29 Aug 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
26 Sep 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Leiden University College The Hague at Leiden University would like to announce an exciting opportunity for a dedicated researcher (and teacher). We are now accepting applications for a fully-funded, four-year PhD position as part of the Resilient Ecosystems and Flourishing Communities (REFloC) project.
REFloC draws from the disciplines of economics, sociology, public health, sustainability science, and law. Our mission? To delve into the heart of the vulnerabilities of Forest Dependent Communities (FDCs) using Ghana as a case study to discover innovative conceptual, methodological, and policy solutions. Climate change has necessitated a global focus on sustainability, and our research will explore the meanings of lands and forests as conduits for the mutual development of humans and the environment.
The project aims to achieve four main objectives:
Carve Your Niche
While our project has broad goals, we understand the importance of individual passion and expertise. We will therefore shape the core focus of this PhD position in collaboration with the selected candidate, offering the opportunity to be part of a project with real-world impact.
This is an invitation to join a vibrant team of multi-disciplinary scholars based in the Netherlands and Ghana.
Your Role and Responsibilities
As our PhD candidate, you will work closely with Dr Davina Osei, Dr Ahmed Abubakari and Dr Jyothi Thrivikraman to deliver the following:
- Make significant contributions to the conceptualization, methodology, and data management of our project
- Develop your own PhD project within the REFloC research program, culminating in a doctoral thesis
- Participate actively in team meetings and project events
- Produce impactful scholarly works for top international peer-reviewed journals
- Present key findings at scientific conferences and stakeholder meetings, both national and international
- Contribute to project deliverables, including content creation for our website and social media platforms
- Offer mentorship to Bachelor's students affiliated with the project
- Fulfil teaching commitments in our Bachelor program Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges (0.2 FTE of a full-time appointment per year for the 4-year duration of the PhD).
We're seeking a motivated individual who not only possesses robust research skills and relevant interests (see below) but also a direct understanding of poverty. Such understanding might come from personal experiences (broadly defined) or from working closely with impoverished communities. We believe that this intimate familiarity will be an asset in delivering the project’s objectives.
Detailed Profile Requirements
- A successfully completed master’s degree in economics, political science, public policy, public health, sociology, development studies, environmental/sustainability science or a closely related social science field;
- Knowledge of the history, politics and/or socio-economic issues in Ghana
- Knowledge and curiosity about poverty, well-being or development studies
- Good training in social science research methods;
- Either strong quantitative research skills with proficiency in Stata or other statistical software packages, such as R, SAS, SPSS, OR strong qualitative research skills: with a willingness/desire to learn the other.
- Additional skills in social network analysis or Advanced GIS are an advantage;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English; fluency in any of the Ghanaian languages spoken in the middle and northern belts of Ghana is an advantage;
- Ability to present their work to both academic and professional audiences;
- Excellent social skills and ability to work constructively in an international/intercultural team;
- Committed to contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment;
- Ability to work in a highly independent, organized and result-oriented fashion;
Let's work together to create a future where both humans and nature thrive.
Terms and conditions
The appointment as a PhD candidate will be for a period of four years. Initially for a period of one year with an extension of three years after positive evaluation of progress and skills development, leading to the successful completion of a PhD thesis.
The starting date is 15 January 2024. The salary is set at € 2.770,- in the first year, increasing to € 3.539,- gross per month in the final year, in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
All our PhD candidates are embedded in the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs (FGGA) Graduate School. Our graduate school offers several PhD training courses at three levels: professional courses, skills training, and personal effectiveness. In addition, advanced courses to deepen scientific knowledge are offered by the research school.
You will also be able to follow the BKO training offered at the Faculty level (leading to the attainment of a University Teaching Qualification) should you wish to do so.
Leiden University, Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs, and Leiden University College are strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Please submit online your application no later than 26th September 2023 via the blue button in our application system. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents in PDF format, quoting the vacancy number.
- A one-page motivation letter;
- A maximum two-page research proposal indicating your research focus for the PhD;
- Grade list/transcript from previous education programmes followed and completed;
- Curriculum vitae;
- A writing sample showcasing your research and writing skills (master’s thesis or other publication if applicable);
- The names and contact details of three potential referees (no actual recommendation letters are required at this stage).
Shortlisted candidates will likely be interviewed in the first week of October 2023. Interviews will take place in The Hague or online.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Davina Osei, via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Leiden
- The Hague
- Postal Code
- The Hague
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Candidate For The Research Project Investigating Institutional Diversity And Innovation, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Apply now The Institute of Public Administration at Leiden University is looking for a PhD Candidate for the research project Investigating Institutional Diversityand Innovation: A Cross-National ...
Ph D Student In Agricultural Economics (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 23 hours ago
The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver solutions for an ecologically, economically...
Ph D Position (0.8 1.0 Fte) In Cognitive Neuroscience, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Apply now The Cognitive Psychology Unit of the Institute of Psychology at Leiden University and the Leiden Institute for Brain and Cognition (LIBC) are looking for a highly talented student for a ...
Ph D Student "Effects Of Economic Inequality On Cooperation And Conflict Between Groups, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Apply now PhD student (full-time, 4 years) “Effects of economic inequality on cooperation and conflict between groups” Applications are invited for a fully funded 4 year PhD position at the Instit...
Ph D Number Theory / Arithmetic Geometry, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Apply now PhD POSITION IN NUMBER THEORY / ARITHMETIC GEOMETRY The Mathematical Institute of the Faculty of Science, Leiden University, has a position for a PhD candidate. JOB DESCRIPTION The Mathe...
Ph D In Foodshed Climate Services For Sustainable Development In Sub Saharan Africa, Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Your job Are you passionate about improving the sustainability of food systems and combating the impacts of Climate Change in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)? An exciting interdisciplinary PhD opportunit...