Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an excellent international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. As one of the best research institutions in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge, situated in the vibrant city of Groningen in the north of The Netherlands.
The Van Swinderen Institute for Particle Physics and Gravity (VSI) of the Faculty of Science and Engineering has an opening for a PhD position. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Assistant Prof. Ema Dimastrogiovanni on topics in theoretical cosmology, including primordial gravitational waves, inflation, reheating, cosmic microwave background physics. Dr. Dimastrogiovanni's group currently includes two PhD students. Dr. Dimastrogiovanni is involved in the scientific activities of the LISA (Laser Interferometer Space Antenna) Consortium. The successful candidate will have access to a wide network of collaborators and will also be encouraged to become an active member of the Consortium.
The successful candidate for this PhD position will have the following qualifications:
• a Master’s degree in Theoretical Physics, Astrophysics, or related areas
• knowledge of basic cosmology, advanced cosmology is considered an asset
• knowledge of at least one programming code (Python preferred but not limited to)
• very good knowledge of written and spoken English
• very good communication skills.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a gross salary of 2,395 euros per month in the first year to a maximum of 3,061 euros per month in the final year (salary scale Promovendi), based on a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a position for four years. Each successful candidate will first be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the contract period is to be expected. A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of the Faculty. The conditions of employment are available at the University of Groningen website under Human Resources: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/
For information you can contact:
Assistant Prof. Dimastrogiovanni, firstname.lastname@example.org
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)
Ph D Position Finding Suitable Grounds: Neolithic Use Of Alluvial Surfaces In The Dutch Delta (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
PhD position Finding Suitable Grounds: Neolithic use of alluvial surfaces in the Dutch delta (1.0 FTE) Functie The Department of Physical Geography at Utrecht University (UU) invites applications ...
Ph D Position Learning And Control (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 10 days ago
The University of Groningen offers, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities: • a full-time position (1.0 FTE) for 4 years • a salary of € 2,395 gross per month in...
Ph D Student For River: Real Time In Vivo Verification Of Proton Therapy, University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG), Netherlands, 4 days ago
Within the Department of Radiation Oncology of the University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG), Groningen, the Netherlands, we are looking for a motivated and ambitious PhD student to join our rese...
Ph D Positions In Experimental Particle Physics (Atlas, Higgs), University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2 days ago
The positions offered here are part of a NWO-funded physics program “At the heart of the Higgs”, which will comprise seven PhD positions and three postdoc positions at Nikhef in the period 2021-20...
Ph D Position In Logic And Theoretical Computer Science (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Applications are invited for a fully-funded 4-year PhD position in non-classical logics through proof theory at the Fundamental Computing group at the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer...
Phd Position: Emerging Materials For The Next Generation Of Anion Exchange Membrane Electrolysers (F/M), DIFFER, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
DIFFER (Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research) is one of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) institutes and focuses on a multidisciplinary approach to energy resea...