12 May 2023
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
25 Jun 2023 - 22:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Bolted ring flanges form the common connection between foundation and tower in offshore wind farms. Despite its the widespread use, there are still fundamental challenges such as the prevention of premature bolt failure. With the increasing size of wind turbines and hence ring flanges, they become so large that there is a lack of evidence of their structural performance. In addition, installation, maintenance become more complex. The fatigue performance of a bolted ring flange heavily relies on the quality of all elements of the connection. Measurement data gathered during installation can partially identify error sources and thereby assist in the structural reliability. Using finite element models of bolts and bolted ring flange connections, combining this with installation measurement and in-service inspection possibilities, and embedding this in a probabilistic framework, you will evaluate the system reliability of large ring flanges. You will validate your models with tests carried out by our partners. Comparing the evaluated reliability with its requirement, you will set the standard for installation and production tolerances of large ring flanges.
You are experienced in the following three fields: 1) structural reliability (probabilistic) analysis; 2) finite element modelling; and 3) fatigue. You are able to analyse the mechanical behaviour of a complex system. You like cooperating with others and at the same time you take responsibility for your own work. You hold:
- A master's degree (or an equivalent university degree) in Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- A research-oriented attitude.
- Proof that you fluently speak and write English (C1 level).
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale P (min. € 2.541,- max. € 3.247,-).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process .
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it's like as a PhD candidate at TU/e? Please view the video: How about a PhD at TU/e? - YouTube
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact the hiring manager Johan Maljaars, Full Professor, j.maljaars[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 2162.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Scott Jacops, HR advisor, s.m.m.c.b.jacops[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 3161.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Postal Code
- 5612 AP
- De Rondom 70
Where to apply
De Rondom 70
- Postal Code
2 Ph Ds On Modulation And Coding For Adaptive Free Space Optical Communications, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.6914 Job description Are you fascinated by the idea of high-speed space Internet, envisioned to be powered by mo...
Ph D (M/F/D) On Coded Modulation Schemes For Optical Access/Metro Networks, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.6917 Job description The Information and Communication Theory Lab (ICT lab) is currently seeking to recruit, sta...
Ph D On Mechanobiology Of Fibrous Tissue Architecture, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Biomedical Engineering Reference number V50.6893 Job description We invite applications for a PhD position at the interface of mechanobiology, cell–matrix i...
Ph D Studentships On Nanophotonic Sensing, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
The Semiconductor Nanophotonics lab at the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands) anticipates the opening of several PhD student positions on nanophotonic sensing. Irène Curie Fellow...
Ph D In Scale Up Of Photochemical Processes, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Reference number V37.6906 Job description For a recently awarded research grant by Netherlands Scientific Organisation (N...
Ph D On Time Predictable High Performance Computing, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Are you interested to do research on high-performance computing for real-time systems? Do you want to integrate teams from two world-renown universities: the Eindhoven University of Technology and...