What we offer
We offer a dynamic and challenging job in an internationally-oriented organisation where people receive an advanced education and scholars conduct exciting research. You will be part of an international network of top universities and renowned scholars within the field.
We offer a 4-year full-time appointment as PhD candidate in one of the research projects under the umbrella of LIMES. The first year will be a probation period, after a positive assessment the position will be extended with another 3 years.
Remuneration will be according to standard salary levels (CAO VSNU) for PhD students starting with a salary of € 2.395,- with a yearly growth to € 3.061,- gross a month in year 4 (based on a full-time appointment.)
Each year the standard salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
You have to be willing to move to (the vicinity of) Maastricht. You will be eligible for an allowance for moving costs. You may also be eligible for an allowance for alternative housing. Other secondary conditions include e.g. a pension scheme and partially paid parental leave.
You will be provided with shared office space and a PC.
Maastricht University’s Terms of Employment are laid down in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local university provisions apply as well. For more information please see the website: www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/support/UM-employees .
Estimated starting date: May 2021
The application must be submitted by email and in English, and consists of:
- the application form containing: personal details (including language proficiencies), the LIMES project targeted, and a research proposal and a work plan which responds to the relevant project description (max. 1.000 words). The research proposal must elaborate on the project description as set forth below. (cf. template )
- Annex I: A letter of motivation stating the candidate’s qualifications and reasons for interest in the position.
- Annex II: Curriculum vitae, outlining relevant work experience and research output (where applicable). Applicants who have taken a break in their career should indicate this in their application (and in their CV), so it can be taken into account during the selection process.
- Annex III: Ethics self-assessment, based on the standard ethical research principles and the ethical principles of H2020 (cf. template )
- Annex IV: Copy of Bachelor (BA) and (Research) Master (MA) degree and transcript (including GPA)
- Annex V: Proof of proficiency in English (for applicants who are neither native speakers of English nor have followed an English-taught BA or MA); see below for the expected level
- Annex VI: One academic paper (course paper; thesis; academic publication)
- Annex VII: contact information of two references (including e-mail; phone number; mailing address; and relationship to the applicant)
Following receipt of an application, the Programme Office (PO) carries out an eligibility check. In addition to the completeness of the application file, the PO also checks compliance with the Marie Skłodowska Curie Action (MSCA) requirements (1), minimum standards of academic performance (2), and language skills (3).
(1) Early-Stage Researchers (ESR) must on 10 March 2021 be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree entitling him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited, even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged.
Mobility Rule: Researchers may not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the three years immediately before 10 March 2021.
Time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
(2) LIMES requires that applicants have reached an overall average Grade Point Average (GPA) of the completed Bachelor of at least 3.4 and completed their Master study with a GPA of at least 3.5 (MA).
(3) For applicants who are neither native speakers of English nor have followed an English-taught BA or MA, the PO accepts certificates from:
- IELTS test: minimum score overall 7.0 and minimum writing score 6.5
- TOEFL test: overall, internet-based minimum score 100 and minimum writing score 25
- TOEFL test: overall, paper-based minimum score 600
- TOEFL test: overall, computer-based minimum score 250
- A Cambridge certificate: C or higher for the CAE (Certificate in Advanced English).
In case of ineligibility, the PO notifies the applicant by e-mail within ten working days after the receipt of the application.
Maastricht University is committed to nurturing an inclusive culture and a welcoming atmosphere. This inclusiveness strategy has resulted in a very diverse representation of nationalities and cultures. We strongly believe that diversity (including, but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age and (dis)ability) is to our advantage. Creating an inclusive working climate in which students and staff feel a valued member of the UM community is therefore a top strategic priority. UM values diversity within its community and encourages you to apply if you are qualified for this position.
In case of equally qualified applicants for the same position, we favour candidates from underrepresented groups in case of comparable qualification. There will be a check of the final selection results for gender and diversity balance and a possible redress.
The deadline for submitting your application is 10 March 2021.
Please send your application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org .
All applicants will be notified by 17 March 2021 at the latest as to whether they have been selected for an interview with the LIMES Cluster Committees. The interviews are expected to take place in the week of 22 March 2021. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, interviews will be held digitally. Please see the application procedure on the website for more information.
Ph D Position Archaeology Of The Limes (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
We are seeking a candidate for a PhD position in the NWO-funded NWA project 'Constructing the limes: Employing citizen science to understand borders and border systems from the Roman period until ...
Ph D Position Archaeology Of The Limes (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
PhD Position Archaeology of the Limes (1.0 FTE) Functie We are seeking a candidate for a PhD position in the NWO-funded NWA project 'Constructing the limes: Employing citizen science to understand...
Ph D Position In Heritage Studies: The Cultural And Political Presentation Of The Roman Period (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 13 days ago
We are seeking a candidate for a PhD position in the NWO-funded NWA project Constructing the limes: Employing citizen science to understand borders and border systems from the Roman period until t...
Ph D Position In Heritage Studies: The Cultural And Political Presentation Of The Roman Period (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
PhD position in Heritage Studies: the cultural and political presentation of the Roman period (1.0 FTE) Job description We are seeking a candidate for a PhD position in the NWO-funded NWA project ...
Ph D Scholarships Groningen Graduate School Of Law (6.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
You may apply until 10 May 11:59 / before 11 May 2021 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Candidates should s...
Ph D Scholarships Groningen Graduate School Of Law (6.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
Scholarship opportunities Do you like to work on a self-developed research project? The Groningen Graduate School of Law offers 6 PhD scholarships at which you will be working within an inspiring ...