The Molecular Plasmonics group at Eindhoven University of Technology have an open position (4-year PhD) wherein the candidate will develop plasmonic nanosensors to study weak and multi-valent single-molecule protein interactions.
Applied Physics and Science Education
Protein-Protein Interactions (PPIs) form the foundation of many physiological processes. Single-molecule studies of PPIs have revealed a wealth of information on interaction dynamics, conformational changes, and their modulation. The work-horse technique to study single molecules is fluorescence microscopy, but the diffraction limit of light limits this approach to low (nanomolar) protein concentrations. Many protein interactions in our body occur at high micromolar concentrations, which remain extremely difficult to study with existing techniques. In our group we have developed plasmon-mediated approaches that enable the study of single-molecule interactions at high concentrations. This approach is based on plasmon-enhanced fluorescence that exploits the strong confinement of the excitation volume by a plasmonic nanoparticle, while simultaneously enhancing the fluorescence intensity.
The candidate will use plasmon-enhanced fluorescence microscopy to study PPIs at high micromolar concentrations. The project will focus on 14-3-3 protein and its interactions with multivalent binding partners. The candidate will functionalize gold particles with protein and use single-molecule microscopy to quantify the timescales and heterogeneity of multivalent PPIs. In addition the candidate will push the limits of plasmon-enhanced single-molecule sensing in terms of protein concentration and temporal resolution.
The project will be supervised by dr. P. Zijlstra and co-supervised by prof. L. Brunsveld (Chemical Biology group) at TU/e. Close collaboration is expected with a PhD student in the group of Brunsveld working on the expression and functionalization of the proteins.
We welcome applications from candidates with a MSc degree in physics or biophysics with experience in single-molecule microscopy. Affinity with nanoparticle functionalization or quantitative analysis of microscopy data is an advantage.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program ).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. P. Zijlstra, p.zijlstra[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.flux[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include:
- a one-page cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae;
- a copy or link to your MSc thesis;
- contact information of two references;
- copies of diplomas with course grades;
We look forward to your application and will screen your application as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
Ph D Position In Cellular Biochemistry In The Field Of Proteostasis And Phase Separation, CNRS, Suriname, 18 days ago
To this end, the student will take advantage of the excellent scientific environment of the I2BC and CNRS campus. This integrative study will make use of cellular biochemistry, quantitative proteo...
Ph D Position Cryo Em Of Membrane Remodeling Proteins, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, 18 days ago
Work group: ER-C-3 - Strukturbiologie Area of research: PHD Thesis Job description: Your Job: For the Ernst Ruska-Centre for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons under the direction of Prof....
Ph D Position In Deep Learning Artificial Intelligence For Protein Stabilization In Vaccine Design, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 11 days ago
The Informatics Institute (IvI) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and Janssen R&D Vaccines team up with the vision of using artificial intelligence to improve vaccine design. The recent corona ...
Ph D Position (4 Years) At The Department Of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Norway, about 14 hours ago
PhD position At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biomedicine, a full-time temporary position as PhD candidate is available for four (4) years or max 4 months after completed the PhD degree, ...
Ph D Position In Epigenetics And Gene Regulation (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
A multitude of DNA sequence-dependent and -independent interactions between transcriptional regulators and the genome are required for tissue-specific gene expression and cell identity. Interferen...
Ph D Fellowship In Structural Biology And Pharmacology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 15 hours ago
PhD fellowship in structural biology and pharmacology PhD Project in the Autzen Lab Department of Biology Faculty of SCIENCE University of Copenhagen The Autzen Lab is inviting applications for a ...