20 Sep 2023
Delft University of Technology (TU Delft)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
22 Oct 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
A PhD position has become available at the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering of TU Delft, department of Flow, Propulsion and Technology (FPT), Chair of Sustainable Aircraft Propulsion (SAP), within the context of development of hydrogen-based technologies for combustion systems.
We are racing against time to find a clean, yet abundant, energy source able to arrest global warming. Hydrogen has all the characteristics to address this challenge: it can be produced cleanly from water; it is incredibly energetic; and more importantly, it is carbon-free. However, hydrogen’s strong reactivity and diffusivity make the control of its flame in energy-generation devices extremely challenging. Moreover, toxic nitric oxides (NOx), a major concern for air quality, are still abundantly produced in a hydrogen flame. Enabling the use of hydrogen requires thus solutions where the flame is stable and with ultra-low NOx at the same time, and at any power setting.
The present research will explore innovative methods to suppress NOx and keep the flame stable at the same time, such as water injection, intensive strain, cold injection and magnetic conditioning. The assessment and control of the flame dynamic response under different conditions and combustion regimes is an integral aspect of this research. The flame dynamics will be fully characterised by using high-fidelity large eddy simulations and theoretical analyses. The final goal is to achieve control of the hydrogen flame at any power setting, so to pave the way for the exploitation of green energy.
The position will involve a strong interaction with the experimentalists and other researchers in the SAP group. You are expected to begin the activities by early 2024.
You must hold an MSc in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering, or related subjects (math, physics), and must demonstrate:
- Excellent analytical skills and outstanding track record in the disciplines related to the research subject.
- A passion for fluid dynamics and power generation systems.
- A background or a thesis in the area of combustion CFD, preferably in the area flame dynamics analysis (e.g. thermoacoustics).
- An aptitude for coding and software development. Preferably previous experience with one or more of the following: Matlab, Python, C++, Fortran.
- An aptitude for team-work and effective communication in an international environment.
Doing a PhD at TU Delft requires English proficiency at a certain level to ensure that the candidate is able to communicate and interact well, participate in English-taught Doctoral Education courses, and write scientific articles and a final thesis. For more details please check the Graduate Schools Admission Requirements.
Doctoral candidates will be offered a 4-year period of employment in principle, but in the form of 2 employment contracts. An initial 1,5 year contract with an official go/no go progress assessment within 15 months. Followed by an additional contract for the remaining 2,5 years assuming everything goes well and performance requirements are met.
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, increasing from € 2770 per month in the first year to € 3539 in the fourth year. As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the TU Delft Graduate School. The TU Delft Graduate School provides an inspiring research environment with an excellent team of supervisors, academic staff and a mentor. The Doctoral Education Programme is aimed at developing your transferable, discipline-related and research skills.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, discounts on health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged.
For international applicants, TU Delft has the Coming to Delft Service . This service provides information for new international employees to help you prepare the relocation and to settle in the Netherlands. The Coming to Delft Service offers a Dual Career Programme for partners and they organise events to expand your (social) network.
Are you interested in this vacancy? Please apply before 20 Octotober 2023 via the application button and upload:
- A motivation Letter (max 900 words)
- Curriculum Vitae including complete address, phone number, email address, educational background, language skills, and work experience.
- Copies of bachelor and master diploma and transcript of grades in English.
- Copy of the master thesis dissertation.
- A pre-employment screening can be part of the selection procedure.
- Applying for an exemption for specific research and educational areas is an obligatory part of the selection procedure for this vacancy. This exemption must be obtained from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) before an employment contract is agreed upon. Click here for more information.
- You can apply online. We will not process applications sent by email and/or post.
- Please do not contact us for unsolicited services.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Dr Ivan Langella via email at email@example.com .
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Delft University of Technology
- Postal Code
- 2628 CD
- Mekelweg 2
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Position Advancement Of The Integrated Battery Electrolyser For Renewable Electricity Storage And Conversion To Hydrogen, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Advancement of the integrated battery-electrolyser for renewable electricity storage and conversion to hydrogen. The integrated nickel-iron battery and alkaline electrolyser is meant for storage o...
Ph D Position Radar Signal Processing For Next Generation Vehicular Networks , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 39 minutes ago
Automotives in next-generation vehicular networks will be equipped with advanced communication and multi-modal sensing capabilities. Existing radar sensing solutions, however, are not designed to ...
Ph D Position Foundation Of Stochastic Partial Differential Equations , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Foundations of Stochastic Partial Differential Equations (FoundSPDE). At the Delft Institute for Applied Mathematics (DIAM), part of Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), NL, a full-time PhD ...
Ph D Position Aging Solar Sails For Space Debris Removal , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 15 minutes ago
The “streets in space” are lined with garbage. Operational satellites that are vital to our everyday lives share their orbits with thousands of pieces of debris. An impact from such a debris objec...
Ph D Position Sequential Decision Making, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 43 minutes ago
Reinforcement learning has led to major breakthroughs, from beating champions in complex games to enabling autonomous navigation. However, the limited understanding of how reinforcement learning a...
Ph D Position In Cutting Edge Control Systems, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 30 minutes ago
Design the Future of Control Engineering with SMART Imaging! Are you ready to take control engineering to unprecedented heights? Join the cutting-edge research consortium SMART Imaging (SI) and be...