26 Aug 2023
University of Twente (UT)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
29 Sep 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The Formal Methods and Tools group at the University of Twente is looking for a highly motivated and talented PhD candidate to join the team working on software modelling, model-driven system engineering and model transformations. The successful candidate will work on a cutting-edge research project on intelligent diagnostics. In particular, the work will be about finding ways to specify diagnosable monitoring systems, to identify models with the best diagnostic potential, to describe available knowledge to facilitate diagnostics, to define diagnostic algorithms, and to combine domain knowledge and system knowledge to provide diagnosability guarantees.
You will be working on the ZORRO project: Engineering for Zero Downtime in Cyber-Physical Systems via Intelligent Diagnostics, led by Prof. Dr. Mariëlle Stoelinga. The project is a collaboration between the University of Twente, VU Amsterdam, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, TNO-ESI and five industrial partners. Two of the PhD positions in this project will be working at the Formal Methods & Tools group, the other one on the topic of knowledge engineering . This PhD position will be supervised by Dr. Vadim Zaytsev and Dr. Marcus Gerhold.
- Conduct independent research in the area of software modelling, model-driven system engineering, and model transformations.
- Collaborate with a team of researchers and experts in the field to contribute to the development of new techniques and approaches.
- Publish research results in leading academic journals and present findings at international conferences.
- Engage in critical analysis and evaluation of existing theories and methods in the field.
- Supervise and mentor involved BSc and MSc students as needed.
- You have, or will shortly acquire, a MSc degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field.
- You have a creative mindset and excellent analytical and communication skills.
- You have some background in software modelling, model-driven system engineering, or model transformations, and are willing to delve deeper into these topics.
- You have excellent programming skills and experience with relevant tools and technologies.
- You are fluent in English and have strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- You have good team spirit and like to work in an interdisciplinary and internationally oriented environment, collaborating within the industry and academia alike.
- As a PhD student at the University of Twente, you will be appointed to a full-time position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, within a very stimulating and exciting scientific environment;
- The University offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues;
- Your salary and associated conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU);
- You will receive a gross monthly salary ranging from € 2.770,- (first year) to € 3.539,- (fourth year);
- There are excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme;
- The flexibility to work (partially) from home;
- A minimum of 232 leave hours in case of full-time employment based on a formal workweek of 38 hours. A full-time employment in practice means 40 hours a week, therefore resulting in 96 extra leave hours on an annual basis.
- Free access to sports facilities on campus;
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid);
- You will have a training programme as part of the Twente Graduate School where you and your supervisors will determine a plan for a suitable education and supervision;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other staff.
If you are passionate about computer science and interested in working on cutting-edge research, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. Are you interested to be part of our team? Please submit your application via the ‘Apply now’ button below before 30 September 2023 and include:
- A motivation letter, emphasising your specific interest and motivation to apply for this PhD position in our group.
- A full Curriculum Vitae including your education, publications, awards, and working experience. Your CV should demonstrate the scope of your work and education and indicate a good fit with the stated requirements for the position.
- An academic transcript of BSc and MSc education, including grades.
- A short description of your last large deliverable (MSc thesis, final project report, EngD thesis).
- References (contact information) of two scientific staff members (such as the supervisor of your MSc thesis/final project) who are willing to provide a recommendation letter at our request.
For further information about this position, please contact Dr.ir. Vadim Zaytsev, email@example.com or Prof. Dr. Mariëlle Stoelinga, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Interviews will take place in two phases. If selected, there will be an online interview. A subset of the candidates will be invited for an in-person interview as well.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Twente
- Postal Code
- Drienerlolaan 5
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Position On Wireless Networked Intelligence For The Xcarcity Project, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Vacancies PhD position on wireless networked intelligence for the Xcarcity project Key takeaways Increasing housing density and decreasing space for transport infrastructure and private parking ar...
Ph D Position In Philosophy Of Science In Practice, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Vacancies PhD position in Philosophy of Science in Practice Key takeaways The four-year PhD research project is fully funded, and hosted by the Philosophy of Science in Practice group at the Unive...
Ph D Positions Low Loss Sputtered Materials For Integrated Photonics., University of Twente, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Vacancies PhD positions low-loss sputtered materials for Integrated Photonics. Key takeaways Several PhD positions are available at the Integrated Optical Systems group of the University of Twente...
Ph D Position In Dynamic Demand Supply Matching In Multimodal Supply Chains, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Vacancies PhD Position in Dynamic Demand-Supply Matching in Multimodal Supply Chains Key takeaways Key takeaways The PhD research will be performed as part of an NWA project funded by the Dutch Re...
Ph D Position: Professional Learning In Software Development Teams For Ethically Responsible Ai, University of Twente, Netherlands, 18 days ago
Vacancies PhD position: Professional learning in software development teams for ethically responsible AI Key takeaways Software development teams need the capacity to develop software that meets t...
Ph D Position In Sustainable Rural Urban (R Urban) Futures, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Vacancies PhD Position in Sustainable Rural-Urban (RUrban) Futures Key takeaways Transforming the ways in which cities and the countryside are interconnected is critical to improving societal and ...