Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
The goal of this project is to develop and evaluate machine-learning campaigns as well as big data architectures that continuously analyze software-defined infrastructures, their qualities, code smells, qualities as well as runtime adaptation possibilities in the scope of DevOps continuous evolution. The PhD student will explore state-of-the-art machine-learning approaches and develop prototypes for the afore-mentioned analysis in the context of sound Empirical Software Engineering research.
The to-be-developed approaches and algorithms will contribute to high-relevance/high-impact research in the context of two EU H2020 Projects focused on the afore-mentioned topics and most notably, serverless computing.
The applications will also be developed by industrial commercial partners in the scope of the afore-mentioned H2020 actions and will include additional functionality providing the user with further industrial data and information from the value-generating industrial context.
The project is a collaboration of the Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS), 's-Hertogenbosch (campus Mariënburg), Tilburg University (TiU), Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the commercial, industrial and academic partners part of the actions above.
The research will be conducted under supervision of prof.dr. Willem-Jan van den Heuvel and dr. Damian A. Tamburri. The students are expected to deliver both long-term results (understanding of machine learning in quality evaluation of software-defined infrastructures) and mid-term results (algorithms, approaches, high-impact/high-relevance papers, and best practices).
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Perform scientific research in the domain described;
- Develop software that implements the algorithms described;
- Present results at (international) conferences;
- Publish results in scientific journals;
Participate in activities of the group, mainly in 's-Hertogenbosch but sometimes also in Eindhoven or Tilburg or at one of the commercial partners in several locations in Europe.
- Have a MSc. in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, AI or a related discipline;
- Have a strong interest in machine-learning and deep-learning;
- Have excellent programming skills and be highly motivated, be rigorous and disciplined when developing algorithms and software according to high quality standards;
- Have good technical understanding of the statistical models used in data science and machine learning;
- Have knowledge of, or a willingness to familiarize themselves with, current research into machine learning for software engineering quality evaluation;
- Have a commitment to develop algorithms that analyze Big Data from software-defined infrastructures as well as Big Code;
- Be a fast learner, autonomous and creative, show dedication and be hard working;
Conditions of employment
The PhD student will be employed at Tilburg - or Eindhoven University.
- A full-time position.
- The selected candidate will start with a contract for one year, concluded by an evaluation after approximately 10 months. Upon a positive outcome of the first-year evaluation, the candidate will be offered an employment contract for the remaining three years.
- A minimum gross salary of € 2.266,- per month up to a maximum of € 2.897,-., in the fourth year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% (annually);
- Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary (the 30% tax regulation). The University will apply for such an allowance on their behalf;
- Assistance in finding accommodation (for foreign employees);
- The opportunity to perform cutting edge research in a large-scale joint data science project involving TiU, TU/e, JADS and a commercial partner and bringing together expertise of several senior researchers;
- Support for your personal development and career planning including participation in courses, summer schools, conference visits, research visits to other institutes (both academic and industrial), etc.;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including excellent technical infrastructure, savings schemes and excellent sport facilities).
Information and application
Candidates are asked to provide a motivation letter and a detailed CV.
For more information about the project, please ask your question in the motivation letter.
You can apply via the apply now button on this page. Mind that you will be redirected to the website of the Tilburg University. Applications done via the website of the Eindhoven University cannot be taken into consideration.
The vacancies will be open until we have found suitable candidates for both positions! If you are an interesting candidate we will invite you for an interview to assess whether we can be off value to each other.
Postdoc Position In Deep Learning For Humanoid Robots Bc 77385, ISTITUTO ITALIANO DI TECNOLOGIA, Italy, 13 days ago
The iCub Tech Facility at Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT) is seeking to appoint a postdoc in Deep-Learning for Humanoid Robots. The selected candidate will join the interdisciplinary team of...
Algorithms In Bioinformatics, Ph D, DTU Department of Health Technology, Denmark, 1 day ago
Algorithms in bioinformatics, PhD DTU Department of Health Technology General course objectives: To provide the student with an overview and in-depth understanding of bioinformatics machine-learni...
Postdoc Position “Deep Learning And Mr Imaging”, University of Twente (UT), Netherlands, 27 days ago
At the University of Twente, we focus on the grand challenges of the future including health with its key emerging areas of imaging, artificial intelligence and robotics. The Robotics and Mechatro...
Postdocdtoral Position (2 Years), Computing Science (# Of Pos: 1), Umeå University, Sweden, 9 days ago
Postdoctoral position (2 years) in Computing Science with focus on Explainable AI and Machine Learning The Department of Computing Science at Umeå University (http://www.cs.umu.se ) is seeking a p...
Postdoctoral Position (2 Years), Computing Science , Umeå University, Sweden, about 21 hours ago
Postdoctoral position (2 years) in Computing Science with focus on Explainable AI and Machine Learning The Department of Computing Science at Umeå University (http://www.cs.umu.se) is seeking a po...
Ph D Student In Numerical Analysis (# Of Pos: 1), Lund University, Sweden, about 5 hours ago
The position will be placed at the Division of Mathematics LTH and Numerical Analysis at the Centre for Mathematical Sciences. The Centre currently has strong research environments in numerics for...