9 Sep 2023
University of Twente (UT)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
13 Oct 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
CISCON is a consortium that gathers 3 major Dutch universities (University of Twente, Delft University of Technology, and Leiden University) and the Marin Maritime Research Institute Netherlands . This project is focused on cavitation inception on ship propellers with the aim of reducing maritime noise pollution. The position described here will be hosted by the University of Twente and will investigate the physics of cavitation in controlled and miniaturized fluidic systems in order to overcome the shortcomings of current cavitation models
Ship propulsion at high speed or under adverse conditions causes cavitation, a hydrodynamic phenomenon that leads to an important increase in underwater radiated noise thereby affecting the ship’s signature and marine life in a negative way. Therefore, both ecological, economical and strategic reasons call for the reduction of cavitation. This project 1) acquires fundamental knowledge on the phenomenon, 2) models and predicts the moment when cavitation inception occurs in various conditions, and 3) applies this knowledge at the training center of the Royal Netherlands Navy to develop the preconditions for real life navigation that allow for minimizing cavitation.
State of the art: It has been known for several decades that sheet cavitation inception depends both on the physical properties of the liquid, the surface shape and roughness and the flow conditions. Recently, high-speed observations on the microscale have enabled a detailed phenomenological description of cavitation inception on isolated roughness elements, micropits, and smooth surfaces. These studies indicate that the entrainment of a bubble into a separated flow region near the surface is an essential step for surface cavitation inception. However, poor control over surface characteristics and water quality, as well as limited spatiotemporal resolution have hindered a complete understanding of the physical mechanisms at stake, owing, furthermore, to the missing details of the local flow velocities and pressures . However, a microchannel is well suited to study the details of hydrodynamic cavitation. Moreover, the microscale environment enables detailed investigations of the flow and surface characteristics.
Objectives: We propose to conduct a well-controlled and detailed multiscale study of the full parameter space governing surface cavitation inception in a microchannel to fully explain the underlying physical mechanisms. The microchannel will provide full control over flow, surface characteristics and water quality.
- You will be embedded in the Physics of Fluids group of the University of Twente. This will give you access to state-of-the-art facilities and scientific knowledge. Beyond your direct collaborators of the project
- You will also interact with direct colleagues in the group on a scientific level, with the technical staff that will support you in designing efficient experimental setups (for example).
- You will therefore have all the guidance you may require in your local environment, as well as the freedom to apply your own ideas and intuitions.
- You have a Master’s degree in physics, engineering.
- You are a team player and enjoy interdisciplinary work.
- You have good communication skills, and you are driven by scientific curiosity.
- You can speak and write English proficiently.
- The PhD salary is € 2.770,- in the first year and increases to € 3.539,- in the fourth year.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. (14 months)
- The number of holiday hours for full-time employment is 232 hours per calendar year (i.e., full time).
- A personal development program within the Twente Graduate School.
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid)
- Free access to sports facilities on campus
- The University offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues
Your reaction should include an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation, a detailed CV, and an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education. If you have any question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org . An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure.
For more information about the position, you are encouraged to contact Guillaume Lajoinie: email@example.com )
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Twente
- Postal Code
- Drienerlolaan 5
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Position In Influence Of Suspended Particles On Cavity Inception And Dynamics , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 19 hours ago
100%, fixed-term Project background Hydrodynamic cavitation (HC) is known for causing damage on machines, pipelines, and equipment due to the formation and implosion of tiny gas bubbles and local ...
Ph D Opportunity: Photoacoustic/Ultrasound Imaging For Improved Prostate Cancer Diagnosis, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Vacancies PhD Opportunity: Photoacoustic/Ultrasound Imaging for improved prostate cancer diagnosis Key takeaways Transrectal Ultrasound (TRUS)-guided biopsy is currently the gold standard for pros...
Ph D Position On Radio Systems, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Key takeaways The Radio Systems (RS) group of the University of Twente (UT) has a vacancy for a PhD candidate with the aim to define the system-level requirements for joint communication and sensi...
Ph D Position On The Fundamentals Of Microfluidic Lipid Nanoparticle Formation, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Vacancies PhD position on the fundamentals of microfluidic lipid nanoparticle formation Key takeaways You will be part of the highly multidisciplinary consortium NANOSPRESSO-NL (8 M€). We aim to s...
Ph D Position Synthesis Of Dynamic Molecular Switches For Brain Inspired Computing, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Vacancies PhD-position Synthesis of dynamic molecular switches for brain-inspired computing Key takeaways Our brains are incredibly energy efficient and can process incredible amounts of data a m...
2 Ph D Positions On Microfluidic Microbubbles For Functional Ultrasound Sensing, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Vacancies 2 PhD positions on microfluidic microbubbles for functional ultrasound sensing Key takeaways The MICOMAUS project is a 1.98 M€ project funded by the European Research Council on Sophisti...