26 Aug 2023
University of Twente (UT)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
29 Sep 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The Formal Methods and Tools group at the University of Twente is looking for a highly motivated and talented PhD candidate to join the team working on software modelling, model-driven system engineering and model transformations. The successful candidate will work on a cutting-edge research project on intelligent diagnostics. In particular, the work will be about finding ways to specify diagnosable monitoring systems, to identify models with the best diagnostic potential, to describe available knowledge to facilitate diagnostics, to define diagnostic algorithms, and to combine domain knowledge and system knowledge to provide diagnosability guarantees.
You will be working on the ZORRO project: Engineering for Zero Downtime in Cyber-Physical Systems via Intelligent Diagnostics, led by Prof. Dr. Mariëlle Stoelinga. The project is a collaboration between the University of Twente, VU Amsterdam, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, TNO-ESI and five industrial partners. Two of the PhD positions in this project will be working at the Formal Methods & Tools group, the other one on the topic of knowledge engineering . This PhD position will be supervised by Dr. Vadim Zaytsev and Dr. Marcus Gerhold.
- Conduct independent research in the area of software modelling, model-driven system engineering, and model transformations.
- Collaborate with a team of researchers and experts in the field to contribute to the development of new techniques and approaches.
- Publish research results in leading academic journals and present findings at international conferences.
- Engage in critical analysis and evaluation of existing theories and methods in the field.
- Supervise and mentor involved BSc and MSc students as needed.
- You have, or will shortly acquire, a MSc degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field.
- You have a creative mindset and excellent analytical and communication skills.
- You have some background in software modelling, model-driven system engineering, or model transformations, and are willing to delve deeper into these topics.
- You have excellent programming skills and experience with relevant tools and technologies.
- You are fluent in English and have strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- You have good team spirit and like to work in an interdisciplinary and internationally oriented environment, collaborating within the industry and academia alike.
- As a PhD student at the University of Twente, you will be appointed to a full-time position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, within a very stimulating and exciting scientific environment;
- The University offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues;
- Your salary and associated conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU);
- You will receive a gross monthly salary ranging from € 2.770,- (first year) to € 3.539,- (fourth year);
- There are excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme;
- The flexibility to work (partially) from home;
- A minimum of 232 leave hours in case of full-time employment based on a formal workweek of 38 hours. A full-time employment in practice means 40 hours a week, therefore resulting in 96 extra leave hours on an annual basis.
- Free access to sports facilities on campus;
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid);
- You will have a training programme as part of the Twente Graduate School where you and your supervisors will determine a plan for a suitable education and supervision;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other staff.
If you are passionate about computer science and interested in working on cutting-edge research, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. Are you interested to be part of our team? Please submit your application via the ‘Apply now’ button below before 30 September 2023 and include:
- A motivation letter, emphasising your specific interest and motivation to apply for this PhD position in our group.
- A full Curriculum Vitae including your education, publications, awards, and working experience. Your CV should demonstrate the scope of your work and education and indicate a good fit with the stated requirements for the position.
- An academic transcript of BSc and MSc education, including grades.
- A short description of your last large deliverable (MSc thesis, final project report, EngD thesis).
- References (contact information) of two scientific staff members (such as the supervisor of your MSc thesis/final project) who are willing to provide a recommendation letter at our request.
Interviews will take place in two phases. If selected, there will be an online interview. A subset of the candidates will be invited for an in-person interview as well.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Twente
- Postal Code
- Drienerlolaan 5
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Position In Experimental Investigation Of A Thermochemical Heat Transformer For The Data Centre Waste Heat Upgrade, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 25 days ago
PhD Position in experimental investigation of a thermochemical heat transformer for the Data Centre waste heat upgrade PhD Position in experimental investigation of a thermochemical heat transform...
Knaw Early Career Award, KNAW, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
KNAW Early Career Award Behavioural Sciences, Social Sciences and Law Humanities More The KNAW Early Career Award recognizes innovative and original research and stimulates the further development...
Ph D Student For Optomechanical Silicon Nitride Devices., University of Twente, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Vacancies PhD student for Optomechanical silicon nitride devices. Key takeaways We will develop an array of optical technologies harnessing stimulated Brillouin scattering in silicon nitride-based...
Ph D Candidate “Remote Sensing Of Ecological And Thermal Effects Of Floating Solar On Lakes’ Water Quality”, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Vacancies PhD Candidate “Remote sensing of ecological and thermal effects of floating solar on lakes’ water quality” Key takeaways The University of Twente wants to be an organisation that optimal...
Ph D Position In Additive Manufacturing Of Thermochemical Materials And Heat Exchangers, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Vacancies PhD Position in additive manufacturing of thermochemical materials and heat exchangers Key takeaways This position is part of a large project recently funded by the European Union’s IPCE...
Ph D Position On Biomicrofluidics For Health: Molecular Imaging And Drug Delivery With Microbubbles And Ultrasound, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Vacancies PhD position on biomicrofluidics for health: molecular imaging and drug delivery with microbubbles and ultrasound Key takeaways Join our research team and embark on a multidisciplinary P...