Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
The goal of this project is to develop and evaluate machine-learning campaigns as well as big data architectures that continuously analyze software-defined infrastructures, their qualities, code smells, qualities as well as runtime adaptation possibilities in the scope of DevOps continuous evolution. The PhD student will explore state-of-the-art machine-learning approaches and develop prototypes for the afore-mentioned analysis in the context of sound Empirical Software Engineering research.
The to-be-developed approaches and algorithms will contribute to high-relevance/high-impact research in the context of two EU H2020 Projects focused on the afore-mentioned topics and most notably, serverless computing.
The applications will also be developed by industrial commercial partners in the scope of the afore-mentioned H2020 actions and will include additional functionality providing the user with further industrial data and information from the value-generating industrial context.
The project is a collaboration of the Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS), 's-Hertogenbosch (campus Mariënburg), Tilburg University (TiU), Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the commercial, industrial and academic partners part of the actions above.
The research will be conducted under supervision of prof.dr. Willem-Jan van den Heuvel and dr. Damian A. Tamburri. The students are expected to deliver both long-term results (understanding of machine learning in quality evaluation of software-defined infrastructures) and mid-term results (algorithms, approaches, high-impact/high-relevance papers, and best practices).
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Perform scientific research in the domain described;
- Develop software that implements the algorithms described;
- Present results at (international) conferences;
- Publish results in scientific journals;
Participate in activities of the group, mainly in 's-Hertogenbosch but sometimes also in Eindhoven or Tilburg or at one of the commercial partners in several locations in Europe.
- Have a MSc. in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, AI or a related discipline;
- Have a strong interest in machine-learning and deep-learning;
- Have excellent programming skills and be highly motivated, be rigorous and disciplined when developing algorithms and software according to high quality standards;
- Have good technical understanding of the statistical models used in data science and machine learning;
- Have knowledge of, or a willingness to familiarize themselves with, current research into machine learning for software engineering quality evaluation;
- Have a commitment to develop algorithms that analyze Big Data from software-defined infrastructures as well as Big Code;
- Be a fast learner, autonomous and creative, show dedication and be hard working;
Conditions of employment
The PhD student will be employed at Tilburg - or Eindhoven University.
- A full-time position.
- The selected candidate will start with a contract for one year, concluded by an evaluation after approximately 10 months. Upon a positive outcome of the first-year evaluation, the candidate will be offered an employment contract for the remaining three years.
- A minimum gross salary of € 2.266,- per month up to a maximum of € 2.897,-., in the fourth year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% (annually);
- Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary (the 30% tax regulation). The University will apply for such an allowance on their behalf;
- Assistance in finding accommodation (for foreign employees);
- The opportunity to perform cutting edge research in a large-scale joint data science project involving TiU, TU/e, JADS and a commercial partner and bringing together expertise of several senior researchers;
- Support for your personal development and career planning including participation in courses, summer schools, conference visits, research visits to other institutes (both academic and industrial), etc.;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including excellent technical infrastructure, savings schemes and excellent sport facilities).
Information and application
Candidates are asked to provide a motivation letter and a detailed CV.
For more information about the project, please ask your question in the motivation letter.
You can apply via the apply now button on this page. Mind that you will be redirected to the website of the Tilburg University. Applications done via the website of the Eindhoven University cannot be taken into consideration.
The vacancies will be open until we have found suitable candidates for both positions! If you are an interesting candidate we will invite you for an interview to assess whether we can be off value to each other.
Ph D Position On Ai And Data Engineering For Privacy, Tilburg University, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Phd Student, On The Subject Of New Optimization Methods For Machine Learning, Centrum Wiskunde en Informatica (CWI), Netherlands, 3 days ago
OPTIMAL (Optimization for and with Machine Learning) is a Dutch ENW-groot project funded by NWO (2019-2025), offering 5 PhD and 6 PostDoc positions in the Netherlands, starting from September 2020...
Ph D Position In Probabilistic Machine Learning, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 15 days ago
Project description The Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI) group is a new and quickly growing group embedded in the AI cluster (AIc) at the Eindhoven University of Technology and aims at...
Ph D Student, Within The Research Project Optimal, CWI, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI) has a vacancy in the Networks and Optimization research group for a talented PhD student, within the research project OPTIMAL. OPTIMAL (Optimization for and wi...
Ph D Machine Learning For Organ Allocation At Eurotransplant, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Project description The goal of the project is to apply and develop methods from data science (including machine learning methods) to quantify the benefits of transplantations depending on donor a...
Ph D Visual Analytics For Deep Image To Image Models In Medical Imaging, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 23 days ago
Project description The development of reliable Machine Learning algorithms for solving image-to-image problems like in medical image acquisition, requires a paradigm shift. On the algorithm devel...