Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programs and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
Within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, a 4-years PhD position is available at the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence with the topic ‘Pattern recognition and machine learning methods for predictive analytics of financial time series’ The candidate would become a member of the research group Intelligent Systems and will work under the supervision of Prof. N. Petkov.
Financial markets generate huge quantities of data. Worldwide there are more than one hundred thousand companies whose shares are publicly traded on stock exchanges. Their prices change with time and are correlated with past and present prices of other stocks. Traditional signal processing and machine learning models have been applied to the price time series of single stocks.
In a project with the title ‘Pattern recognition and machine learning methods for predictive analytics of financial time series’, we will develop deep learning methods that process multiple time series. Furthermore, we will design these methods in such a way that they can process simultaneously time series data and fundamental indicators that characterize the economic performance of companies.
The objective of the temporary position is the production of a number of research articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals, which together will form the basis of a thesis leading to a PhD degree (Dr) at the University of Groningen.
The successful candidate should have:
• a Master degree in computer science, econometrics or another relevant discipline
• excellent study results: high GPA, high rank in the class and year (preferably belong to the upper 10%), received awards, etc.
• knowledge of and experience with machine learning methods
• research experience and co-authorship of scientific articles, ability to write scientific texts
• good command of English language
• good analytical skills, ability to be curious, proactive and creative, ability to work independently
• good social skills, ability to work in a team, good character.
Conditions of employment
We offer you, following the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary of € 2,541 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 3,247 gross per month in the fourth and final year for a full-time working week
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
• a full-time position (1.0 FTE). The successful candidate will first be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the next three years is to be expected. A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of Science and Engineering.
Starting date: 1 December 2022
For information you can contact:
Prof. N. Petkov, N.Petkov@rug.nl
(please do not use the email addresses above for applications)
Ph D Positions Clcg (2.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Applications are invited for two fully funded, four-year PhD positions within the research project “Graphs and Ontologies for Literary Evolution Models” (GOLEM), financed by an ERC Starting Grant ...
Ph D Student Position In Cancer Biology: Inflammatory Signaling In Breast Cancer, University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG), Netherlands, 18 days ago
PhD student position in cancer biology: Inflammatory signaling in breast cancer PhD student position in cancer biology: Inflammatory signaling in breast cancer Published Deadline Location today 12...
Ph D Position In Predictive Asset Maintenance Using Operations Research And Machine Learning (1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
Print this page PhD position in Predictive Asset Maintenance using Operations Research and Machine Learning (1.0 FTE) PhD position in Predictive Asset Maintenance using Operations Research and Mac...
Ph D Out Of Distribution Detection For Medical Ai, Amsterdam UMC, Netherlands, 18 days ago
PhD Out-Of-Distribution detection for medical AI PhD Out-Of-Distribution detection for medical AI Published Deadline Location 18 Nov 11 Dec Amsterdam Application of Machine Learning methods in hea...
Ph D In Developing Machine Learning For Polymer Systems, BCAM - Basque Center for Applied Mathematics, Spain, about 7 hours ago
Basque Center for Applied Mathematics is offering a PhD position in Developing machine learning for polymer systems in the framework of CINEMA project to work with Jose A. Lozano. The aim of the r...
Ph D Scholarship In High Precision Finishing And On Machine Balancing Of High Speed Am Impellers , Technical University of Denmark ;, Denmark, 8 days ago
The Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) has an open PhD position on the topic of “High precision post processing high speed and high-perfo...