PhD Position on Coastal Heritage and Climate Change
PhD Position on Coastal Heritage and Climate Change
Are you passionate about cultural heritage and eager to learn more about the impacts of climate change and how to build resilience? In the context of a HORIZON EUROPE funded collaborative project, we are looking for a passionate PhD candidate, with interests and expertise in cultural heritage and climate change topics to work with communities in European case studies as part of an international multidisciplinary team.
The Chair of Architectural History and Theory in the Department of the Built Environment at Eindhoven University of Technology invites applications for a PhD position focusing on coastal heritage and climate change. You will work as part of a HORIZON EUROPE Research and Innovation Action project, will be based in the Netherlands and will collaborate with a European research consortium.
The Horizon Europe project explores innovative and sustainable ways to safeguard coastal and underwater cultural heritage, particularly monuments, historical buildings, archaeological sites and coastal cultural landscapes from climate change effects, natural hazards and environmental pollution. It aims to achieve this goal through the development, testing and validation of an integrated multiple heritage risk assessment, protection and management system with evidence-based monitoring frameworks, innovative tools and through participatory processes.
The PhD study will be conducted as part of the Work Package concentrating on participatory co-design and co-creation processes. You will be responsible of:
- Identifying the knowledge gaps concerning climate-related multiple risks, challenges and values attributed to coastal heritage and landscapes, and building a conceptual framework to fill this gap
- Designing and developing a participatory Living Lab methodology to actively engage multi-stakeholder and citizen community. This methodology will be used for participatory value and impact assessment, training and capacity building, and action planning.
- Building a local ecosystem of stakeholders in one or two of the case study areas, with the help of local project partners, and implementation of the Living Lab methodology
- Collection and analysis of data collected through the employment of this methodology in the case area(s) that will contribute to the elaboration of the conceptual framework and stakeholder involvement for the integrated multiple hazard and protection system.
- max. 38 hours per week
- Eindhoven View on Google Maps
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- You hold a Master's degree or equivalent in relevant spatial or social sciences (i.e. heritage studies, architecture, planning, urbanism, geography, anthropology, sociology)
- You have proven knowledge on the heritage field. Affinity with vulnerabilities, impacts and climate change adaptation, and/or on participation and citizen engagement topics is considered to be an advantage.
- You have strong communication skills and ability to work in an international and interdisciplinary team.
- You are interested in collaborating with local stakeholders and community members.
- You have excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English (C1 CEFR level or equivalent) is required and knowledge of the Dutch language would be an advantage.
The project requires traveling to the case study locations. The candidate should be willing to collaborate and travel nationally and internationally.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will have the possibility to present your work at international conferences, workshops and meetings.
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students. At TU/e we challenge you to take in charge of your own learning process .
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale P (min. € 2541,- max. € 3247,-).
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- If you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called '30% facility', which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact Assistant Professor dr. Deniz Ikiz Kaya, d.ikiz.kaya[at]tue.nl.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HRServices.BE[at]tue.nl or +3140 247 3901.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Brief description of your Master thesis.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Working at TU/e
Join the Eindhoven University of Technology and contribute to a brighter tomorrow for us all. Find out what sets TU/e apart.
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
Ph D On Designing Technologies To Improve The Social Life Of People With Dementia, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences Reference number V39.6465 Job description Are you interested in designing meaningful interactive technologies...
One Position: Ph D – High Speed Electronic Photonic Integration, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Institutes and others Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute Reference number V36.6402 Job description Photonics is widely regarded as t...
Ph D Recyclable Polycarbonates By Dynamic Covalent Chemistry, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Reference number V37.6468 Job description Are you passionate about making polymer materials more sustainable and really t...
Fully Funded Ph D On “Integrated Photonic Plasmonic Circuits For Biosensing”, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Applied Physics and Science Education Reference number V34.6444 Job description The Molecular Plasmonics group together with the Photonic Integration group...
Ph D's On (Multi) Robot Control, Perception And Human Robot Interaction, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
The Robotics Group of the Control Systems Technology section (CST; website) of the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e; website) is looking for multiple PhD students to strengthen its researc...
One Position: Ph D – Hybrid Photonic Integration, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Institutes and others Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute Reference number V36.6401 Job description Photonics is widely regarded as t...