ago
Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences, GELIFES (www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/ ), institute of the Faculty of Science and Engineering, at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands in...
Ph D Position In Host Microbiome Associations In Birds (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 8 days ago
The student will conduct comparative and experimental research in the field and in captivity on the preen gland microbiome of birds, in close collaboration with a postdoc, Dr Veronika Gvozdikova J...